Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LEB really needs it's own chat/IRC channel
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LEB really needs it's own chat/IRC channel

Shane_ElmoreShane_Elmore Member
edited March 2012 in General

I mean, the Frantech IRC is good, but is limited, as we cannot talk about our own LEB providers, etc. Do you think we need our own?

Comments

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2012

@DepotVPS_Shane said: , as we cannot talk about our own LEB providers

IRC isn't for free promotion. People talk about pretty much everything in #Frantech. This has been brought up millions of times, all it takes is a search.

• I have my other reasons. One being that I don't get the feel that it's for LEB, but support.

• It is just a community. They do offer support there, but you don't have to talk about that stuff.

• It's casual community. We don't have a problem with general discussion, you can talk about your own service all you wish; we just ask that you don't advertise in there :3

• IRC is so 90s...

• I don't see a problem with Frantech's IRC. If you wish, you could run your own, but !banme works most of the time.

• What's the problem with Frantech's?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Ivraatiems said: What's the problem with Frantech's?

People want to be able to self promo. For a while there we ran the channel as a Free-For-All and it turned into nothing but people sitting there trying to snipe people coming by looking for our business, not some others.

Francisco

• I meant in the context of Shane's original post. Like aldryic said, it's not that you can't - you just can't make offers.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Ivraatiems said: I meant in the context of Shane's original post. Like aldryic said, it's not that you can't - you just can't make offers.

That's questionable. We actually had a case that I had to publically vent where we had a user that gets free services from an LEB sit there and say 'go with them instead'. He wasn't the host, nor was he making an offer, he was simply a shill.

Francisco

• kalamkalam Member

That's just sad.

• I think I'll start counting these IRC threads. This is the fourth one I remember (though I know there were more).
    Ok, 4.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2012

It would be cool, but what I see as most common problem with IRC over all those years is that people want to "own" something (ie. channels/community) while many others don't appreciate authority of one of them (or us) and that's why "hey I created #lowendbox channel at.. everyone is invited" won't ever work.
    Things would maybe work if LEA (as impartial person which we respected and trusted) would personally created channel on some 3rd party network but as this never happened we see every now and then individuals with tendencies for very own LEB channel but nothing further.
    It would be actually nice to meet some people and chat with on some calm, pleasant IRC community but I am afraid that it would sooner or later turn into battle of interests, trolling, power trippin, etc... so I really don't care much if we have or haven't IRC channel.

• What about integrating some kind of chat system into the LET website?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2012

Web integrated chat is good for... occasional visit while regular hanging on IRC with own IRC client is something completely different. Mibbit, cgiirc, etc.. are ok if there really isn't any other option but many IRC users (especially from LEB community with all those bouncers, Irssi/BitchX sessions, etc..) would really dislike to use webchat for regular hanging on some IRC channel.

• Lets form own IRC network! :D
    Can you imagine with so many LEB boxes... if every lowentalk user who wants for fun to link own IRCd and then we list all those servers... would be crazy :)
    (it's just a thought, nothing serious)

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2012

@DotVPS said: I'm sure @Chief Can spare an IP and 128MB RAM and a 1GB disk on his new server.

Yeah, that's why I specially named LEA (as impartial person which we respected and trusted)

/joke :P

• NickPNickP Member

lowendirc.com anybody?

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited March 2012
    #lowendbox on irc.freenode.net has been around for a while, but pretty much dead.
  • @dmmcintyre3 out of curiosity, is it known who registered it at freenode?

• DerekDerek Member

@Spirit said: @dmmcintyre3 out of curiosity, is it known who registered it at freenode?

Flufsor, he made me moderator a while back.

Room has not really been occupied since 2010, theirs a thread on the old version of lowendtalk.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2012

Lets get people on here there! :)
    Come on in guys.

• DerekDerek Member

@Infinity said: Lets get people on here there! :)

Come on in guys.

irc.freenode.net #lowendbox

or you can goto http://webchat.freenode.net/

Enter your nick, the channel is #lowendbox and then you just enter the captcha.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • Wow cool! The #lowendbox channel on freenode has lots of people in it now.

Please anyone who has gone to the frantech irc for LEB/LET chat, come on over
    to freenode too :)

• I just joined and seems fun. Many know fac... erm, nicks :)

• I hope more people join up :) Its really nice having a provider neutral IRC channel.

• THEHACKBOX ABUSES HIS POWER.

• @Kairus said: THEHACKBOX ABUSES HIS POWER.

My bad... You can join again just please don't join as drmike. We have had people already abuse that nick today.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2012

@Kairus said: THEHACKBOX ABUSES HIS POWER.

That's not true! He's reading http://freenode.net/catalysts.shtml and he like it :P

Thanked by 1TheHackBox