Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LEBs with much traffic
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LEBs with much traffic

gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
edited March 2012 in General

Hello,

I am currently building a small CDN for non-profit use (see my other thread and i'm looking for cheap LEBs (<2€) with much traffic. Currently i have:

BuyVM 15$/year - 500gb traffic
misterhost.de 2€/month - 2tb traffic

What other hosts/packages to you guys know with a goof bucks:bandwidth ratio?

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I am looking for similar many times, if that misterhost.de is real and it does provide 2 tb, grab it. I doubt they break even with that traffic, not to mention make proffit.
    M

• OVZ-128 128/256 10 GB 500 GB 1 $20/yr

At hostigation

• How much bandwidth do you REALLY need monthly. Also what is you total monthly budget.

This will help people come up with a plan.

Also $1 will get you 316 GB Bandwidth.

• The question is, do you need all this bandwidth and the CDN or you're playing around and doing nothing?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Why do I have the feeling that the OP is building his own "CDN" by stringing together a half-dozen LEBs across the planet...

Why do I have the feeling that there will not be a seamless failover if one of them goes offline...

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@raindog308 said: Why do I have the feeling that there will not be a seamless failover if one of them goes offline...

That's pretty easy to code provided the main box that can geo-locate the requests is up all the time ;) I've coded one but after that MaxCDN trial, I just use that.

• Ehh you can have multiple systems for geolocating by using DNS to serve A records pointing to multiple hosts.

On the other hand, MaxCDN is quite fast and easy. Their mascot freaks me out though.

Wtf is that anyway?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Damian said: Ehh you can have multiple systems for geolocating by using DNS to serve A records pointing to multiple hosts.

Depends on the setup. You can go ghetto style GeoDNS which works pretty well but if you don't have a setup adding/pulling servers from pools, you can end up with regions being dead.

:)

Francisco

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited March 2012

@raindog308 said: Why do I have the feeling that the OP is building his own "CDN" by stringing together a half-dozen LEBs across the planet...

Why do I have the feeling that there will not be a seamless failover if one of them goes offline...

I'm using gdnsd which does HTTP checks every 10 seconds to see if the nodes are online and always returns the nearest, online node.

As said before, i can make a small tutorial on this if theres interest.

@OneTwo said: The question is, do you need all this bandwidth and the CDN or you're playing around and doing nothing?

Well i want to use it to provide free hosting for open source/free projects.

• RophRoph Member
    edited March 2012

I guess you should be asking yourself at this point, why should people choose your service over ohloh / sourceforge / google code and the like?

• I second MaxCDN, they are way more reliable and CHEAP than stringing LEB's toghether.

Oh, and if you didn't know, you can get 1TB of MaxCDN for free ($35 value, free)

http://www.retailmenot.com/showcoupon/3370673/view11/

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2012

Why so negative? I see no harm in @gsrdgrdghd attempt and welcome every such project :)

@gsrdgrdghd with edis.at you can get 500GB for 1.45€/m and 1TB for 2.99€/m. And as you most likely know you can choose among plenty interesting locations like sweden, austria, italy. HDD quota can be limitating factor here.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited March 2012

Agree with @Spirit.
    I can get like... 3-4TB for... $20 maybe? And not only Edis, other providers with 2-3USD boxes.
    But of course, this is worth it when you have enough traffic to justify that cost.

Any idea what happens after the 1cent trial of MaxCDN? They will invoice me a full TB? Or I will start with the "pay as you go"?

• @yomero I posted that deal here http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/1722/1-tb-cdn-almost-for-free 10 days ago, today @sonic reported coupon is expired

Thanked by 1yomero
  • Just using MaxCDN is too easy, i wanna make something myself :)

Heres the gdnsd config:
    http://pastebin.com/MSpAMcbc

And the relevant part of the zone file:

cdn 60 DYNA geoip!prod_cdn

Now with the same setup on 2 different nameservers, does anybody see a problem/single point of failure with this?