Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Control panel idea
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Control panel idea

jhjh Member
edited March 2012 in General

I'm thinking about developing a control panel for Linux servers. Something cheap, clean and hopefully very fast. It will be marketed as SaaS, i.e. it will be hosted on one of my servers and will then control your server using an SSH tunnel. This way it won't use up any resources on your server and will be ideal for low end boxes.

I'm thinking of pricing it at around $5/server/month.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• good idea but i would not trust you with giving you my root password.

make it self-hosted.

Thanked by 1Taylor
  • I would never enter my server's root credentials in a panel hosted somewhere else. Too risky - if the server you are hosting the panel on gets compromised...

• jhjh Member
    edited March 2012

Some of the benefits of it being hosted elsewhere would be:
    - Monitoring included
    - Installs itself
    - Updates itself
    - Doesn't use up resources on your server
    - Bulk action across several servers

Security would be dealt with properly but obviously there would be an element of trust there.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2012

I agree with @OneTwo and @rds100. Nah, giving your passwords is a complete no no.. also it's always best when we have full control over our own stuff. Pricing isn't too bad though.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

I think you can use ssh keys with passphrase but trust is still required.... maybe if the server use one time password or token...

• @prometeus good luck explaining how to install a ssh key to someone who can't manage their server without a web panel :)

• jhjh Member

I was thinking that it'd take the password the first time then install a key itself and delete the password.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

I've seen some tutorials for the use of putty and keys, anyway @rds100 you are right, isn't a simple process :)

• So we are talking about a panel literally for controlling Linux VPSs, and not one of those hosting cPanel type thingies? You mean it shows you pretty graphs instead of using top and gives you nice AJAXy buttons for /etc/init.d? If I got a 128mb vps with Debian 6 I could click a button in your panel and it would apply all the leb scripts to minimize memory footprint?

Even if someone gave your panel root access, not all VPS are made alike. What happens if things don't go well with a specific config -- you'll end up providing managed service for $5/mo!

• jhjh Member

@quirkyquark said: So we are talking about a panel literally for controlling Linux VPSs, and not one of those hosting cPanel type thingies? You mean it shows you pretty graphs instead of using top and gives you nice AJAXy buttons for /etc/init.d? If I got a 128mb vps with Debian 6 I could click a button in your panel and it would apply all the leb scripts to minimize memory footprint?

It would also let you install common services, configure them automatically, let you add vhosts, ftp users, email accounts etc.

@quirkyquark said: Even if someone gave your panel root access, not all VPS are made alike. What happens if things don't go well with a specific config -- you'll end up providing managed service for $5/mo!

It would only support stock installs of CentOS to begin with.

• @prometeus said: I've seen some tutorials for the use of putty and keys, anyway @rds100 you are right, isn't a simple process :)

How about a step by step script that walks the user through the process of setting up ssh keys?

• I agree with the above comments, I also would not give out root access to one of my servers unless I either know the person who gets root access or it is the a person from the company that I get the server from.

• JacobJacob Member

Doesn't sound wise on a security side of things, But It is possible if you had some serious security Implementions and things to prevent Malicious users.

• @jtodd said: I'm thinking of pricing it at around $5/server/month.

Too expensive in my opinion. For that money you can get DirectAdmin.

Thanked by 1Taylor
  • jhjh Member

@iKocka said: Too expensive in my opinion. For that money you can get DirectAdmin.

$5/month is peanuts. Sorry...

• @jtodd said: $5/month is peanuts. Sorry...

Sorry. I thought you are developing panel for LEBs. It wouldn't make sense to pay $5 p/m for panel on $15 p/y LEB.

• Honestly, I think the majority of us can handle our own servers, so it doesn't seem like you would get many people interested.

• I think you'll have more luck on WHT than here.

• It also would not make sense to use a new product that doesn't have as much testing, development, and users as another product for the same price. DirectAdmin would be the better choice here for the money.

• @dclardy said: It also would not make sense to use a new product that doesn't have as much testing, development, and users as another product for the same price. DirectAdmin would be the better choice here for the money.

What's really cool is that I know an individual that created a cPanel controlled cloud platform. The ability to have all services on separate cloud components yet controlled by the same control panel is really impressive. I don't believe anyone else has accomplished that yet.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I like the idea but based on your peanuts comment you have obviously marketed this at the wrong crowd, they could set up and install their own in most instances on a separate VPS and have extra functionality for $5 p/month.

Make it more complex and feature rich (and secure) then market it at higher end boxes imo.

Thanked by 3Mon5t3r iKocka Taylor