Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Myopera services shutting down
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Myopera services shutting down

mahjongmahjong Member
edited December 2013 in General

Dear Users,

As the title says, myopera will shut down as of march 1, 2014. Not all of their services will cease to exist, but a lot of them will be discontinued. I moved a lot of my business account to their mail, after the closure of lavabit thinking that this provider is stable... well, it seems years in the business means nothing.

The source:
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/important-announcement-about-your-my-opera-account

And a few lines copied from there:

When My Opera was launched as a support forum in 2001, it quickly became an important place for us to meet with you. We had so much great interaction with you that we wanted to do more with our forums and our community. In 2006, we had a silly but fun idea. "What if we put our forums on steroids? Let's build a site where you can blog, share photos and add each other as friends." At that time, there were no good services for what we wanted. We decided to build it ourselves.

We saw My Opera grow into a passionate community site. For us, this whole idea of giving you a place where you could blog and share photos turned into an interesting, and very large, side project. Over the years, we've seen social media and blogging sites pop up, which offer more and better features than we could possibly maintain. These offerings are their sole business. You all know their names and you probably use their services already.

The explosion of these sites and the amount of resources we need to maintain our own service has changed our outlook on My Opera. We have made decision to shutdown My Opera as of March 1, 2014.

That’s four months from now. We want to give you enough time to move to a new service and to think of what do with your content. To make this as smooth as possible, we've made two tools to help you maintain your blogs and photos. You can preserve all your content with two simple steps...

Really said news, as i did really loved their simple web interface for mail. It is the third email provider dying off with an account of mine... (i have accounts with 2 other stable provider for x+ years now, but i like to use different mail provider for different business/topic... i don't bet everything on one horse)

Alternatives that i can recommend for mail:
gmail
gmx

If you have any other recommendation, don't hesitate to post it.

Comments

• You should check out fastmail, I know their service isn't free but its a pretty reasonable price per year to keep an account with them. It is to my understanding that they were the very same developers on My Opera mail. They recently bought back their company from Opera so I don't think they're going away anytime soon.

• host your own. It's not that difficult

Thanked by 1perennate
  • @mahjong said:
    If you have any other recommendation, don't hesitate to post it.

Use Hushmail.

• I actually quite like outlook. Free, a clean, minimalist design, generally unobtrusive ads (which you can remove for a fee), and you can use your own domains easily.