Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kodo Technologies announces HostGuard VPS Control Panel
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Kodo Technologies announces HostGuard VPS Control Panel

Cheyenne, WY, January 1, 2014 – For years, Internet hosting companies offering Virtual Private Servers, or VPSes, have been calling for a new control panel amid security vulnerabilities, buggy behavior, and lack of responsiveness from the developers of the industry standard control panel software. After over a year of development and several months of real-world testing, Richard Kwan and Nick Moeck of Kodo Technologies (Kodo, LLC) are proud to release version 1.0 of their new virtual private server control panel, HostGuard.

“Hosting companies have been growing more and more disillusioned with the VPS control panels that are available, and we felt that it was time to make a change,” said Kodo Technologies CEO Richard Kwan. He went on to say, “As the owner of a VPS hosting company myself, I no longer had confidence that the control panels that are out there could meet the needs of my business, especially when it comes to security and reliability, so I decided to team up with a talented young developer who could turn my vision for a better control panel into a reality.” To ensure that those security goals were reached, HostGuard brought in industry leading server security firm Rack911 to perform an extensive security audit.

Lead Developer Nick Moeck said, “HostGuard's first release is aimed at laying the groundwork for an entirely new approach to how we interact with our clients. We don't want to be just another software provider - our goal is to team up with companies to provide them with the tools they need to handle their day-to-day operations more efficiently and provide their customers with a first-class experience.” When probed about whether that means they're going to tackle a billing panel next, Nick said “We have a lot of exciting things in the works that we hope will revolutionize not just the VPS hosting industry, but the entire tech industry.”

About Kodo Technologies
Since it's founding by Richard Kwan in 2006, Kodo Technologies (Kodo LLC) has been providing stable, affordable web hosting to clients all over the world. Begining with shared hosting under the KodoHost brand, Kodo LLC's 2009 acquisition of StarkVPS marked their entry into the virtual private server hosting market, selling OpenVZ and Xen based virtual private servers. Later in 2009, the SonicVPS brand was launched, focusing on KVM virtual private servers.

More information about HostGuard, including pricing and full list of features, can be found on their website, http://www.hostguard.net/ or by emailing their sales department at sales [@] hostguard.net

Comments

• It's very good. I've checked the videos earlier. A few suggestions:

• Expand the API so almost everything that can be done via panel can be done via API as well. This will lead to get better integration with the billing systems such as WHMCS.
    • Add voice to the videos, demonstrate a VPS creation, show more OpenVZ
    • Add more monitoring features such as SMTP connection count and PPS and add ability to suspend VPS.
  • DylanDylan Member
    edited January 2014

The more competing control panels, the better, IMO.

Isn't Nick Moeck @NickM who also made OpenStatus?

• First up, Happy New Year guys!

@Serverian
    We will be opening up the API a bit more, our focus has been getting the extensive feature rich core release available first.

With regards to WHMCS integration, we will have our own billing system any way. That's not to say we will neglect and stop supporting WHMCS, but once this all becomes our clear focus, the API library will naturally expand.

The OpenVZ functionality is the same as the KVM. I did want to add a voice over, but it was a quick demo at this stage. I'm planning to expand on the videos to have full contents to allow for a fully comprehensive training package.

The monitoring module will be fully independent and will include specific service monitoring. We have an autosuspend feature already and I'll make sure I'll expand on this to include PPS.

@Dylan
    We definitely intend to make an impact on the industry.

Yes, it's the same Nick that started OpenStatus. We've teamed up and both work full time on HostGuard.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • i love that monkey support tech, lol.

• @darkshire

When things break, we dispatch monkeys to fix the problem.

Thanked by 1darkshire
  • HostGuardCP said: dispatch monkeys to fix the problem

So does youtube :P

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I got excited and then hit the we did not do xen brick wall as usual....

Will have a better read through the whole site when I get the chance.

@Spirit @mpkossen this should maybe set not to sink?

• @AnthonySmith - Only KVM and OpenVZ at this stage.

Reason being, that's what we are actually using internally.

It wouldn't take long to implement a Xen module though - I'll know more once we fire up a test install.

@HostGuardCP I just joined your forum :)

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2014

@HostGuardCP

cav we make ipv6 only vps using this panel?

• @agentmishra

Sure! When creating a plan, all you have to do is set the number of IPv4 addresses to 0

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    Spirit mpkossen this should maybe set not to sink?

I've unsunk it. Don't know why it was sunk in the first place.

Thanked by 1HostGuardCP
  • Great to see more CP coming out, awesome guys!

• BK_BK_ Member

Zen said: I'll be testing this when I get some time in a few days, shall I be required to buy a license or?

On the website, I believe it says you can get a 14-day trial license.

Thanked by 1Zen
  • AnthonySmith said: @Spirit @mpkossen this should maybe set not to sink?

After talking to Spirit we've set it back to sink again, as it's a plain advertisement from a user with 0 posts that just came here to pitch the product.

• mpkossen said: After talking to Spirit we've set it back to sink again, as it's a plain advertisement from a user with 0 posts that just came here to pitch the product.

We didn't come here just to pitch our product, we're definitely supportive of the community. While I understand your reason for the thread to sink solely based on this account, I think it's unfair to say we've just come to pitch a product. Look at NickM's contribution over the years for example.

The timing also lined up for release at New Years which is why it's a new account. Otherwise, we've been lurking around for quite a while. This forum is actually how we came in to contact, so sorry if it seems I'm taking this personal, but your comment couldn't be any more wrong.

@HostGuardCP said:
    The timing also lined up for release at New Years which is why it's a new account. Otherwise, we've been lurking around for quite a while. This forum is actually how we came in to contact, so sorry if it seems I'm taking this personal, but your comment couldn't be any more wrong.

Yeah I have to agree this is an exception to the rule imo.

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

@NickM said:
    Sure! When creating a plan, all you have to do is set the number of IPv4 addresses to 0

will have to try it then ;)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2014

@mpkossen said:
    After talking to Spirit we've set it back to sink again, as it's a plain advertisement from a user with 0 posts that just came here to pitch the product.

This isn't just some user with 0 posts, this is a new user to represent a product. @NickM isn't new and there's nothing wrong with having multiple accounts unless doing so for ban evasion. They were very straight forward about this.

Good job guys!

• @jarland - thanks for the support.

We will have Windows based monitoring ready in a week or so. Blesta integration is being done as we speak and the Xen module will be ready in late February as we need some time to do proper testing.

We're already responding to users requests and have effectively put these in the time line :)

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited January 2014

Do you have change an publicly viewable change log @HostGuardCP? It'll be interesting to see how it develops with updates.

• @INIZ said:
    Do you have change an publicly viewable change log HostGuardCP? It'll be interesting to see how it develops with updates.

Yes, we use Jira so we have integrated this in to our work flow.

• I'm assuming HostGuard is aimed at cPanel - normal price is $10 a month.

How many LEH/LET users are interested in paying that much? I'm new here, so perhaps I'm wrong, but I assume that for managing VPS < $7/mth you wouldn't want to pay anything for a control panel license.

• @Bruce - the host will be providing the control panel.

That's not to say that HostGuard can't be used my system administrators and managed service providers to monitor and control their servers.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2014

@AnthonySmith said:
    Yeah I have to agree this is an exception to the rule imo.

I know that you agree with things you personally like and you're strict with things you personally don't approve, but exception was made if you haven't noticed and instead of removal at reports it was only sunk, similar as other sale/advertisement threads by established members. Nothing bad happened with this thread.

ooh dear, someone got out of the wrong side of bed this morning :)

I dunno, just seems like something that is going to bring a higher level of quality to the community by someone who is well known, respected and has contributed a lot over the years should be celebrated.

Sad to see it was a decision between delete or sink, pretty sad really.

• Playing with words? :) If you want to, but it doesn't make difference for me knowing a bit about double standards here.

honestly, you lost me.

• In the past 10 days since HostGuard's initial release, we've recieved numerous feature requests and comments about how we can improve our software. We always welcome and encourage this kind of feedback – it helps us make HostGuard better for everyone. We immediately began to work on some of the most requested features, as well as a few that stuck out to us as the most useful and necessary. We're proud to release our first feature update release, Version 1.1.0.

New Features
    - Blesta Billing Module
    - Assign MAC addresses to individual IP addresses (necessary for KVM on OVH's network)
    - Delete Node function for removing nodes that are no longer in service
    - Added confirmation checkbox when reinstalling OS to prevent accidental reinstalls

During this release cycle, we also identified a few bugs, which we've corrected.

Bug Fixes
    - Fix an issue that prevented alerts from being sent out when node memory usage exceeded the “Warning” threshold
    - Clarified the MySQL root password prompt when installing a HostGuard Master
    - The installer now installs the setproctitle python module, fixing an issue with the init scripts for hgstatus-server and hgstatus-pinger (the daemons responsible for status and ICMP monitoring)
    - Remove “OpenVZ” option from the “Add ISO” page (since OpenVZ doesn't use ISOs)
    - Resolved an issue with displaying bandwidth on the node status page

Upgrading
    To upgrade from HostGuard 1.0.0 to HostGuard 1.1.0, follow the process for installing HostGuard Master, as documented at http://hostguard.net/docs/master_installation. The installer should detect that you have HostGuard installed, and offer to upgrade your installation. During the upgrade process, the files from your previous HostGuard installation will be backed up to /usr/share/hostguard.backup.[timestamp]. This upgrade does not require any changes to your HostGuard KVM or OpenVZ nodes.

Roadmap
    We understand that it's important for providers to be able to provide a consistent interface throughout their customer-facing software. Therefore, our next development cycle will focus on customization. To make HostGuard's user interface completely customizable, we will be working to prepare our base template files for release as unencoded source files. In addition, we will be developing a Bootstrap 3 based template, which will also be released unencoded.

In addition to the customization features, we will be beginning work on a Xen module for HostGuard. More details about the Xen module will be released as we finalize the plans for Xen.

As previously mentioned, we welcome your feedback and suggestions, and all comments are taken into consideration as we work to improve HostGuard. We would like to thank everyone who has provided their input during this first point-release development cycle. While we could not address every suggestion or feature request during this cycle, we haven't thrown out any request or suggestion and will be re-evaluating all feedback to see what we can fit into our 1.2.0 development cycle in addition to the planned features announced above.