Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about Hetzner dedicated servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Question about Hetzner dedicated servers

littleguylittleguy Member
edited January 2014 in Providers

I'm looking at purchasing their "Dedicated Root Server EX40"
http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/produkte_rootserver/ex40

Great specs for the price.

Now, a question arose regarding how I can contact the server aside from SSH. For example, if the server has crashed, and I want to see what exactly is on the monitor to diagnose.

Hetzner has a "KVM-over-IP Remote Management" option, but it's prohibitively expensive. (It costs 183 EUR just to set up!)

But is this really the only option to see the monitor when you don't have SSH? I mean, what happens when the server goes down and you have to investigate the cause? I'm surely not the first one to be in this situation...

https://robot.your-server.de/order/server/product/427/category/rootserver/culture/en_GB

Hoping someone can shed light on this, or if you know of other EU providers with similar pricing and a cheaper KVM option.

Thanks beforehand!

Comments

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

They have a rescue mode as well which is some kind of cut down debian or BSD if I recall right where you can mount your disks/check status of the system. It's not as good as remote KVM but for most tasks is probably sufficient.

By the way if you don't have that KVM over IP management and you have hardware problems last I used them they will connect a KVM over IP thing for you temporarily for free but this obviously involves dealing with their support team.

• @Oliver said:
    By the way if you don't have that KVM over IP management and you have hardware problems last I used them they will connect a KVM over IP thing for you temporarily for free but this obviously involves dealing with their support team.

Great to know that!

What is their hardware policy btw? Do they replace faulty hardware for free? Is it your responsibility as server owner to determine when the hardware is failing or do they run some kind of monitoring?

• You always can consider www.seflow.it

most of the time they have good deals.

In their control panel you can buy kvm-over-ip for around 11 euros, this will give you 24 hours access to that feature.

• ngstargatengstargate Member
    edited January 2014

you can reboot server in rescue mode and investigate configs.
    and you can use LARA http://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/LARA/en

• hoczajhoczaj Member
    edited January 2014

We have two servers with them, for years now. Back in time that package that you are looking at was a i7-920. :)
    Then after a while we ordered another server from them with a 2nd generation i7.

We had some hardware issues on the 2nd one. (2nd hdd died 3 times) they replaced it in almost no-time.

Their 78.46.39.* DC sometimes have some problems. Probably heavy DDOS attack. Sometimes it takes 4-5 minutes until they solve it [possibly null routing the server's ip which is under attack]. But the another one 176.9.100.* has 100% uptime. I have NEVER seen it down due network problems. :)

Server 1's uptime:
    08:34:51 up 98 days, 23 min, 1 user, load average: 0.34, 0.41, 0.44 (98 days because of updating kernel)
    Server 2's uptime:
    08:36:16 up 493 days, 5:00, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.03, 0.01

About the rescue system:
    If we had some issue (like dead hardware, or messed up kernel [that one is an own fault ofcourse]), it was really easy to handle it with this rescue system. So I'm sure, that if you have some unix skills, you can solve almost everything with the rescue system.

Abuse handling:
    When we had a spammer customer Hetzner sent us the complaint and they wanted us to resolve it, and report how did we resolv. If you do not do anything, they just gonna null route that IP. If i'm correct it depends on the abuse report but you have 24-48-72 hours to make action. (FYI: If you have 2 ip per server, then the second one will be still accessible even if you did not act in the given time.)

So overall:
    Their support, servers, network are great. When we need to deploy additional servers, we definitely going with Hetzner.

If you want, I can do a benchmark on our rented servers for you. :)

Thanked by 1karjaj
  • Had 2 servers with them, no issues overall. Great support. I would recommend you to choose them.

Keep in mind you would have to pay 49 € setup and 15 € for ordering any addon.

You could also checkout webtropia.com, they offer similar pricing but not an exact plan I believe..

Thanked by 1hoczaj
  • NateN34NateN34 Member
    edited January 2014

littleguy said: What is their hardware policy btw? Do they replace faulty hardware for free? Is it your responsibility as server owner to determine when the hardware is failing or do they run some kind of monitoring?

You have to let them know. They will run their system stress tests, to determine if the hardware is faulty. If nothing comes up (which lots of times it doesn't), then you have to pay to replace the hardware.

Also note that most their stuff is desktop hardware and not only fails a lot, but has issues.

• @NateN34 how did you thank yourself ? :D

Thanked by 1Ruchirablog
  • @srvrpro said:
    NateN34 how did you thank yourself ? :D

hahaa I want to know about this too