Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low end server brainstorming
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Low end server brainstorming

prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep
edited March 2012 in Providers

I'm just ordering the 2U twin supermicro to start playing with a budget dedicated Atom D525 offer

2U twin atom

each server will have 4GB of RAM and one 500GB hard disk. 100Mbps connectivity.

What would you pay for a server like this?

Comments

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2012

Location? $30-50/month would be a decent price in my opinion.

• £13.99 /month

Thanked by 1tux
  • BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited March 2012

$25.00? maybe $30.00... that's just because the specs aren't something I'd generally use. It'd have to be a really good deal (like $25 - $30) for me to pick one up.

Then again I like @Taylor's price :)

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

Italy :)

• Then I might go up to $35.00 just because of the location.

• @BlueVM Apart from more memory but less hard drive its hard to justify a big increase on ovh's kimisurf prices. Thats what my price is worked around the location is different so that may be a factor for some.

• u4iau4ia Member

Personally I would pay more if it had 2 hard drives. It would be more for testing/playing with just one.

@u4ia said: Personally I would pay more if it had 2 hard drives

the twin allow up to 3 2.5 HDD per server so I think that can be an option...

• @prometeus

If I was going for a dedicated server I would like the options to have more then one hard drive like some others have said.

@Taylor said: If I was going for a dedicated server I would like the options to have more then one hard drive like some others have said.

taken note. Kimsufi is limited to 2G on the atom, right?

• u4iau4ia Member

As far as I know it is limited to 2gb.

• u4iau4ia Member

I would love to see a low end dedi like the Kimsufi or what you are describing in the US for a sub $30USD price tag.

• The problem is that you can't even pay the hardware cost in a year, even ignoring all other costs and putting all the $30 towards the hardware cost. So it's not worth it, at $30/month.

How much bandwidth?

I was thinking 29€/39$

the 8 server will cost us €3000 for 8 servers (4G ram, 1x 500GB HDD). It's €375 per server

@rds100 said: The problem is that you can't even pay the hardware cost in a year, even ignoring all other costs and putting all the $30 towards the hardware cost. So it's not worth it, at $30/month.

I think we will use the first 16-32 servers to introduce us in the online market, other than these I'm working on e3 and e5 servers wich I hope will target some providers...

• @prometeus said: the 8 server will cost us €3000 for 8 servers (4G ram, 1x 500GB HDD). It's €375 per server

With what HDDs?

@rds100 said: With what HDDs?

HDN-MK5076GSX HDD 2,5" SATA 500GB TOSHIBA

• nocomnocom Member

How much with 2hdd?

• 3 years warranty? Sounds OK.

I think one more 500gb hdd can be an option for 5-6€/mo

• Very good pricing on the additional HDD would be rude to say no.

@Taylor said: Very good pricing on the additional HDD would be rude to say no.

So do you think it will be more aggressive if we offer servers with 4GB ram and 2x500GB hdd for 35€?

• Just let people choose? with 1 HDD = 29EUR, second HDD = +6EUR

• nocomnocom Member

@rds100 said: Just let people choose? with 1 HDD = 29EUR, second HDD = +6EUR

That will be fine
    OPtions for bandwith if any?

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

Just out of interest.. What sort of specification would be the very LOWEST that you'd offer? Seeing as I'm only really interested in low-end stuff, I also like to see things for as little money as possible.

What would be lowest specification and price you'd consider going for?

Cheers, and good luck if you go ahead with this!

Ideally it would be better to have choice, but if you think that once the twin is racked it will be totally manageable via ipmi I would prefere to have servers ready to be powered on and configured (and sold) without going to the DC only to insert a disk... I should double the stocks :)

@nocom said: OPtions for bandwith if any?

10 (or 15) TB, what do you think?

@liamwithers said: What would be lowest specification and price you'd consider going for?

I don't think we can go much more low than that at present. We try to offer decent services even on a budget and don't want to go too cheap/low for hardware...

Let's see what happen in the next weeks :)

• nocomnocom Member

This SuperMicro 2015TA-HTRF?