Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows XP end of support countdown
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows XP end of support countdown

mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Follow the countdown at this link
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/business/campaigns/get-modern

If you haven't planned the migratinn to a newer OS then you are really late.

Thanked by 1Janevski

Comments

• Well, for consumer this is usually not a problem. It's those corporate machines that were installed with some legacy applications that matter.

That is also why IE6 still exists till date.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • Welp I guess it's time to change from windows XP to debian on all my older desktops

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I am changing to Debian too for the oldest desktops

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Get a linux distro, video4linux worked with all my capture cards to date (some really old).

• CLUSTER ERRORS EVERYWHERE!

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

The cluster could be running windows XP

• VPNVPN Member

Wow, I thought they stopped support of XP years ago?

Its 13 years old now, we've had Windows 7 now for 4 years so really companies should of been preparing the switch back then.

• @OkieDoke said:
    Wow, I thought they stopped support of XP years ago?

Its 13 years old now, we've had Windows 7 now for 4 years so really companies should of been preparing the switch back then.

13 years is not such a long imeline when looking at embedded systems. Most ATMs are running on XP embedded, just like industrial machinery. Simply updating to Windows 7 is a no-go there. That said, I'm not quite sure if the support for XP embedded does even stop 2014 or if they provide extended support for it.

• VPNVPN Member

I didn't know that, that would explain it then.

You could check the lifetime for each product here: http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?alpha=windows+xp

• Luckily I'm using a Mac :), but I need to update my Windows XP to 7 or 8 on my VirtualBox, though.

• @MikHo said:
    You could check the lifetime for each product here: http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?alpha=windows+xp

Interesting. So for XP embedded the extended support ends in 2016.

@skagerrak said:
    Interesting. So for XP embedded the extended support ends in 2016.

I was at a MS event regarding the "upgrade" from XP embedded to Win7 embedded....
    I only went because a customer of ours PXE boots embedded images to their online gambling machines.

The Filesize for a complete OS image increased 3-4 times if they should upgrade to Win7 embedded.... ridiculous

• said: Follow the countdown at this link http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/business/campaigns/get-modern

If you haven't planned the migratinn to a newer OS then you are really late.

"On April 8, 2014, Microsoft will end support for the decade-old Windows XP."

They should have said "On April 1, 2014..." and then did it for real, just for the lulz.

Anyhow, if i understood Microsoft subliminal messaging well, it is quite possible that every XP device is going to blow up after 08-01-2014.

Joke aside, i've personally migrated to Linux years ago, LEB market is Linux driven also, Windows Server is a different branch, embedded XP devices will run as long as they run and then get replaced with something new, paying users have migrated to Win7, pirate users don't care about Microsoft Support Center, problems might arise for some cheapskate small companies that run a decade old "legacy" closed source software services on practically abandoned XP boxes, however they most likely don't even use updates so it won't be a problem.

Never the less, 08-01-2014 is a milestone day.

Xp was a nice OS because you could change it into almost anything.
    The same reason was it the very easy for someone else to take over and do bad stuff.

It's a milestone for sure.

• ATM machine operators will keep paying the extra support costs to Microsoft involved in this. It's a win-win for Microsoft. If they keep using XP, they'll make money with higher than usual support fees, if manufacturers choose to upgrade, they still win by purchasing the new hardware and sign a new support agreement.

Or as mentioned above, they just move to Linux.

• Windows XP was my favorite Windows release to date. Sad to see it go, but it's time.

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited January 2014

I have XP on a special-purpose machine on my LAN, was installed many years ago from an XP-SP2 CD, was never updated and never will be. It just soldiers on doing its job, has never crashed or given a moment's trouble. Gets rebooted every now and then by the power company :)

• I will miss Windows XP too, but as someone said here was very easy for someone else to take over and do bad stuff...

• Greatest OS ever made by microsoft!

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

I will not miss XP, as it's more than 10 years old operational system and should be retired now. I do remember issues that need to install drivers in specific order as I had USB phone and webcam and the OS was confused about mic.