Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Networking Help
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Networking Help

peachstolipeachstoli Member
edited December 2013 in Help

My ISP gave me a /29 ip block for my new FTTH connection.
I wonder how can I assign those ips to my dedicated servers in my LAN ?.
I used DMZ when i had ADSL. I think DMZ is only for 1 IP.
How you guys do it ?. NAT ?.

Edit : Typo

Comments

• Well for for starters a /30 is really only 1 usable for you. the /30 is a total of 4 IPs, 1 for broadcast, 1 for the network address and then 1 is on your ISP's end and is your gateway. Only leaving one usable IP for you.

So really isn't any different than what you had before, just likley set up a bit different

• peachstolipeachstoli Member
    edited December 2013

Sorry its a typo. Mine is /29. I have 5 Usable IP.

• @peachstoli said:
    Sorry its a typo. Mine is /29. I have 5 Usable IP.

Ok. What type of router do you have? Are you still going to need NAT for your PC? or are you only going to have 5 Devices connected?

• peachstolipeachstoli Member
    edited December 2013

mitpatterson said: Ok. What type of router do you have?

Im using Asus RT-N65U Gigabit Router which is connected to ISP supplied GPON Terminal. I do have more than 5 Devices.

Update:

I have a Netgear router in hand. So I need to assign my 4 IP to my servers and 1 to Netgear Router. So i can do NAT on netgear router and connect other devices to it.

• @peachstoli said:
    I have a Netgear router in hand. So I need to assign my 4 IP to my servers and 1 to Netgear Router. So i can do NAT on netgear router and connect other devices to it.

What i would probably do is set you Asus to do a "public LAN" and then use the IP's behind it and stick the netgear behind it to do the NAT, granted that would eat up another IP that way since you would need an IP for the Asus and the netgear.

Another option is to do whats called 1 to 1 NAT, the name should be pretty self explanatory as to what it does.

• mitpatterson said: What i would probably do

Thanks for the information. Let me further investigate on that.

Do you know what kind of setup does these LEB providers( Own Hardware from their garage ) use ?. What kind of router they uses ?.

• @peachstoli said:

Well most of the providers on here that i've seen don't host from their garage..... they use an actual data center(or co-locate/rent servers in one) And once you get to Data center speeds you are generally talking higher end Cisco/Juniper(or similar) grade gear(aka out of your price range more than likely)

• mitpatterson said: don't host from their garage.

Yeah I know. I do have couple of dedicated servers from Softlayer.
    Can you suggest me a router to announce my IP block ?. ( Should Support Ipv6 and Multihoming ) . I don't care price bt least will do.

• You generally don't have to "announce" the block. Especially that small of one. Most providers filter anything below a /22 or so. So the existing gear you have should work.

• Filtering is actually less than /24 on most modern networks, unless you're thinking last mile nsps -- but that's a debate of another day.

People usually do not announce (The proper term is BGP announce) anything for home connections, nor will your ISP be thrilled to give you BGP in most cases.

Just set up a one-to-one NAT, your N56U can do this just fine.