Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AlienVPS mail() PHP
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AlienVPS mail() PHP

salmonsalmon Member
edited March 2012 in General

Hi, I'm having trouble getting mail() to work on my yearly AlienVPS server, it seems super slow. This is the yearly VPS server. Does anyone else have this problem? Or if its not the server, how can I fix it? Is it to do with the limited RAM and other resources?

Thanks,
Mr Salmon

Comments

• DerekDerek Member

Are they blocking the required ports?

• salmonsalmon Member
    edited March 2012

Hm, I don't so, the mail eventually gets through, just takes more than 20 seconds for the mail() function to work, whereas on my chicago VPS server it takes like 1-2 seconds.

• Have you tried contacting their suppor.....

yeah, couldn't keep a straight face saying that <_<

• @Aldryic I did some hours ago, no reply of yet, hopefully tomorrow. The server goes down all the time, pretty awful.

• Searching the forums will show you a ton of threads saying the same thing about their service... to be perfectly honest you might be better off moving to another provider before you lose any data.

If you're needing East coast, I'd recommend SecureDragon or Hostigation, I've been satisfied with my services from both of them. Hostigation also has plans on the west coast, and we (BuyVM) will be restocking our own west-coast plans this Friday.

• I'd give up on it. I gave up on mine. I think a quite a few other people have too.

Considering how poor their support and their uptime is, I'd imagine they're going to go under anytime.

• DerekDerek Member

Possible signs of overselling.

• Ditch AlienVPS imo. They'll never reply to your support ticket btw.

• Maybe their staff was abducted by aliens ;-)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Weirdly, I set up a new Twitter account and within a couple hours, AlienLayer was following me. Literally I had not told anyone the twitter name...they must be mass-searching and following as an advertisement.

• @raindog308 said: Weirdly, I set up a new Twitter account and within a couple hours, AlienLayer was following me. Literally I had not told anyone the twitter name...they must be mass-searching and following as an advertisement.

Funny you should mention that. When Alien(Layer|VPS) first started up, they mass-followed everyone from our twitter account.

• I am a few hours from shutting my AlienVPS off for good. It is too frustrating now with all the downtime to even use it for simple unimportant tasks. Surprising how crappy they have gotten, the first 6 months was okay.

Maybe they did what NordickVPS did and loaded tons of the lowend yearly customers onto 1 server after not properly budgeting out the $$$.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Maybe they put their servers on drones like piratebay plans to :P
    Had a good laugh today, but maybe orbital datacenters arent too far in the future. Probably lots of bitflips due to alpha particles, tho :D
    M

• @JoeMerit said: I am a few hours from shutting my AlienVPS off for good.

I've already done this, much happier with Hostigation. I opened a ticket w/ AlienVPS like 5 days asking to be moved to a non-vswap node, bumped it 2 days in, nothing at all. They can keep the $15, I don't think they're going to last too much longer.