Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For best privacy - Austria, Switzerland or Sweden?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

For best privacy - Austria, Switzerland or Sweden?

AmitzAmitz Member
edited March 2012 in General

Hi everyone,

I am planning to get an EDIS.AT KVM for a personal blog. This blog contains nothing offensive or illegal, but I want it to be outside of my home country (Germany) and am looking for the best privacy options. I am not sure which of those 3 countries offers the best circumstances concerning privacy, free speech and non-censorship. Any suggestions?

Cheers & thank you in advance!
Amitz

Comments

• Nazi related stuff would be a big NO in Austria (as well as in Germany). Not sure about other freedom of speech things.

• nabonabo Member

Keep in mind that unlike your home-country (Germany) those other countries have some kind of data retention act.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2012

There are other anti-freespech laws, such as denying something, or if it looks like denying. As a person of armenian descent I think the french law against genocide denying is pathetic and doesnt help anyone, it's just a nail in the coffin of free speech which many governments try to burry these days.
    I would suggest to make an anonymous free hosting account if you will talk of something forbidden by cults and different pressure groups with lots of money. Use Tor and change identity after each post. Keep backups, get your own free domain like me.mooo.com which you can easily point to another host and is hard to shutdown without a real cause.
    M

• Denying the Holocaust is illegal in all parts of Europe pretty much.

It doesnt matter what free-speech blocking law you come across, that setup should work on keeping the anonymity and acessability of the site (with a few hiccups, of course, whenever a host takes it offline for some reason).
    M

• AmitzAmitz Member

Just to avoid any misunderstanding: I am not planning to write anything controversial. So you may safely leave this out. No racism, no hate, nothing. It is just about privacy in general. If I already take a server that is not located in my own country, then I just do not want to have it somewhere where the legal situation is even worse. Do you get my point?

edited March 2012

Not really, but if you do want to prove how total privacy works, an extreme setup like that is the perfect example. Nobody will know who you are and even where you live. Instead of relying on the law to protect your privacy, better make it sure it doesnt come to that. Governments cant be trusted to uphold the law when it is against their interests. Even in EU.
    M

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • AmfyAmfy Member
    edited March 2012

@Amitz also German, having similar problems, if you want some tips write me a PM in German :)

Only for privacy take Edis and Austria, that's their own Datacenter... if you're hosting in Switzerland or Sweden Edis must give your data out if there is a court order in these countries and Austria...
    For Nazi-Content take Edis and the US.

Wouldn't take Sweden because they will start with the Vorratsdatenspeicherung at may - but not sure if Pionen will also do that ;)

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • @Amfy said: Wouldn't take Sweden because they will start with the Vorratsdatenspeicherung at may - but not sure if Pionen will also do that ;)

Isn't that only about storing the dynamic IPs of DSL customers for 6 months?

edited March 2012

@gsrdgrdghd said: Isn't that only about storing the dynamic IPs of DSL customers for 6 months?

Always expect tracing laws to get broader interpretation than initially intended by the lawmakers. It WILL happen, once they start, there is no end unless the law is abolished.
    M

Thanked by 1Amfy
    edited March 2012

@liam said: Bahnhof is planning to ensure that all of its users remain anonymous online by creating a system that would assign all customers the same IP address.

I would be interested to see how would that work in practice without hindering any fair usage.
    M

• @rds100 said: Nazi related stuff would be a big NO in Austria (as well as in Germany). Not sure about other freedom of speech things.

Why did you assume he was going to be posting Nazi stuff ?

• @Daniel said: Denying the Holocaust is illegal in all parts of Europe pretty much.

So no freespeach in the EU anymore :(. You can host a Anti-holocaust website in the UK though..

• @JoeMerit said: Why did you assume he was going to be posting Nazi stuff ?

I didn't. I was just pointing out that freedom of speech is "except ...."

• @liam said: I don't think its illegal here. Griffin and those scums get away with it.

Yes i know anti-holocaust websites can be hosted here. There is nothing wrong with them in my personal opinion, everyone is entitled to there own view, and as providers its not for us to decide such things.

• flyfly Member

i heard sweden isn't bad. someone should fact-check tho

• nocomnocom Member

Eu already signed ACTA
    http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/networking/2012/01/26/uk-signs-acta-as-activists-urge-resistance-40094914/
    Starting ACTA will not produce to much but after year or two privacy will be invaded partilly or full.
    Just saying.

• @nocom said: Eu already signed ACTA

"However, the signatures of the EU member states and the EU itself will count for nothing unless the European Parliament gives its approval to ACTA in June"

You should rather read the whole article than just the headline ;)

• By the way, China has good freedom of speech too. Except for some 2 million topics ;-)

• @rds100 said: By the way, China has good freedom of speech too. Except for some 2 million topics ;-)

Most ME countries are fine too, (As long as you dont insult them)

• nocomnocom Member

yes i red full post and couple others that day

• Finland and Norway was ranked as #1 on press freedom, Estonia (bit of a surprise) is number 3.

http://en.rsf.org/press-freedom-index-2011-2012,1043.html

Thanked by 1Amitz