Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are there any DNS provider as good as zoneedit?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Are there any DNS provider as good as zoneedit?

cosmicgatecosmicgate Member
edited March 2012 in General

Just realized zoneedit is not free anymore.

The reason i insist that they are so good is because i can just buy a domain, set it on zoneedit and the website goes live in less than 5 mins. Same case if i were to switch hosts.

Anyone know of any other DNS provider equally as good as zoneedit with almost instantaneous DNS propagation?

Comments

• gianggiang Veteran

I'm using dns.he.net and cloudns.net :D You should give them a try :D

• are they fast? one of my site is using dnstrouble, dns propagation is about 48 hours.

• gianggiang Veteran

Yes, they are fast :P

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2012

I use afraid.org for many years, not that they are flawless, but are quite quick. Not 5 min tho, but if the domain is new and wasnt parked someplace, it is almost immediate. Changes take up to 2 hours from what I have seen, most under half an hour but I dont change than much.
    M

• lumaluma Member

+1 for dns.he.net. They are awesome. I was a bit skeptical at first but I was pleasantly surprised at how good they are and how fast they are.

Zoneedit is sooo 90's :)

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member
    edited March 2012

I'm using CloudFlare, DNS changes pushed even faster on their anycast DNS

http://blog.cloudflare.com/wow-thats-fast-instant-dns-updates-and-more

• vldvld Member

youcanhasdns (not free, but very cheap) is awesome and reliable.

• @vld said: youcanhasdns (not free, but very cheap) is awesome and reliable.

Must Read >> Terms and Stuff

While I am happy with afraid.org which serves my purpose, I might take 2 zones there just for the creativity :P
    M

• fanfan Veteran

DNS Trouble or CloudFlare.

• tuxtux Member

namecheap?

• Yes, Hurricane Electric DNS is amazingly good and allows you to have tons of domains and subdomains for free.

• My current setup: 1 VPS running NSD with dns.he.net as backup NS

I suggest you to: either use my setup, or maybe just plain dns.he.net
    For my critical website, my current setup is:
    dns.he.net (5 NSes) + NameCheap FreeDNS (5 NSes) + GoDaddy's DNS (2NSes, note it WORKS even if the domain is not registered through them) + CloudFlare's DNS (2NSes, w/o protection)

• Why does a website need that many NSses?

Well, it is critical, but, OTOH I thought I was paranoid... Now I feel relieved.
    M

• @peppr said: Must Read >> Terms and Stuff

tl;dr: Don't host shit magnets, don't be a douchebag, and we'll get along great

I think everyone needs to add this to their TOS :D

Thanked by 1rds100
  • tuxtux Member

@NateN34 said: Yes, Hurricane Electric DNS is amazingly good and allows you to have tons of domains and subdomains for free.

Tons? There are only 50 free zones.

• +1 more to he.net

I was with cloudns until they got DDoSed like 2 days ¬_¬
    HE allows you to adjust the TTL up to 300 secs, which is great :P

• I've just switched (most of) my domains from ClouDNS to PointHQ.

I used to recommend ClouDNS, until they caused my pages to load 2 seconds slower than usual, according to Pingdom FPT.

• I also suggest Cloudflare with protection deactivated.

• gianggiang Veteran

@ElliotJ said: I've just switched (most of) my domains from ClouDNS to PointHQ.

I used to recommend ClouDNS, until they caused my pages to load 2 seconds slower than usual, according to Pingdom FPT.

My ClouDNS load time is faster than HE DNS a lot? :\

• MrDOSMrDOS Member
    edited March 2012

I use self-hosted DNS via nsd for non-critical stuff. It takes a fairly low amount of memory (~13MB) and responds very quickly.

For more critical things, I'm still kicking around an old ZoneEdit account but new stuff will be set up on CloudFlare. I'm also thinking about setting up a redundant set of nameservers over a couple VPSes to avoid third-party DNS altogether.

• @MrDOS:
    I have a Xen VPS doing nothing but running NSD using 10mb ram (including the dropbear and bash processes for my ssh session)

• I use either PowerDNS or dns.he.net for DNS servers. I have finally moved away from CloudFlare.

• cloudfare looks good. I was suckered into signing up for an account but still not good enough. Website up in US east within 5 mins, 30 mins to propogate to UK and about 2 hours to europe. 8 hours now and it's still not available in most part of Asia, china, jpn, Australia.

Not....good....enough.....

Next, HE dns service. Hopefully they are on par with zoneedit.

• jhjh Member

There's also zerigo.com.

• I find it odd so many shun a control panel of any kind yet will do DNS on a service

• I love SolusVM and Cloudflare.

• AdamAdam Member
    edited March 2012

@cosmicgate

For the majority of the world, it still doesn't matter if your DNS updates within 5min.
    Majority of ISP's out there still cache DNS records for 12-24hrs+... Only those with an ISP who cares or 3rd party DNS reslovers will see the updates quickly.

For example, I use Google DNS and regardless of the platform/service, it's propagated within 2-3min.
    Using my ISP's DNS I don't see propagation for around 1-2hrs.

• i think the reason why zone edit is so fast is because they probably have a godzillion dns zones. I remember using them back as far back as the late 90s and they are probably one of the oldest one still around.

I'm liking dnsflare a lot and it comes with reverse proxy and "DDoS protection". Website loads 2-4 sec faster than before!