Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

linux vps for crypto mining
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

linux vps for crypto mining

i'm looking for any provider that accept crypto coin mining with linux OS, my budget at about 10 USD monthly

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

you need gpu access or otherwise it would be very low, try digital ocean.

• dhamaniasaddhamaniasad Member
    edited January 2014

We can allow this. 1 dedicated core for $6.25/month.

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

try our abusivecores.com

New slots will be avaible in few days

• @dhamaniasad said:
    We can allow this. 1 dedicated core for $6.25/month.

i'm interest with this package https://clients.gadgedz.com/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=0

may it used for crypto mining...

thank you for replying i appreciate that

• is it profitable for mining using vps?

• dhamaniasaddhamaniasad Member
    edited January 2014

@alcatraz said:

Are you referring to our KVM1G package?

• c0yc0y Member

@Ryan22 said:
    is it profitable for mining using vps?

No, and it never will because of the design of the difficulty algorythm.

• @Ryan22 said:
    is it profitable for mining using vps?

i'm not sure... with openvz i'll try it for a month first....

@dhamaniasad said:

yes ... and i'm ready to order that ... just need suggestion and advice from the owner ... it's you

• @alcatraz said:
    yes ... and i'm ready to order that ... just need suggestion and advice from the owner ... it's you

As long as you can limit CPU usage, you can use it for cryptocoin mining. Or, if you need to use a dedicated thread, we can give you that, but that will bump the price up to $6.25/month.

dhamaniasad said: As long as you can limit CPU usage, you can use it for cryptocoin mining. Or, if you need to use a dedicated thread, we can give you that, but that will bump the price up to $6.25/month.

Hi, just one little question for you, which CPU are you using on that plans with dedicated thread ?

Thank you

• drserver said: Hi, just one little question for you, which CPU are you using on that plans with dedicated thread ?

Thank you

Hello, we don't do dedicated thread offers generally. It was only a special offer for the OP. Dual L5520.

@dhamaniasad said:
    Hello, we don't do dedicated thread offers generally. It was only a special offer for the OP. Dual L5520.

Thank you for the info

• @alcatraz, which cryptocurrency are you mining?

• i am currently mining coin using digital ocean free credit.

• @dhamaniasad @drserver are you selling dedicated thread or dedicated core?

If its a dedicated hyperthread, then how do you deal with the lag on the associated hyperthread?

• MarkTurner said: @dhamaniasad @drserver are you selling dedicated thread or dedicated core?

Its a dedicated thread.

Hi @MarkTurner we are selling thread (hyper threaded core aka virtual core or name it as you wish) of L5639. It gives around 360 score on unix bench all the time on full node so i don't understand your question. What kind of lag are you experiencing ? CPU performance is constant all the time.

• @MiniVZ said:
    alcatraz, which cryptocurrency are you mining?

still in the experimental.... there was so many crypto coin at this time

@extremez said:
    i am currently mining coin using digital ocean free credit.

really free... is that offer stil available at digitalocean...

• @drserver - I tested this on an L5639 a week or so back. I tested one thread and got one rating, then I loaded up the associated hyperthread to 100% utilisation and retested the original thread and found performance had dropped 15-20%.

The hyperthread is not a real core, its just an additional pipeline into the execution resource (ie processor core). If you have a performance intensive resource demanding 100% usage of the execution resource then you can definitely get more than 100% processing time and affect the other person on the associated thread.

Some comments were posted here http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10593313/why-does-the-performance-become-bad-after-enabling-hyperthread

edited January 2014

it gives sustainable unix bench score of around 360 in any given moment. Our clients love it, not a single issue so far.

Can you please tell me what tests have you done? I have brand new empty node to test.

• @drserver it wasn't a criticism, it was just an observation.

Just try benching thread A whilst thread B is doing something that will keep the pipeline stuffed with instructions. They need to be the reciprocal threads on the same core.

For the majority of applications this isn't going to be an issue but if you have miners on there and the reciprocal thread is also a miner then both of them will see a noticeable (in terms of crunching/revenue) drop in performance as both thread users will be both continually demanding execution resource.

• Use DigitalOcean free credit should be the best way... otherwise I read from one reddit post saying that VPSNine also allows that. OP may take a look.

• emgemg Veteran

I am trying to understand the economics of what alcatraz proposes. In order to make a profit, alcatraz must pay x "dollars" a month for a VPS that will yield x + y "dollars" of value in crypto coins, right? At the same time, the VPS Provider must make a profit "p" on the VPS that alcatraz uses. If the VPS Provider's cost to host the VPS is "c", then c + p = x.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Do not assume that alcatraz' return "y" or the VPS Provider's profit "p" are positive values. Either or both of them could lose money in the deal.

It begs some questions:

• Why doesn't the provider use their hosting environment to mine their own crypto coins with the same equipment? Profit would be p + y, which is more than alcatraz can make, assuming that both p and y are positive values.

Possible answers:
    (1) Provider prefers to be in the VPS hosting business, not crypto coin mining.
    (2) alcatraz has some special or proprietary knowledge about crypto coin mining efficiencies that is not generally available, and uses it to make a profit.

• Who is likely to lose in this situation?

Possible answers:
    (3) alcatraz. If alcatraz pays more for the VPS than the value of the crypto coins he/she mines, then alcatraz will lose money. Real money.
    (4) Provider. If alcatraz uses more resources than the VPS Provider expects, where the VPS Provider pays more to provide the VPS than alcatraz pays for it, then the VPS Provider loses money.

• What are other possible explanations for the economics of what alcatraz proposes?

Possible answers:
    (5) alcatraz is speculating. Perhaps alcatraz believes that the crypto coins will increase in value and is willing to take the losses now, expecting a decent return in the long run. This is a business investment strategy, where alcatraz rents hardware (and electricity) that he/she cannot afford to buy outright. If you were a bank, would you loan alcatraz the money for this "investment"?
    (6) The VPS provider artificially restricts the resources available to alcatraz' VPS to ensure that the VPS provider's profit "p" is positive. In this case, I am trying to see how alcatraz' net return "y" is also positive.
    (7) The VPS provider does not have the tools to determine the real cost of providing the VPS to alcatraz, and does not realize that this VPS is losing money, or does not care as long as the issue is confined to a single VPS that does not significantly impact their other VPS customers. In this case the future is not good for the VPS provider, because alcatraz may buy up more VPSs, or tell his friends about it, until the losses become obvious to the VPS Provider who pulls the plug, or the other VPSs use too many resources, so alcatraz' VPS doesn't get enough cycles to be profitable. (This is a yet another example of "Tragedy of the Commons.")

• Other considerations:

(8) Security - Can alcatraz trust the VPS Provider? Could the VPS Provider steal the crypto coins after they are accumulated? Possibly, but not likely - the VPS Provider might as well be honest and use the VPSs to mine crypto coins instead of selling the VPSs.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@emg forget the current value of (insert crypto currency here) it is for speculation, when BTC hit $10 everyone said it was pointless as it would take a month to get a coin and $10 would only just about cover your bill if that, the people that ignored that (I know a few) are now laughing.

It has very little to do with what they are worth now it is what they could be worth, sure it is a gamble but people are happy to take it.

• emgemg Veteran

@AnthonySmith said:
    emg forget the current value of (insert crypto currency here) it is for speculation, when BTC hit $10 everyone said it was pointless as it would take a month to get a coin and $10 would only just about cover your bill if that, the people that ignored that (I know a few) are now laughing.

It has very little to do with what they are worth now it is what they could be worth, sure it is a gamble but people are happy to take it.

Thank you for the clarification. That was my answer (5), above. The explanation makes sense to me, and we shall see whether alcatraz wins or loses the bet.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited January 2014

@alcatraz said:
    i'm looking for any provider that accept crypto coin mining with linux OS, my budget at about 10 USD monthly

You'll lose more than gain, plus so far the "low end" market generally isn't designed for coin mining.

• @extremez said:
    i am currently mining coin using digital ocean free credit.

What cryptocurrency are you mining, which plan do you have, and what is your hashrate? Just curious.

• @emg said:

i actually like your opinion... but i just figure out the provider that accept my request.
    Mathematically we will lose in 1-6 months for mine ... but if you see a rate that continues to rise ... why not .. BTC has increased more than 100 x at last 4 month. On the provider used .. whether they can steal ... where calculations in the pool ... best to try to use your own calculation ... sorry for my bad english, i use google to translate from my language

• extremezextremez Member
    edited January 2014

last year i mine litecoin using vps and got 1 ltc per day. that time when difficulty is very low and 1 ltc = $ 0.2 only

• extremezextremez Member
    edited January 2014

@FoShizz said:

i am currently mining primecoin (xpm) using combination of total 9 core cpu ( multiple vps)