Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best LEB-friendly forum software?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best LEB-friendly forum software?

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
edited March 2012 in General

What is the best LEB-friendly forum software?

MyBB? phpBB? SMF? Or is there some micro-forum software optimized for low-mem?

Something with an option to use sqlite would be extra awesome, though I'm aware write contention on sqlite is pretty hideous.

Comments

• KairusKairus Member
    edited March 2012

Depends how many features you want. FluxBB is super light. I benchmarked it as well as IPB and XenForo with apachebench and Flux would finish 3x faster than the other two (on threads and main page)

• I ran phpBB on a 128/256 VPS, wasn't very traffic heavy though.

• tuxtux Member

My MyBB setup use only 55 MB memory with php5-fpm, percona and nginx.

• gianggiang Veteran

I'm running 2 MyBB forums on LEB too :D They are working great :P Memory is less than 128MB on both boxes :D

• i'll have to say mybb like the rest as well. I have had bad experience with SMF, especially the spam bug.

• gsxgsx Member
    edited March 2012

+1 for FluxBB although I do love using VanillaForums.

Many of the "non-MySQL" php forums aren't written too well.

• @cosmicgate said: i'll have to say mybb like the rest as well. I have had bad experience with SMF, especially the spam bug.

I have a myBB forum that receives way to many junk signup's. Ran a flux in the past with the same issue. Overall though, FluxBB is probably the least memory intensive that you could run comfortably that compares to the options listed above.

• RophRoph Member

I've had experience with SMF forums large and small. SMF 2 has made great performance leaps over SMF 1. During when I was moving a few sites around I setup a temporary SMF board on one of my LEBs, it was pretty fast.

There are a number of things you can do to help speed it up from a default install, if you choose that option :)

Thanked by 2raindog308 yomero
  • @Roph OMG! Excelent post, thanks for the info (SMF user here) I will consider this if my forum gets slow some day...

• @speckl said: I have a myBB forum that receives way to many junk signup's. Ran a flux in the past with the same issue. Overall though, FluxBB is probably the least memory intensive that you could run comfortably that compares to the options listed above.

There are mods to install reCAPTCHA, works great and will solve the problem.

• gianggiang Veteran

@Kairus said: There are mods to install reCAPTCHA, works great and will solve the problem.

Didn't work on my forums :( Spammers can by pass or manual enter the captcha :D

• UseBB is very lightweight, but doesn't have all the features of the other boards mentioned here.

• klikliklikli Member
    edited March 2012

@giang said: Didn't work on my forums :( Spammers can by pass or manual enter the captcha :D

Time for CloudFlare.

(Oh just a side chat,haven't see you at GTalk quite a while. :P)

• cr08cr08 Member

PunBB is one I really like and suggest for something lightweight. Though, FWIW, I have only personally used it and PhpBB. I settled on PunBB when I used it because it was the most and easily extensible and customizable but also extremely lightweight given the functionality.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

FluxBB is light but I just didn't like it, I used to run a fairly high traffic MyBB forum on 512mb although I'm sure it could have run on 256 or smaller.

• FluxBB is the shit guys. It's easy to modify too.

@Infinity link?

• RamHost uses fluxxBB for their site's forum: https://forum.ramhost.us/bbs/

• @onetwo I like the bbs in their links, makes me want to go back to the real telnet style bulletin board systems...

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • Vanilla Forums can run on a 128mb. Don't use CentOS and Apache, though.

• I'm interested to know how the proper way of doing a benchmark for forum scripts, I will gladly do this on my shiny BlueVM KVM

• @yowmamasita said: I'm interested to know how the proper way of doing a benchmark for forum scripts

actually I think you could look how many database queries it makes. you can remove stuff to do it make less.

• MyBB has worked great for me on 128-256mb (Xen or KVM) VPSs.

• tuxtux Member

@speckl said: I have a myBB forum that receives way to many junk signup's.

You need some spam protection plugin:

• Akismet (included in MyBB)
    • GMail Sanitizer
    • Registration Security Question
    • Stop forum spam
  • KairusKairus Member
    edited March 2012

@yowmamasita said: I'm interested to know how the proper way of doing a benchmark for forum scripts, I will gladly do this on my shiny BlueVM KVM

Best way, install all the forums on the same server, then hit them with apachebench (from another machine). See what uses the least memory/cpu and maximizes requests/second. (test multiple pages; main page, forum thread, index, etc).

If you could fill the database up and then do this, it'd be even better, but too much work imo.

• jhjh Member

I came across this the other day. It's nice.

https://github.com/courtenay/altered_beast

• Another +1 for FluxBB!

• debugdebug Member

@jtodd Ruby is not friendly for LEBs

• jhjh Member

@debug said: Ruby is not friendly for LEBs

How low end are you talking? I imagine it's a lot more efficient that phpBB for example, and it's actually a really nice script too.

• If it's a small forum what about MyBB and sqlite? As long as the writes are not all that often sqlite can work pretty well.