Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

jabber server on low end box
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

jabber server on low end box

bretonbreton Member
edited March 2012 in General

What jabber server do you run on your boxes? Ejabberd, prosody, jabberd2? Post some stats on people online and memory consumption.

Comments

• MopsyMopsy Member

While I'm not currently running one, and don't have any stats on hand, I personally had good experiences with ejabberd.

• Some of our clients are running ejabberd or prosody on our 96mb plan. I don't know what kind of clientbase they have.

• @Damian said: 96mb

Too mainstream.

• I run prosody on a 128mb lowendbox without any problems. Two websites and a znc also run on that server.

Only 3 people online most of the time, but from the looks of it, i could easily have a lot more users connected without any problems.

• @alfredino, how much memory does it consume?

• It's hard to say. Depends on how long it has been running. When running 3 Weeks it consumed ~60MB of memory, but I have no idea how much of that was reserved only. When it is running for 5 minutes it consumes about ~7MB.

So it's really hard to tell. I'd just try it on your own for a couple of days, maybe get 4-5 buddies on it and check on mem usage every now and then.

• AmfyAmfy Member
    edited March 2012

Prosody and a mailserver (postfix and dovecot) on a 48mb openvz container

• 2 Mail users (one personal (always online with ~2-3 devices and imap idle) and one of my printer :P), ~2000 mails
    • 1 Jabber user with about 12 contacts inside (6-8 always online)
    Thanked by 1breton