Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

any other tip to lower RAM usage beyond LEB script?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

any other tip to lower RAM usage beyond LEB script?

zhuanyizhuanyi Member
edited March 2012 in Help

Hello,

I have been trying to run a LowEndBox using LEA's famous LEB script for a while now and obviously the memory usage has been good so far. However, the LEB script was written a few years ago when Debian was still Debian 5 and PHP was still PHP 5.2 (or before that) and MySQL is still 5.0. I am just wondering with the new Debian 6, PHP 5.4, and MySQL 5.5, is there any other things that we could do to save the memory usage even further?

Thanks!

Comments

• DamianDamian Member
    edited March 2012

What kind of usage are you having on mysql? You can reduce the cache memory.

I don't think the low-end-script removes unused processes like xinetd and cyrus-sasl, if they're installed and running on your VPS.

• @Damian: Just for Wordpress...Thanks a lot for the input :)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I assume you've read this classic:

http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/yes-you-can-run-18-static-sites-on-a-64mb-link-1-vps/

That's more about the process than any specific script to run.

• Check your my.cnf, just add it & restart mysql.

[mysqld]

default-storage-engine = MyISAM

skip-innodb

• I am using LEB script now and just upgrade nginx to 1.0.3 manually, php 5.2 or mysql 5.0 is not problem to me

• MySQL 5.5's default storage engine is InnoDB, it takes up more ram.

@pineapple said: I am using LEB script now and just upgrade nginx to 1.0.3 manually, php 5.2 or mysql 5.0 is not problem to me

• nabonabo Member

@zhuanyi: Be aware that InnoDB is transaction-save, meaning that you even get your data back if the server crashed. MyISAM is not.

Thanked by 1djvdorp