Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenPanel - Anyone knows about it?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenPanel - Anyone knows about it?

Hello,

I wanna install a not too over-complicated server management panel in my kvm vps that runs Debian as OS.
After my first google search attempt i came out on www.openpanel.com
this panel looks good and has nice functions
but now i wonder,

Has any of you ever used this panel? is it clean (not backdoored?) does it function properly or is it full of bugs?
if any of you got experience with this panel or can recommend a better one please share it.

Thank you.

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Use VestaCP, it is sooooo easy to use!

• @netomx said:

It's made by Russian Ubuntu fags though.

Thanked by 1lukesUbuntu
  • @netomx said:

Looks good too, i'll keep it in mind.

Still looking for alternative suggestions & feedback from people that use(d) openpanel!
    keep in mind that i do not want panels that are mainly focused on hosting solutions
    it will be deployed on a personal server with no intend to provide hosting of any kind
    simplicity is the key here.

• @netomx said:

Agree but it lacks so many simple features.

@Mark_R said:
    simplicity is the key here.

Use Webmin

@Makkesk8 said:
    Agree but it lacks so many simple features.

I know, it is good for newbies IMHO

@c0y said:

why fags?

• jebat_ksjebat_ks Member
    edited December 2013

@c0y said:

The fact that VestaCP originally developed for CentOS only, tells me that this is wrong

• @c0y said:

Even if that is true, they at least showed some creativity and made a product. Much better than some guy posting a homophobic comment on some random forum on the internet.

Thanked by 2netomx 5n1p
  • Developed for RHEL/LelOS only.

All the more reason to avoid it, if you ask me.

@Wintereise said:
    All the more reason to avoid it, if you ask me.

I think I installed it in Debian, but I don't remember

• @netomx said:
    I think I installed it in Debian, but I don't remember

I've installed it in both Debian and Ubuntu.

To @wintereise @jebat_ks

Tell cPanel your feelings.

• im suprised no one could provide feedback about openpanel yet
    its like no one tried it..
    maybe i should just install it for myself and see how it works out, i'd provide feedback myself afterwards.

my only concern with those "free panels" is that they cost nothing.. why?
    because thats suspicious. why would someone create something awesome and not charge a fee for it?
    the only possible reason i see on that would be that they've included a free backdoor with it.

We have made free open source software, so no big catch

• c0y said: It's made by Russian Ubuntu fags though.

Still it's yummy :P

• jebat_ks said: The fact that VestaCP originally developed for CentOS only, tells me that this is wrong

I've tested both in Debian and CentOS without any problem.

• @c0y said:

Come back when you've matured past the age of 13.

• @Mark_R said:
    Hello,

Has any of you ever used this panel? is it clean (not backdoored?) does it function properly or is it full of bugs?
    if any of you got experience with this panel or can recommend a better one please share it.

Thank you.

It's clean with no-backdoors. CloudVPS are the lead developers and main supporters of the project (i.e. real company, many employees, big supporters of open source and free speech...not some halfwit unethical suburban kids from Buffalo). OpenApp Nap (load balancer, firewall) is another useful offshoot of the OpenPanel project

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @DomainBop said:

I'm glad to hear that
    now i really wanna give it a go.

I saw the OpenApp Nap too it looks real good.

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited December 2013

Installed OpenPanel,
    works fine so far, i had around 210mb of additional downloads.

I will place a update here incase it turns out to be backdoored and rooted my server.

• vRozenSch00nvRozenSch00n Member
    edited December 2013

DomainBop said: It's clean with no-backdoors. CloudVPS are the lead developers and main supporters of the project (i.e. real company, many employees, big supporters of open source and free speech...not some halfwit unethical suburban kids from Buffalo). OpenApp Nap (load balancer, firewall) is another useful offshoot of the OpenPanel project

This is what I call tunneling :P

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2013

I can provide a little feedback on open panel.

Beautiful, functional, easy to break, hard to fix, crap on mobile devices, seemingly half interested development team, has felt like a project right on the edge of being abandoned for a long time.

I want to like it a lot more than I actually do. These opinions are at least 6 months old by the way. It may not reflect the current state of the software.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @jarland said:
    I can provide a little feedback on open panel.

Beautiful, functional, easy to break, hard to fix, crap on mobile devices, seemingly half interested development team, has felt like a project right on the edge of being abandoned for a long time.

I want to like it a lot more than I actually do. These opinions are at least 6 months old by the way. It may not reflect the current state of the software.

No problem man, im glad atleast someone could provide me feedback regarding to openpanel
    no matter how much information it is, its all welcome.

But personally i feel like a panel might not be for me, while it was installing all required packages i felt like i was accepting my server to be filled up with bloatware
    just to get a simple panel going.

I'm open for more alternatives now.

• OpenPanel is a great opensource stable control panel for hosting your websites. Highly recommended.

• @Mark_R said:

Virtualmin, VestaCP, Webmin, ISP-Config, Ajenti Panel, EHCP, zPanel, etc...

• @mcmyhost said:
    Virtualmin, VestaCP, Webmin, ISP-Config, Ajenti Panel, EHCP, zPanel, etc...

zPanel did look badass but i've seen so many negative comments about it
    regarding security, exploits etc.

I dont think this should be recommend to anyone.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Mark_R said:

Maybe some more terminal based fun? This is what a lot of people here have successfully used to get started without a control panel.

https://github.com/maxexcloo/Minstall

• The thing is, i've always been a windows user, thats why i always remain controlling my linux (debian os based) servers as ROOT
    i've used debian alot to provide people vpn services and some less legal things

I know how to control my servers without panel,

My reason for wanting a panel in the first place is to take work out of my hands
    im kinda lazy.. those panels can simplify alot tasks,

but the problem is that i dont want a panel that installs tons of bloatware and opens potential security holes
    just to install the core itself,

Those panels should be offering additional packages like apache, ftp, etc as additional software, not include and start all of it opening all possible ports.

• Mark_R said: But personally i feel like a panel might not be for me, while it was installing all required packages i felt like i was accepting my server to be filled up with bloatware just to get a simple panel going.

Look at ISPConfig. You have to install everything manually so you have the control on everything. I really don't like these panels with automated installation either. The documentation for ISPConfig is badass too...

Google for: The perfect server CentOS/Debian/Ubuntu

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @mcmyhost said:

@vRozenSch00n said:

I don't think both of you really understood my reply nor the comment I replied to.

• @jebat_ks said:

Idk if its true but people read eachothers comments before replying, ty.