Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Interpreting Test File Results from VPS Providers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Interpreting Test File Results from VPS Providers

emgemg Veteran
edited December 2013 in General

I have four low end VPSs from different providers. Three are scattered around the US, and one is in Europe. Each is different in some way - two are OpenVZ, two are KVM. They run different versions of Linux, etc. Some have SSDs, some don't. Etc . . .

Most LEB offers that I see include a test file, and I just tested some of the recent offers with all four different VPSs, just to see what would happen. I used the command: "wget TestFileURL".

Results:

• Not surprisingly, rates were wildly different. They differed considerably between downloads from the same source to the same VPSs, although the relative rates between VPSs were obvious.

• Test files from different sources differed considerably, too. A few provider test files were so slow that there was hardly any difference between my VPSs, even the one in Europe.

• You would expect that the farther the distance, the lower the data rate. For the most part, it is true, but some of my VPSs are definitely better than others, and it isn't entirely related to distance from the source URL.

• What caught me by surprise was that the data rate for a test file from one of my own providers for my VPS at that same location was considerably slower than VPSs from other providers in different locations, one of which is halfway across the country. Can anyone explain that?

Questions for you:

--> How do you you use the test files?

--> How do you interpret the results?

Comments