Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SimplerCloud 1 Month Review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SimplerCloud 1 Month Review

Hi guys, I picked up their $5 promo a month (ongoing 2 months now) before, and have been testing their cloud vps.

First of all, benchmark result:

Just after purchasing:
wget http://freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash

CPU model : QEMU Virtual CPU version 1.5.1

Number of cores : 1

CPU frequency : 2599.998 MHz

Total amount of ram : 996 MB

Total amount of swap : 2015 MB

System uptime : 6:49,

Download speed from CacheFly: 7.41MB/s

Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 328KB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 358KB/s

Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 345KB/s

Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 211KB/s

Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 206KB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 567KB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 201KB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 276KB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 436KB/s

I/O speed : 59.3 MB/s

I/O speed varies a lot, and I have seen numbers as low as below:

[root@sc-centos64-64b-14 ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
16384+0 records in
16384+0 records out

1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 53.4645 s, 20.1 MB/s

and as high as:

[root@sc-centos64-64b-14 ~]# wget http://freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
CPU model : QEMU Virtual CPU version 1.5.1
Number of cores : 1
CPU frequency : 2599.998 MHz
Total amount of ram : 996 MB
Total amount of swap : 2015 MB
System uptime : 1 day, 19:58,
Download speed from CacheFly: 8.90MB/s
Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 777KB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 411KB/s
Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 687KB/s
Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 553KB/s
Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 269KB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 723KB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 310KB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 511KB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 324KB/s

I/O speed : 162 MB/s

Real world usage
Regardless of benchmark, we know that real world usage is more important. Real world usage seems quick enough and I have installed WP and Presta (no issue with waiting time while loading, time to first byte) just fine, although I did not stress test it yet. Transfer speed to singapore server is good, I can get up to 10MBPS, international wise it fluctuates but I've seen numbers up to 1MBPS.

Plus Features
You get 10GB free space for your OS, so this is good, but you have to mount your data drive, which might not be so newbie friendly.

Control Panel
It was a bit confusing at first, also you can only reinstall your os through opening a ticket at the moment, but they said its auto reinstall is under development.

Billing
Note that their billing is not like DigitalOcean, you are billed fixed per month regardless it is on or off, rather than by usage time.

Conclusion
Overall I think it is a good box, and a value for the price in the Asia region. It can be a worthy competitor to the current vps provider in the region when its system is more mature.

Thanked by 1indrapr

Comments

• That is ssd io speed?

• @budi1413 said:
    That is ssd io speed?

I am also wondering about IO, I opened a ticket but they say its normal.

• Stop abusing "dd", use ioping instead. :)

• redoredo Member
    edited February 2014

Edited

• instatechinstatech Member
    edited February 2014

Horrible benchmark you should open ticket ask them to fix IO and download speed.

• TheCTSTheCTS Member
    edited February 2014

I could load something on a flash drive and drive it to my destination faster than you could with that IO/download speed. I don't see how that is even remotely normal unless they're using IDE cables in their servers.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

The network speed is truly horrendous and "Asia" is not an excuse, all asian providers I used or saw benchmarks of, have vastly better network speeds. At the very least it should be in megabytes per second from Linode Tokyo, and from the US west coast.

• i got no problem with them, have been with them for more than 3 months

• very low disk io for a ssd vps
    20.1 MB/s IO is NORMAL in SSD VPS? wow

• well, it's having issues since a couple hours ago, pingdom keeps reporting it as up and down and up and down. Also, their website seems to be inaccessible as well.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@TheCTS said:
    I could load something on a flash drive and drive it to my destination faster than you could with that IO/download speed. I don't see how that is even remotely normal unless they're using IDE cables in their servers.

Flash drives manages at top 13MB/s (normal ones)

• @netomx said:
    Flash drives manages at top 13MB/s (normal ones)

Not USB 3.0. You can get 10x that speed.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@TheCTS said:
    Not USB 3.0. You can get 10x that speed.

I haven't seen them in Mexico ATM :(

• indraprindrapr Member
    edited June 2014

Hi everyone,

Indra from @SimplerCloud here. Thanks for all your feedback, and thanks @Projectpop for the great review. :) Apologise for replying to an old thread, didn't manage to reply to this thread earlier.

I am pleased to inform you that we have been working on addressing the slow I/O speed issue after some optimisation activity on our storage cluster that we have in the past couple of months. We're seeing consistent speed range of 200-350MB/s now on our storage cluster.

root@Ubuntu1404-64bit:/data# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 3.57324 s, 300 MB/s

root@Ubuntu1404-64bit:/data# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 2.53439 s, 424 MB/s

16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 4.27396 s, 251 MB/s

root@Ubuntu1404-64bit:/data# dd if=/dev/zero of=test1 bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 4.38435 s, 245 MB/s

16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 2.76179 s, 389 MB/s

With regards to the data disk, you do not have to mount your own data drive, except for only a few OS templates. This may have been an issue from several months ago. Formatting and mounting data-disks are automated via an initialisation script which runs once after the first boot-up; if it fails to run under certain circumstances, we provide instructions on how to run the script to format and mount it (or just ask us for help).

Servelet OS reinstallation (either using the same OS template or a different OS template) is now self-service via the portal, no longer need to open up a ticket with us.

With regards to the download speed - our total bandwidth is less than some providers mentioned, but in-real-world factors are: we don't see this affecting any process needed for server hosting, such as hosting of web site, email, CPanel, applications, databases. We aren't the best choice if fast VPN for fast, continuous streaming for certain activities is what you want, but for real world and corporate use, application/database hosting, we are not seeing any issues with our customers. Our AUP doesn't allow gaming servers and some misc to be hosted within our cloud infrastructure. Our bandwidth utilisation is less than 40% and we don't share/oversell, and we will always upgrade our bandwidth as we grow. We also have direct SGIX connection (http://simplercloud.wordpress.com/2014/02/28/improved-redundancy-and-diversity-with-our-new-sgix-connection/) so our local routing diversity is excellent.

Here's more to think about: our $10/mth and up cloud service is a true cloud service with failover, we use a distributed storage, not local storage. We provide a number of advanced cloud hosting services - for example, we have launched private cloud capability under Virtual Private Cloud services, so you can have your own dedicated private VLAN/network with firewall/VPN/load balancing features, new Idera online backup service, full Plesk control panel offering, etc. So we offer value in providing additional managed services requested by many of our customers, such as managed system administration services, cPanel / Plesk / DirectAdmin control panel licenses, etc.

We're going to try to have a special Lowendtalk offer just for members next week. :) If anyone is interested, PM me for our current 30% coupon information, or you can check out our web site.

I hope I can answer all your enquiries and concerns, especially on the I/O speed matter. Please do not hesitate to reply to this thread if you have further enquiries.

Thank you.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@indrapr I like that you are being open and informative about the connectivity-related stuff. Just tried downloading from your Speedtest at http://103.25.202.105/ to a host in Japan, it averaged at 50 Mbit/sec, much faster than the results posted in the review above. Looks like the network is now indeed better.

Thanked by 1indrapr
  • netomx said: I haven't seen them in Mexico ATM :(

really? maybe take a lookat amazon then? USB 3 is amazing. Flash Drive am using here is nearly as fast as a HDD

http://puu.sh/9g1Go/0809e7e6fb.png

• @indrapr

Your network seems extremely fast, am based in UK and getting just over 50Mbps (On a VDSL2 Connection) amazing!

Thanked by 1indrapr
  • Thanks @rm_ and @TarZZ92 for your replies. :) We do have a UK-based customer who has been with us since last year.