Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats going on in dmesg here?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Whats going on in dmesg here?

DeorDeor Member
edited March 2012 in General

Hi all, can anyone take a look at this output from dmesg for me? Not quite sure what's going on but maybe one of my disks is having trouble? The RAID status says its good, hence my doubt. This is a physical server with a pair of mirrored disks. Its quite old and running Debian 5, which I've just started looking to upgrade when I came across this.

Also, whats the "TCP: Treason uncloaked!" message?!

Edit: Link is always useful! http://pastebin.com/0xD6qiYz

Comments

• @Deor said: Also, whats the "TCP: Treason uncloaked!" message?!

Your treasonous, torturous ways have been unmasked, prepare for assimilation!

• DeorDeor Member

@miTgiB said: Your treasonous, torturous ways have been unmasked, prepare for assimilation!

And I would have got away with it if it wasn't for those pesky kids!

• @Deor said: Hi all, can anyone take a look at this output from dmesg for me?

Where's it?

• @Damian said: Where's it?

This... lol!

• DeorDeor Member

/sigh forgot the link. Updated!

• Secondary master (hdc) is failing, replace it.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited March 2012

hdc is dying or has died.

Install smartctl, and run:

smartctl -a /dev/hdc

• DeorDeor Member

Ta for the input guys.

@Damian Had to install the tools, but here is the output.
    http://pastebin.com/JW0c2Wf5

Looks like a trip to the DC is in order.

• Error 768 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 63112 hours (2629 days + 16 hours)

2629 days = 7.2 years.. i'd say it's had a good lifetime :)

• DeorDeor Member

Yup you cant knock that can you! Think i'll bring it home and keep it as my longest serving hard drive :)

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Hitachi? Nice to know.. I always prefer WD over the others

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2012

Samsung UBER ALLES !!!
    Neah, they arent fast but resilient. My back-up servers will always run on samsungs, not raids, but different sets on different HDDs, save often with increment and never had any problems with this setup.
    For production, tho, SAS Seagate constellation atm.
    Just had a failure, but was probably due to overheating, temperature outside rose suddenly, ppl didnt turn on AC in a full sunny room, were like 50 degrees inside (Celsius) over the weekend.

• @netomx said: Hitachi? Nice to know.. I always prefer WD over the others

I've had more WD fail, Raid Edition at that, as a percentage over Hitachi DeathStar or Ultrastar or Seagate Constellation

• @miTgiB said: I've had more WD fail, Raid Edition at that, as a percentage over Hitachi DeathStar or Ultrastar or Seagate Constellation

+1 here too. WD used to be pretty bulletproof from late 90's to mid 2000's, but not anymore.