Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

newer versions of dropbox uploader
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

newer versions of dropbox uploader

marrcomarrco Member
edited March 2012 in General

anyone using the newer version of dropbox uploader to backup their vps ?

I've hacked the old version (before dropbox API support) to do the job, but maybe someone already integrated the new one on their script and is willing to share.

Thanked by 1djvdorp

Comments

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2012

Why not just rsync to another box or get offsite backup, I personally don't like dropbox because it has a very limited amount of space for the free version, no sftp or ftp connections and I wouldn't exactly call it fast.

• I just use a VPS as a proxy to allow me to FTP/SFTP to Dropbox.

• @Infinity because dropbox is reliable (s3 backed if i recall correct), has free versioning included, and for basic needs (small backups, config etc) is just fine. About not having sftp and ftp i consider quite common, i'm used to google cloud storage and S3, so that's not a stopper for me. Plus if you're interested in more free space dropbox often offers additional storage (via referrals, beta testing etc) even now i think you can get a few more free gigabytes if you have access to an android device.

• @marrco is there any reason to use dropbox for backups instead of S3 directly?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I suspect one reason is that for Dropbox, you can get 5-6GB free (the 2GB + their camera upload promotion).

Thanked by 1u4ia
  • @gsrdgrdghd with dropbox you can easily get more than 5Gb free storage and gives you access on the go to your files with their web client + client for android, iphone etc.

I also use S3 via a python script, right now it's quite cheap with free inbound upload. If you are a new AWS user there's a free (1 year) testing package including 5Gb storage too: aws.amazon.com/free/

I wonder if there is any correlation between what one is willing to pay for backup and the value of the data being backed up...

• Well you can't really call S3 "paying" for backups, its only 60ct for 5gb/month storage

• nabonabo Member

@raindog308 said: I wonder if there is any correlation between what one is willing to pay for backup and the value of the data being backed up...

I guess we're talking about backing up LEB VPSes. The data can't be too important if it's hosted on LEB VPSes in the first place.

• marrcomarrco Member
    edited March 2012

@gsrdgrdghd even less if you use reduced redundancy. Your backup ain't your only copy after all. But i'm using AWS for more than that, so i spend more than a few cents a month. But this is LET, a crazy place where ppl spend hours of their time to save a few cents trying to fit their servers in really small LEBs

so if you want to try an additional cloud service giving you 5GB free space (till june) you can also test Google Cloud Storage

don't you think it's fun to learn python and study boto scripts to use those resources?

(and just a few minutes ago Google released gsutil 3.0 here the release notes you can also use with S3, but i prefer s3cmd for Amazon service )

Amazon's SimpleDB gives a free 1GB - you have to store your stuff as blobs in its containers.

And of course, there's Microsoft Azure, which is priced similarly to S3. Yes, you can access your stuff on command line perl, python, etc.

For either S3 or Azure, check out CloudBerry's excellent free desktop app, or Gladinet.

I am intrigued by TarSnap because of its excellent encryption and Linux focus, but it's not free or cheap.

There's also Skydrive, Box.net, and others, but I don't think they support a linux command line.

And of course, there's always another LEB...

• @raindog308 if you're interested in cloud backup with Windows check duplicati

• u4iau4ia Member

@raindog308 said: camera upload promotion

Didn't know about that promo, thanks

• I would like to drag files into my Dropbox and have them go into a specific directory on one of my VPSes but I don't know how to do this. Any noob tutorials I can use?

• Anyone tried mybackupbox?