Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap VPS for my own training (installing various test systems)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap VPS for my own training (installing various test systems)

Hi,

I am looking for a cheap VPS ideally located in Europe since I am from Austria.
I'd like to use the VPS primarily to educate myself and to install/test various systems such as Kaltura, Wowza, Moodle, etc. for the purpose of proof of concept. The systems won't be used for production, just for testing. But I think the VPS shouldn't be too weak when I want to test the mentioned systems in conjunction.

I think the following specs should be appropriate:

RAM: >= 1 GB
HDD/SSD: >= 50 GB
BW: not sure. Definitely not much needed
CPU: >= 2 CPUs

The price range should be around 5€ or 7$.

There is currently this offer from Crissic and I'm considering to take the OVZ1024 (4$/mo) offer or even the OVZ2048 (7$/mo).

Can this offer be recommended?

The servers are in America though but I hope it won't make a problem.

Anyone knows whether it is possible to install another OS afterwards?

Sorry for the question but I've never bought a VPS before.

Thanks & kind regards

Comments

• dhamaniasaddhamaniasad Member
    edited January 2014

We could do something for you. You can check out our offers here. Our servers are located in America though. If you aren't experienced with Linux, you could use Turnkey Linux appliances on our KVM plans.

You should be able to reinstall the OS on any VPS, and since you are just planning to use this VPS as a testbed, it being in America or anywhere else shouldn't cause any problems for you. The offer from Crissic looks very nice, and they're considered a great host here.

Thanked by 1philpav
  • http://waveride.at/plans

Vienna & Amsterdam

Thanked by 1philpav
  • I have a 25$/year 1GB/50GB/3cores with @bluevm in Switzerland, I think that would be the best latency for you.

Thanked by 1philpav
  • @philpav

I know it's a little bit expensive but the most reliable provider here (atleast for me).

1024MB RAM
    1024MB VSwap
    4 CPU Core Access
    60GB SSD Space
    1Gbps Port
    3000GB Bandwidth
    1 IPv4 Address (+1 FREE)
    16 IPv6 Addresses
    Automated Weekly Backups
    TUN/TAP

You can get this for $9,3/month in the Netherlands if you use the WOWNUM1 coupon at checkout.

http://tinyurl.com/lbbtfaj

Thanked by 1philpav
  • skybucks100skybucks100 Member
    edited January 2014

Try http://overzold.com/ :

4 CPU Cores

4 GB RAM

40 GB DISK

2000 GB Traffic

Monthly fee: GBP £ 5.00

Thanked by 1philpav
  • Use DigitalOcean for on demand use. So if you're not doing testing you can destroy the droplet.

Thanked by 1philpav
  • use iwstack from prometeus. Hte cloud instances are cheaper and better than digita ocean and you can destroy/save droplets when you don't use them

Thanked by 1philpav
  • DigitalOcean with free credit, easily create, snapshot and destroy droplet...

Thanked by 1philpav
  • @jvnadr said:
    use iwstack from prometeus. Hte cloud instances are cheaper and better than digita ocean and you can destroy/save droplets when you don't use them

Wanted to recommend the same thing; iwStack. It's really perfect in a testing situation like this. You don't pay for a fixed VPS, but can create servers from 384 MB of RAM to 16 GB, run them for some hours, or days, then turn them off or destroy them, and not pay for anything you don't run.

The reason for why I did not recommend them in this thread, is because you need to pay €30 upfront the first time you setup an iwStack cloud account.
    Of course, you can use every cent of that money on the cloud.

Thanked by 1philpav
  • Use DigitalOcean for testing, if not used you can destroy it. The billing is per hour.

• @utama said:
    Use DigitalOcean for testing, if not used you can destroy it. The billing is per hour.

iwStack.com offer better prices, and don't charge you when your servers are turned off. DO charge you for any resources you have added, so if you do not want to pay for a server, you have to delete it.

• alexvolkalexvolk Member
    edited January 2014

@myhken said:

Iwstack indeed charges money for turned off vps.

Thanked by 1philpav
  • @alexvolk said:
    Iwstack indeed charges money for turned off vps.

Just harddrive and snapshots. The price of etc a 2 GB/4vCPU instance is € 0.012/hour. When I have it turned off, I do not get charged for it at all. (yesterday I only used my Windows VPS for 1 hour and got billed €0.012.
    On top of that I pay €0.057600 per day for the 20 GB of primary storage. That price is the same if I'm running the server or not.

Thanked by 1philpav
  • @myhken said:
    Just harddrive and snapshots.

Plus IP.

Thanked by 1philpav
  • @alexvolk said:
    Plus IP.

Yes, in fact you pay for the IP if you are NOT using the server, but if you use the server you don't pay for the IP.
    You only pay for extra IP's, each instance comes with one free IP.

Thanked by 1philpav
  • Wow, thank you all for the many and informative answers!!
    Iwstack sounds quite interesting. Not quite sure yet I know how the billing works. I'll take a look at it and probably come back with some answers ;-)