Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Allow KVM to share node resources?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Allow KVM to share node resources?

ATHKATHK Member

So I'm screwing around with some virtualization on my home server and wanted to know if KVM can fully share resources instead of hogging say 1GB ram + 1CPU?

Comments

• Actually never mind :) found it!

• where, how

:)

• @john_k said:
    where, how

:)

I was using Virt-Manager on Ubuntu it's just a front end wrapper GUI, according to it you can allocate Current Amount of RAM lets say 512MB then a Maximum allocation of 3024 3GB RAM, if that makes sense? http://virt-manager.org/

So my understanding is that if the VM isn't using over 512MB it won't dip into the maximum allow RAM of 3GB unless it needs to, same goes for the CPU.

Thanked by 1john_k
  • In terms of "sharing"/overcommitting memory from the KVM host, you could use ballooning (only supported by Linux guests) and/or kernel sharedpage merging (KSM). Ballooning is what's applied when you use different current/maximum memory values in your virtmanager settings - assuming that it's supported by the guest.

CPU cores are automatically shared unless you apply CPU pinning.

• Ahh fair enough seems I was on the right track then, cheers!