Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Adding a /29 to VMWare VSphere server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Adding a /29 to VMWare VSphere server

zhuanyizhuanyi Member
edited January 2014 in Help

Hi,

I have a dedicated server coloed that currently has a /29 assigned, say for example:

Network: 1.1.1.1

Gateway: 1.1.1.2

Main IP: 1.1.1.3

Free IPs: 1.1.1.4, 1.1.1.5

I have purchased another /29 block recently and the way my colo provider did was, for example:

Network: 1.1.2.1

Gateway: 1.1.1.3 (yes, they told me to use the main IP of the original /29 as the Gateway of the new IP block, in order to save myself another IP block.)

I have VMWare vSphere 5.5 installed on the server and my understanding is that most of the time VMWare was supposed to take care of the IP assignments automatically (not DHCP but it will be able to know these are the IPs that are bind to the server).

However when I tried to install Debian 6 on one of the instance I created, I received a Gateway Unreachable error.

Is there else that I am missing here? Do I need to manually add the new /29 block to my server via the VMWare client?

Comments

• Network is .0, gateway .1

• 192.0.0.0/29:

192.0.0.0 = Network
    192.0.0.1 = Gateway
    192.0.0.2 = Usable IP
    192.0.0.3 = Usable IP
    192.0.0.4 = Usable IP
    192.0.0.5 = Usable IP
    192.0.0.6 = Usable IP
    192.0.0.7 = Broadcast

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • Rallias said: Network is .0, gateway .1

Sorry I was just using them as an example, those IPs I bought are obviously not 1.1.1.1 (I wish!)

I guess the only problem is the IP blocks are not adjacent and I am just wondering in that case if the VMWare server would be able to know the IP addresses that are binded to the server automatically.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Adjust subnet mask so the gateway can be reachable from second subnet

• gbshouse said: Adjust subnet mask so the gateway can be reachable from second subnet

Would VMWare server know that automatically?

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@zhuanyi - I would assume that yes but only for default (first) subnet so if you have first /29 with subnet mask 255.255.255.248 and you want to extend the IP pool with IPs which do not fit the 255.255.255.248 you need to update it for example to 255.255.255.0

• Just add a route for the gateway ip in the vm. Since the gateway is not in the same subnet you need a static route to tell it which interface that gateway can be found on.

ip route add 1.1.1.3 dev eth0

Thanked by 2VPN zhuanyi
  • gbshouse said: @zhuanyi - I would assume that yes but only for default (first) subnet so if you have first /29 with subnet mask 255.255.255.248 and you want to extend the IP pool with IPs which do not fit the 255.255.255.248 you need to update it for example to 255.255.255.0

Tried that and unfortunately even though I could get through the manual IP configuration page, I could not connect to the Debian repos. Basically those /29s are not really adjacent....

• joereid said: Just add a route for the gateway ip in the vm. Since the gateway is not in the same subnet you need a static route to tell it which interface that gateway can be found on.

I'll try this when I get home tonight (can't access VMWare from work) but this seems good, thanks!

• joereid said: Just add a route for the gateway ip in the vm. Since the gateway is not in the same subnet you need a static route to tell it which interface that gateway can be found on.

Didn't work for me in the end for some reason, the funny thing is when I bought a /29 with Continuum, they added the IP for me and there was nothing I need to do on my end, the new IP block are just added in automatically on VMWare.

However with Dacentec I seem to have more headaches, I guess it is probably different IP infrastructure or something...

• Got it working by having the /29 routed directly and have its own gateway from the block, thanks for everyone who helped.