Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Combat comment spam on offers, order threads by original post date (browser extension)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Combat comment spam on offers, order threads by original post date (browser extension)

StrypStryp Member

Want to escape from the endless comment spam on offer threads, clogging up the list with 2 year old offers? Want to see actual new posts instead of comments on old ones? Install this Tampermonkey/Greasemonkey extension that adds a very simple button to the top of the threads list.

Click it, and the threads will get reorganized based on how old the original post is. The metadata on the bottom showing the last comment will also change, it will display the original post's date instead of the latest comment.

will become:

Download the userscript here.

This is an userscript because it's way easier for me than coding a browser extension. It runs in all commonly used browsers with Greasemonkey or Tampermonkey (Edge, Chrome, Opera, Firefox tested). It only works on the main page and on the first page of each category, and only sorts the posts that are already on your screen. It uses the RSS feed of the page to get the first post date.

I am not a professional programmer, I appreciate any feedback and suggestions.

Comments

• Woohoo. Great job 👏

Thanked by 1Stryp
  • This is awesome, really freshens up the site :)

Thanked by 1Stryp
  • My wxtension is just plain js
    Should have went with this, easier...

Thanked by 1Stryp
  • I wonder why you use RackNerd as an example :^). However, that is quite nice, might reinstall tampermonkey again

Thanked by 1anubhavhirani
  • @shruub said:
    I wonder why you use RackNerd as an example :^). However, that is quite nice, might reinstall tampermonkey again

Only because someone commented on one of their threads not long after me marking all as viewed. And maybe because they are the most striking example of the problem my extension is trying to solve; you see old offers with no relevance whatsoever instead of new offers which might not have as much activity because no spam requirement for "double bandwidth" (included in price btw).

Thanked by 1shruub
  • looks good. maybe in the future we'll have a collection of extensions that developed for LET.
    last time someone make a thing it was to hide post by username, and it was hilarious

• kevindskevinds Member, LIR

@ScreenReader said:
    looks good. maybe in the future we'll have a collection of extensions that developed for LET.

Or maybe the new offer rules (whenever they come out) will include criteria that the offer is the offer.. Double x if you comment, could be outlawed, if a provider actually requires manual changes, open a ticket with them. This is what I am hoping for.. But we shall see when the new rules are voted on and released.

• This is great. I was also very distressed before this, trying to use the number of views to identify new posts. Having this will make it easier to read offers.

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider

Awesome userscript! However, being able to enable it by default would be a lot more convenient.