Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A simple help request & question for GreenValueHost. 2014 promotion VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A simple help request & question for GreenValueHost. 2014 promotion VPS

kyakykyaky Member
edited January 2014 in General

I saw a few negative comments about GreenValueHost from the forum. I didn't believe. I still decided to give a try. After 9 hours pending order, I finally got the VPS online. I'm "amazed" they gave me a "8T" RAM VPS. I submitted a ticket but it's not showed in the ticket system at all.

As you can see from the screenshot, the ram allocated is incorrect(screenshot 1&2).

I wanted to figure out how much ram on earth this VPS has been allocated so I used the following C code. (when you are not sure about your vps, feel free to use the following code.)

echo 'void main(){ int z;for (z=0;z<16384;z++){ void *t=malloc(1048576);memset(t,1,1048576); printf("Allocated: %dM\n", z);} int i ; scanf("%d\n",&i); }' >> test.c

swapoff -a (turn swap off before test if testing KVM/XEN)

gcc test.c && ./a.out

Allocated: 365M Allocated: 366M Allocated: 367M Allocated: 368M Allocated: 369M Allocated: 370M Allocated: 371M Allocated: 372M Segmentation fault

a few tests from other VPS providers

WeLoveServers:

Allocated: 3657M Allocated: 3658M Allocated: 3659M Allocated: 3660M Allocated: 3661M Allocated: 3662M Allocated: 3663M Killed

XenPower:

Allocated: 2501M Allocated: 2502M Allocated: 2503M Allocated: 2504M Allocated: 2505M Allocated: 2506M Allocated: 2507M Allocated: 2508M Allocated: 2509M

I'm just saying the program works.
So the total ram I can use for this GVH VPS is less than 1G which is far from what it was promised in the plan.

LET Exclusive New Years Special #3 - $5.00/month OR $40.00/year (BEST VALUE!) OpenVZ Virtualization 290GB SSD Accelerated RAID-10 Disk Space 30TB Premium Bandwidth @ 1Gbps Port 4048MB Guaranteed RAM 6144MB Burstable RAM 2 IPv4 $5.00/month OR $40.00/year - NO CONTRACTS and NO BS -

I know everyone over sell when they use OpenVZ. I just kindly want to know from GVH, what can you do to my VPS now?

Seriously I don't care how much you over sell your VPS but I just want to get what it's promised in the plan. If you can't do it, please don't promise, don't say "Guaranteed RAM". that's all. Please provide a solution. nothing to get mad just a help request.

Comments

• edited January 2014

Lol. That might be a system error (you can't actually use 8TB ram). However, in the table it shows that you have 3.95GB ram and 6GB burst.
    @GreenValueHost

• @Andy said:
    Lol. That might be a system error (you can't actually use 8TB ram). However, in the table it shows that you have 3.95GB ram and 6GB burst.
    GreenValueHost

Of course I know 8T is a glitch. I'm just saying it's totally glitched

• @kyaky said:
    Of course I know 8T is a glitch. I'm just saying it's totally glitched

Can you run a Serverbear on it?

• @Andy said:

I'm not going to since the simple I/O test shows extremely slow. I don't want to run Serverbear and get hanged at its I/O test forever.

• E3-1240 can handle only 32G ram, it means one node will only can have 8 users with such plan (4048MB Guaranteed RAM), but do you think it possible? lol

• Can you show the output of

time echo "scale=5000; 4*a(1)" | bc -l -q

• kyakykyaky Member
    edited January 2014

@hotsnow said:
    E3-1240 can handle only 32G ram, it means one node will only can have 8 users with such plan (4048MB Guaranteed RAM), but do you think it possible? lol

I have E3 L55XX 56XX dedis. I know it's not possible. but why should I shut up when it gets too ridiculous? I didn't know they were using E3. If it was an E5, then the ram shouldn't be a problem.

• @Andy said:
    Can you show the output of

time echo "scale=5000; 4*a(1)" | bc -l -q

I'm going to make a cup of coffee and later post you the result. It's still running.

• @kyaky said:
    I have E3 L55XX 56XX dedis. I know it's not possible. but why should I shut up when it gets too ridiculous?

yep, it means only endless oversold can explain this :)

• @kyaky said:
    I'm going to make a cup of coffee and later post you the result. It's still running.

Sure, just post the last 3 lines of output and ignore all others.

• @Andy said:

nothing has come out yet, I'm afraid.

• @kyaky said:

It should take under 1 minute for a 4GB VPS.

• @hotsnow said:

Don't say that, that's TOO rude. :)

• @Andy said:
    It should take under 1 minute for a 4GB VPS.

real 0m17.304s
    user 0m17.252s
    sys 0m0.050s

• VPNVPN Member

I've seen this 8TB glitch with OpenVZ containers before so its no big deal.

Definitely an oversold node.

But what did you expect from GVH, you should of trusted the reviews you read.

• kyakykyaky Member
    edited January 2014

@OkieDoke said:
    I've seen this 8TB glitch with OpenVZ containers before so its no big deal.

Definitely an oversold node.

But what did you expect from GVH, you should of trusted the reviews you read.

You have told me many times "I should , I should" in my previous posts. thank you!

I saw you did what "you should" with the Danish ssl certificate, still got fvcked. didn't you xD

• GVH is extremely slow..my vps on host1free is lil bit faster than GVH with 100+days uptime...

• http://lowendbox.com/blog/how-to-tell-your-openvz-vps-is-swapping/

May be this can help you to check your guaranteed RAM

• @SayangAlif said:
    http://lowendbox.com/blog/how-to-tell-your-openvz-vps-is-swapping/

May be this can help you to check your guaranteed RAM

thanks, the C code in this post works good too.

• nfmnfm Member
    edited January 2014

The code is great!

echo "#include <stdlib.h>" > test.c

echo 'void main(){ int z;for (z=0;z<16384;z++){ void *t=malloc(1048576);  memset(t,1,1048576); printf("Allocated: %dM\n", z);} int i ; scanf("%d\n",&i); }' >> test.c

gcc test.c && ./a.out

• @nfm said:
    The code is great!

Rather long winded way of writing to the file test.c.

• The 8TB is a SolusVM OpenVZ glitch. You need to log in to your client area and submit a ticket to Customer Service if you are seeing this so we can fix it for you.

Emailing [email protected] isn't going to pipe into our helpdesk.

• @dragz said:
    GVH is extremely slow..my vps on host1free is lil bit faster than GVH with 100+days uptime...

@dragz - Do you have any evidence to back up this claim? You may have done tests during a time when the CPU load on the node was spiking due to our revised, more lenient CPU abuse policy that our clients wanted.

• kyakykyaky Member
    edited January 2014

@GreenValueHost said:
    dragz - Do you have any evidence to back up this claim? You may have done tests during a time when the CPU load on the node was spiking due to our revised, more lenient CPU abuse policy that our clients wanted.

I will, I just want to know if

"4048MB Guaranteed RAM
    6144MB Burstable RAM"

in the plan still can be promised even after this 8T glitch is fixed? If GVH can, I still would like to keep the VPS otherwise please just provide a fund according to the policy. My request is reasonable, isn't it?

Thanks for your reply.

• VirtovoVirtovo Member
    edited January 2014

The error with 8TB RAM occurs when the provider enables vSwap on a container that is on a host node with a kernel that lacks vswap support. It's the same issue that was addressed here: http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/427998/#Comment_427998

Or has set burstable RAM on a node that is vswap based.

• @nfm said:
    The code is great!

echo "#include <stdlib.h>" > test.c

echo 'void main(){ int z;for (z=0;z<16384;z++){ void *t=malloc(1048576);  memset(t,1,1048576); printf("Allocated: %dM\n", z);} int i ; scanf("%d\n",&i); }' >> test.c

gcc test.c && ./a.out

How can I run this code on my debian 7 vps?

• @trexos said:
    How can I run this code on my debian 7 vps?

Install build-essential or gcc.

Thanked by 1trexos
  • @0xdragon

Thank you, So the script tests how much RAM it can use?

• @trexos said:
    0xdragon

Thank you, So the script tests how much RAM it can use?

yes,it does.

Thanked by 1trexos
  • kyaky said: I will, I just want to know if

"4048MB Guaranteed RAM 6144MB Burstable RAM"

in the plan still can be promised even after this 8T glitch is fixed? If GVH can, I still would like to keep the VPS otherwise please just provide a fund according to the policy. My request is reasonable, isn't it?

Thanks for your reply.

Expect a reply from GVH saying: "Sorry, we can't understand your English. You are terminated."

This discussion has been closed.