Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your favourite SoYouStart Server ??
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is your favourite SoYouStart Server ??

Hi Guys,

Check out soyoustart.com, the complete OVH line up has been revealed.
Which one is your favourite?

Lets discuss it.

Thanks

Comments

• http://www.soyoustart.com/offres/sys-e32-3.xml is the best of the offerings.

Hardware RAID, 1Gbps, E3, 32GB DDR3 RAM

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I love how they use an English domain for a French website

Thanked by 2srvrpro lukesUbuntu
  • At least they finally rebranded the order system.

Shame they cant translate the site, given the size of OVH.

• @wych said:

Shame they cant translate the site, given the size of OVH.

It seems they can:
    http://www.soyoustart.ie

• The site couldn't be more screwed up when viewing from mobile.

Thanked by 1wych
  • see that got fixed too, tried that a few days ago and it was still going /fr for me.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited December 2013

With the 50 EUR setup fee they all basically suck.

What's worse, the setup fee is their experiment to try and prevent "turn-over"... which was caused by their grossly mismanaged launch of the Kimsufi upgrade in the first place! So it leaves a very bad taste, like they are now making all customers pay to cover for THEIR own mistake.

Also with this being an experiment, they are already changing terms half-way through: now they supposedly added a choice to pay the set-up fee in equal proportions over the first 6 months, added each month to the base price of the server. And for all you know they could decide this all was a bad idea and withdraw the setup fee tomorrow, and sucks to be you if you ended up ordering while it was still in place.

• boerndboernd Member
    edited December 2013

@rm_ said:
    With the 50 EUR setup fee they all basically suck.

>

Other providers with comparable offers like Hetzner also have a setup fee.

You can not find servers with that hardware and 200mbit/s unmetered bandwidth somewhere without a setup fee.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

E3 for 50Euros yes... but also for 41Euros when you buy the Backup Server :D
    http://www.soyoustart.com/offres.xml#backup

• The bad thing is that the backup servers do not have guaranteed bandwidth.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@boernd online.net has very similar offers, and no setup fee.

Infinity580 said: also for 41Euros when you buy the Backup Server

Where do you see it for 41 EUR? The cheapest backup server on that page is 50.99 EUR w/o tax (60.98 with tax).

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited December 2013

mom that was sys, i didnt see that. I thought by clicking on backup i got on a other page buts the same. But its still 41Euros instead 49Euros for the nearly same E3

• they are good value. no idea why people are complaining, because if there's a better price/value out there, they're free to go buy it.

I have a couple of older 16GB Kimsufi's and two 32GB servers. OVH have been good to me, I think their prices are excellent... and I'll be going for one of their 128GB "enterprise" servers shortly.

The only thing I dislike is their private VLAN options which seem to tie you to particular set ups.

Out of the ones here http://www.soyoustart.co.uk/offers.xml ... I'd go with SYS-i7-1. Their processors/BW are often more than adequate and I go for the value in RAM and upgrade disks where necessary.

• @ricardo, why i7 and not w35?

• @boernd said:

Online.net ?

• @sc754 said:
    Online.net ?

Yes, I already tried online.net.
    But they don´t fit my needs. (network quality)

• 35 euro is their cheapest? not quite as cheap as kimsufi then. looks like their middle tier offers.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

The setup fee gets me but honestly it's probably a good call to get more serious customers. The 35 euro one is awesome, I'd get it if they had it in canada.

• protomouseprotomouse Member
    edited December 2013

SoYouStart feels like an unfinished product to me. I've been with Kimsufi for two years and my two KS-2Gs have served me well (for what they are). I've had no problems with uptime and in general I have positive thoughts about Kimsufi and OVH.

I'm currently on SYS-E32-3 and would like to share a few observations.

1. The control panel is very much unfinished right now. Personally, I'd rather have the regular one - at least until they add the missing functionality and iron out the bugs.
    2. IPMI and ECC apply only to Avoton. My server is based on an ASUS P8H77-M PRO, which does not support these features.
    3. The hardware RAID option I can't recommend. I'm seeing some pretty bad synchronous write performance on my machine - you tell me if that's anomalous even for an array without write-back cache. There's no cache persistence.

Maybe I'm expecting too much, but for 45 EUR it feels like you're shelling out and being cheap at the same time (if that makes any sense). It's that weird space in between the server-grade hardware that others like online.net offer. In the context of targeting micro/small business customers, the current offerings seem out of place to me.

If anyone would like detailed info about the hardware, just ask. I will let my services expire, since the new control panel does not allow for early returns.

• Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited December 2013

@protomouse said:
    SoYouStart feels like an unfinished product to me. I've been with Kimsufi for two years and my two KS-2Gs have served me well (for what they are). I've had no problems with uptime and in general I have positive thoughts about Kimsufi and OVH.

I'm currently on SYS-E32-3 and would like to share a few observations.

1. The control panel is very much unfinished right now. Personally, I'd rather have the regular one - at least until they add the missing functionality and iron out the bugs.
    2. IPMI and ECC apply only to Avoton. My server is based on an ASUS P8H77-M PRO, which does not support these features.
    3. The hardware RAID option I can't recommend. I'm seeing some pretty bad synchronous write performance on my machine - you tell me if that's anomalous even for an array without write-back cache. There's no cache persistence.

Maybe I'm expecting too much, but for 45 EUR it feels like you're shelling out and being cheap at the same time (if that makes any sense). It's that weird space in between the server-grade hardware that others like online.net offer. In the context of targeting micro/small business customers, the current offerings seem out of place to me.

If anyone would like detailed info about the hardware, just ask. I will let my services expire, since the new control panel does not allow for early returns.

I have an mSP which is same hardware as SYS-E32-3 except its with Software Raid 1, we are running about 30 gameservers on it & have been very happy with the performance.

• @Jack said:
    Looks like this SYS is to boost space used in BHS and GRA as they are only possible to have setups in those two locations.

From what Oles said the idea of this new range came from the fact that 80% + people who ordered mSP didn't buy any add on, not a failover IP even. So this SYS line is basically for those who want powerful E3 v2 /i7 with 32 GB RAM without need of technical support or add ons as you cannot get RIPE blocks or get upgraded support for this SYS line up of theirs.

• Jack said: Looks like this SYS is to boost space used in BHS and GRA as they are only possible to have setups in those two locations.

I might be misunderstanding you, but I did order mine for RBX and they offer other locations at http://www.soyoustart.com/offres.xml.

• Sledger said: I have an mSP which is same hardware as SYS-E32-3 except its with Software Raid 1, we are running about 30 gameservers on it & have been very happy with the performance.

That's great - I'm glad we're both happy with our decisions :)

• @protomouse said:
    That's great - I'm glad we're both happy with our decisions :)

Yes even better is I got it before they applied this setup fee rubbish to their servers which should not be inplace for SYS & KS atleast where you get no technical support & option of addons

• May be they have not updated their UK website yet but they do offer SYS servers in Roubaix & Strasbourg @ soyoustart.com

• iSidleiSidle Member
    edited December 2013

I'd much rather have the Kimsufi.com/fr PS-30 than all of those, only 30.00 € HT for following:

Processor: Intel Core™ i7-3770S
    Cores/Threads: 4c / 8t
    Clockspeed: 3.1 GHz+
    Ram: 16 Gb
    Disk: 2x 500 Gb
    Connection Speed: 100 Mbps

Which is enough for me, as i'm only running a MC server currently.

• @protomouse said:

Have they announced anything further for Avoton? I contacted them about it but they never replied.

• @wych: it ll take them a lot more time for Avoton, they are negotiating pricing over processors to get it cheaper.