Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVZ IO Limits
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVZ IO Limits

leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran
edited December 2013 in General

Just saw this on OpenVZ website - http://openvz.livejournal.com/45831.html and it looks amazing. Instead of IO Priority, you can now specify IO limits in MB/sec. It is currently available only in RHEL6 OpenVZ Testing kernels but should be available in mainline soon.

How soon will we see this rolled out in SolusVM and part of VPS plans ?

12GB RAM
250GB space
1000GB bandwidth
1 MB/sec IO Limit

$1/month

Anyone ?

Disclaimer - I am not offering this deal, I am saying this could be offered by certain hosts once Solusvm integrates this feature.

Comments

• Wow too expensive, needs to be a loss!

• cfgguycfgguy Member, Host Rep

$1 - 250gb space. Not bad

• I'd say it won't likely be something Solus codes in anytime soon. They can't seem to fix their java error for Console to work so I don't expect them to add support directly for IO limits.

The IO limits bit has some interesting potential, specifically in an ala-cart market potential.

• If it's something like dedicated I/O that I can use 24/7, I am in. Well, certainly for some higher limit...

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Yeah why not, cheap.

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited December 2013

IMO, this feature has the possibility to change the LEB/LET OpenVZ market. For the good hosts, it will help provide better performance by limiting abusers. For the others, it will help cram even more users per node.

• Good luck earning a penny of my dirty money with that kinda stunt. Not that anyone wants my dirty penny anyway.

• @leapswitch said:
    For the good hosts, it will help provide better performance by limiting abusers.

I'm guessing most abuse is IOPs-related, rather than transfer rate-related. Certainly it will help, but its not a miracle pill.

This functionality has been available via cgroups for some time, albeit with some limitations that have hopefully been eliminated. Nice to see a front-end now.

• I'm exited to test this out with Feathur in the near future... I'm interested to see if it prevents a large volume of writes, a large volume of disk accesses or both...

• Aren't we already have several hosts which offering a huge resources, such 512MB upto 3GB memory, but with slow disk? Some of them, just wasting my time to configure. Update/upgrade/installing something took more than 30minutes. So it's just a good sign for me to stay away,