Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
How low can you go
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

How low can you go

drmikedrmike Member
edited September 2011 in General

We have a max memory thread. How about a min memory thread?

I just have my 256 meg Quickweb although I'm sure folks can beat that.

Comments

• i have a 64mb box that i use just for the occasional ssh tunnel, nothing else thoguh

Postgres

• My lowest mem box is the Xen 96 MB from XenVZ

• 64 MB running vpn and znc.

• Basil2Basil2 Member
    edited September 2011

Use my 64MB lenny box to host a couple of static pages and an image gallery.
    Previously used it for email as well but have since moved to google apps.

26MB use is about average for me on 64bit debian with another 14 for buffer/cache

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited September 2011

I had php, mysql and nginx running on a 16mb OpenVZ VPS until my test server started to kernel panic after a kernel update. It did use about 5mb swap.

FreeVPS.us - The oldest post to host VPS provider
  • Steve81Steve81 Member
    edited September 2011

64mb (hostigation backup vps) running nginx, uptimed, znc & fail2ban (they use around 35mb)

Repositories: Debian: EU US - Ubuntu: Hiawatha & Others PPA ~ Opensource projects: GitHub

Support my repositories or my projects: Bitcoin 1SteRu8WRPUqUmE1YXZPZ2cQki8CSGK1r

• 64mb from hostigation I only use about 36 MB memory

Let's bet which dot-name will collapse first ;)

• debian, lighty+php5-cgi+sqlite+gd, maradns consuming 24 MB and hosting all my (static/dynamic) stuff I need and serving my domains via dns.

• kristalkristal Banned
    edited September 2011

32mb remote access on a bot for a game.
    funny thing is there r 2 sticks of 16 :-)
    ancient lol
    base linux itself is 3,75mb
    hmm.... bot uses 12mb i wonder if i could run it on 1 stick of 16 that would be epic lol

• Hmm, the post is about your most low memory VPS, and not you memory usage...

• 128mb

• yeah thats what i mean, remote access = vps sort of hello ?

• 32mb Box.

Just for testing.

The Original Daniel.

• 64MB KVM from Carstensz Pyramid Server :)

• InfinityInfinity Member, Provider

128mb SimplexWebs Xen Box. I've used a 32Mb local Vmware box too.

Cablestreet - London based ISP - Managed Solutions, Carrier Services, Colocation, Dedicated Servers, VMs, and more..

• lots of 128MB year deals. nothing special for this forum.

You can spam me with any yearly shared hosting deal.

• 100mb xen from quality servers, been testing the low end script on it, but not sure what I'm going to do with it yet :)

• Go59954Go59954 Member
    edited September 2011

Depends on what use as 32mb RAM can work for a rsync only box, a proxy only as well can work with very small RAM. For hosting a website Nginx can work with less than 10mb so I guess 32mb RAM can be the way to go for some.

But I prefer to get deals with sufficient RAM in case I change the use of VPS or migrate (happens a lot) and so I wouldn't need to pay 3x or 4x the price of my microscopic plan just to get the additional RAM when I need. Hence I try getting plans with higher RAM from the start even if I don't use 20% of the RAM, not saying it's the absolute correct way to go but it just suits me.

☻☻ VPS ☺ as of now:- 384-256-128-512x2 ☺☺

• Go59954 said: But I prefer to get deals with sufficient RAM in case I change the use of VPS or migrate

Go59954 said: Hence I try getting plans with higher RAM from the start even if I don't use 20% of the RAM

That's a good point

• 80MB Xen VPS running LowEndBox.com is the lowest I currently have, and as I've said it's already struggling with the load. Used to run Linux on 4MB 486's but those were the days...

Blog at LowEndBox.com.

• LowEndAdmin said: 80MB Xen VPS running LowEndBox.com

Hard to believe this site actually runs off 80MB, that's impressive.

• kiloserve said: Hard to believe this site actually runs off 80MB, that's impressive.

LowEndBox, this is LowEndTalk and if I recall, has a bit more horsepower.

Hostigation High Resource Hosting - SolusVM KVM VPS / Proxmox OpenVZ VPS- Low Cost Comodo SSL Certificates
  • Yes it has, but then I have run both v2 (Django/OSQA) and v3 (PHP/Vanilla) on the same server. It does give me a nice headroom though. Like what @Go59954 has said, sometimes it is nice to have a bit more room so you can use memory to buy some more efficient solutions.

Blog at LowEndBox.com.

• SurmountedNETSurmountedNET Member
    edited September 2011

I've provisioned myself a 128MB Xen VPS for some testing/learning Nginx. Currently running CentOS 5.x and Nginx but with a single domain setup/pointing to it. Need to do some more tweaking to see how low I can get it to go.

-Curtis from Surmounted.NET | Dallas, TX Xen Virtual Server goodness.
  • 96mb with SecureDragon with some personal websites. It's been awesome.

64mb backup VPS with Hostigation as a secondary rsync box. Equally splendiferous.

I'd like to get another 64mb box for a new project but they're hard to find. I could use the Hostigation box but I think it's against the terms for anything but backups. Maybe I'll have to ask SecureDragon for a downgrade :)

• Hostigation 64mb backup VPS with Debian Squeeze, rsync, mySQL, munin server/client, thttpd, OpenSSH, cron and proFTPd idling at about 40mb of RAM. I also use it as a proxy server to grab web sites (YouTube, FaceBook, etc.) and personal email that my uptight employer would otherwise deny me.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Provider

How low would you go? If somebody wants a sub-32MB OpenVZ VPS for testing let me know and I'll setup a free VPS for the person with the lowest (realistic) RAM request. If you want to run an actual website off of it you can keep it. ;)

-Joe @ SecureDragon - LEB's Powered by Wyvern in FL, CO, CA, IL, NJ, GA, OR, TX, and AZ
    Need backup space? Check out BackupDragon
  • dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited September 2011

2 of my DNS servers are using 20mb ram, only needing more when running yum.

• NickMNickM Member
    edited September 2011

KuJoe said: How low would you go? If somebody wants a sub-32MB OpenVZ VPS for testing let me know and I'll setup a free VPS for the person with the lowest (realistic) RAM request. If you want to run an actual website off of it you can keep it. ;)

I'd be willing to try a static site with only 8MB, but I'll probably need more to start out with, at least to install stuff.

• XeoncrossXeoncross Member
    edited September 2011

I'd love to see a community project start right here. I'm already impressed by what has been mentioned here.

So we have all kinds of talented developers that could literally build the ultimate lowendbox. All we need are a few respectable members (that won't trash the box) and someone like @KuJoe to set it up.

However, it won't do any good without something to show the world so every member needs to record a screencast of their changes and post it. Don't worry, there is free screencast software for every OS.

• I'd actually be crazy enough to try to run wordpress in 8MB or 16MB :D

• Let me fix my test server and I'll throw WP on a 16mb VPS just to see how/if it works.

• I don't think 16MB will be enough for WP. MySQL is going to be a problem, I think. If you cache super-aggressively, it might be possible, though.

• I have 128MB for testing. Haven't thought of every going any lower than that.

Tailored VPS offers fully customizable VPS Hosting
  • http://16mb-wp.d3vm.net/

It's using the vswap, but it works! I'll add a status page to the top links.

• NickMNickM Member
    edited September 2011

Well, comments seem to take 45s+ to post, and trying to post a second comment, I got a 502. But nicely done! -1 for using vswap though

• my 1mbps upload was maxed out, which was causing most of the slowness. The 502 was from me messing with it.

• I'm happy to document the process of setting up a super low end server and can even work on a script (I've developed a few in the past: http://www.github.com/maxexcloo/).
    ;)

• Lowest i ever got is the 128MB from BuyVM

• Well, I did manage to get wordpress on a 8MB OpenVZ VPS, but only with 32MB vSwap :P

@NickM MySQL isn't much of a problem, however PHP is :(

@dmmcintyre3 Nice job getting that running in such little RAM/SWAP :)

• I've recently canceled my QuickWeb account, there were more than 12 hours downtime for one week. This was my 2nd month, the first one was ok

• I think the baseline for a lowend VPS should be determined by the minimal amount of memory required for a functional OS -- including updates. There's no sense having a VPS that can't be maintained.

So for example, what's the absolute minimal memory required to run apt-get on a barebones system? I know it works fine on my Hostigation 64MB/96MB (oomguarpages/privvmpages) but how much lower is possible?

Wordpress is a memory hog, just forget it. What's needed is a lightweight blog designed to use minimal memory ;)

• I created another 16mb VPS with 32mb vswap, and it ran yum -y update without issues, but there was no packages to update.

• @sleddog, 16mb, seems:

http://blog.aplikacja.info/2009/12/aptitude-vs-apt-get-memory-usage-on-debian/

I think that the minimum necessary memory, with the chance to ssh it and spawn a shell, is 24mb +32mb burstable (maybe the burstable mem can be reduced to 24mb).

24mb to manage the daemons (www, inted, php) and spawn a shell, the burstable mem to use system tools on the vps if needed.

Repositories: Debian: EU US - Ubuntu: Hiawatha & Others PPA ~ Opensource projects: GitHub

Support my repositories or my projects: Bitcoin 1SteRu8WRPUqUmE1YXZPZ2cQki8CSGK1r

• japonjapon Member
    edited September 2011

Wordpress is a memory hog, just forget it. What's needed is a lightweight blog designed to use minimal memory ;)

How about Serendipity?

For small linux you could use MicroCoreLinux. It runs in 28MB RAM completely. It has BusyBox but can be replaced with GNU versions.

La parole nous a été donnée pour déguiser notre pensée.

• japon said: For small linux you could use MicroCoreLinux. It runs in 28MB RAM completely. It has BusyBox but can be replaced with GNU versions.

Debian can run in 2 MB, easy.

• Debian can run in 2 MB, easy.

Without and usage, of course. But you should be able to administrate (update and use core-functions) it.

La parole nous a été donnée pour déguiser notre pensée.

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited September 2011

I kinda think we should stick with a distro that is readily available & proven on OpenVZ. For minimal memory usage I think that would be Debian (from my experience).

In my own limited testing, "apt-get upgrade" on Debian 6 consumes 15MB of oomguarpages and also 15MB of privvmpages -- without downloading/installing any packages (no updates available).

A minimal set of daemons to provide full 'functionality' might include: cron, syslogd, dropbear, exim4, nginx and php-fpm, and will consume ~12MB oomguarpages & 18MB privvmpages.

Which brings us up to ~ 27MB oomguarpages & 33 MB privvmpages.

Then I think we need to add a little more for stuff like an SFTP connection or log rotation, say 1 MB.

So with a bit of rounding-up to be comfortable :) lets say 30MB oomguarpages & 40 MB privvmpages as a minimum for a fully-functional OS with a dynamic PHP-driven site.

That's under 32MB, right KuJoe? :)

• We moved our clients from wp to Serendipity a few years back with some very happy results once we got over the initial bumps and some issues.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Provider

I really liked the community project idea so instead of my previous offer, if anybody wants to step up as a lead or project manager let me know and I'll go over the specifics with you regarding the VPS and you can start adding user accounts to the server. I'll even setup the host node to do hourly backups in the event somebody decides to screw around. :)

I think it would only make sense to start with a fairly low dedicated RAM number with a fairly high burst RAM number and see how much we can scale it back (to allow for initial installs and such), how does that sound?

-Joe @ SecureDragon - LEB's Powered by Wyvern in FL, CO, CA, IL, NJ, GA, OR, TX, and AZ
    Need backup space? Check out BackupDragon