Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggest me the best server for a Android Dev Environment
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Suggest me the best server for a Android Dev Environment

darknessendsdarknessends Member
edited December 2013 in General

Hi Guys,

I have to provide a remote desktop environment for development of an Android Application.
So far I see that serverian's VPSDIME 6 GB might suit the purpose installing gnome and VNC.

Devs will use this VM to install the Android SDK and use remote access to program,compile and run the apps.

If anybody has some else suggestion or a better offer do let me know. Looking for your comments before I finalize it.

Budget = 2-15 usd/month

Thank You

Comments

• @serverian - looking for your comment on this if its fine with you. or you got anything better for me.

• I would say nothing OpenVZ based. You're going to need to look at KVM/XEN options.

I do building on a number of remote vps's - originally i tried on a couple of ovz hosts, but understandable was asked to leave after a short time. Very few if any ovz host is going to be happy with you building on a regular bases which will hammer all available cores, ram and disk io depending on the build for hours at a time.

• prae5: I do not expect the android apps are going to use hours of CPU, they will spike in for a minute or so, I think.

• It depends, on one of our dedicated servers building just one app can take between 30-60mins depending on if its a full build of all sources.

Either way I'd ask the host first, I asked a number when i was looking for nodes and a number replied saying they wouldn't want it.

• @prae5 : I Agree, thats why the thread is there in the first place. I ll look for a kimsufi otherwise.

• I'd be interested if any of the high ram ovz providers do support this - i'm always on the lookout for this too.

• prae5 : pm me, I have a tip.

• @darknessends said:
    serverian - looking for your comment on this if its fine with you. or you got anything better for me.

Spikes up to 1 hour shouldn't be a problem.

• @serverian : So it shall suit you, no problems right ?

• @darknessends said:
    serverian : So it shall suit you, no problems right ?

I don't know how much CPU it will use but as I said if it doesn't use all cores more than an hour, it should be fone.

• DarwinDarwin Member
    edited December 2013

Running an android app using the emulator is going to eat at least 100% of a thread/core guaranteed.

There are ways to not use 100% of a core but they aren't available in openvz (and they only work for intel x86 images but virtually any android device available is ARM based not x86).

• Maybe a better way is to go with online.net dedi for 10€

• @trexos ? atoms could be too low.

• I'd probably look for a windows server, but you'll be hard pressed to find anything in your price range however

• You need a dedicated server which supports virtualization (i.e. NOT Atom) to run the Android emulator at anything close to acceptable speed. If you try to run it on a VPS you will have to emulate the CPU in software and it will be unusable (I am talking from experience).