Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Firewall/Filtering
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Firewall/Filtering

PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

Hi,

I've currently got a Minecraft server (hosted in the UK with DotVPS - thanks @Jack). Obviously, that is not advertised as DDoS protected or anything like that.

I know that Minecraft servers are one of the more common things to get targeted. Therefore, I was looking to purchase a low-end dedicated server and use it as a firewall to filter the traffic before it reaches the Minecraft server, hoping to give it a little more protection. I've heard of people using similar methods to accomplish this. I'm not sure if I'm explaining this correctly; but hopefully you understand what I'm looking to do. I'm not sure of the best way this could be accomplished - any ideas?

I'm currently looking at the OneProvider U2250 9 euro per month server (which I presume is resold from online.net although not 100% sure).

Thanks.

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2013

Make sure the dedi has ddos filtering or it'll be the same story on that end. They won't accept "well I just made it a ddos filter" because it's still hitting the switch.

That said, consider a GRE tunnel to handle the forwarding. Good old iptables for the rest.

Thanked by 1PacketVM
  • PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@jarland said:
    Make sure the dedi has ddos filtering or it'll be the same story on that end. They won't accept "well I just made it a ddos filter" because it's still hitting the switch.

That said, consider a GRE tunnel to handle the forwarding. Good old iptables for the rest.

Hey, thanks for replying.
    It doesn't look like online.net has DDoS filtering (as I believe thats who the server is from) although not sure.

Any idea on budget DDoS filtering server providers that I could do something like this with?

• Why not just get a server from online.net with their basic ddos protection, latency shouldn't be too much of a issue UK > FR

• ovh ? I have heard some issues with their filtering btw

I'm a fan of ovh these days, their filtering is supposedly pretty decent.

@INIZ said:
    Why not just get a server from online.net with their basic ddos protection, latency shouldn't be too much of a issue UK > FR

I would prefer to get it through OneProvider if they do go through Online.net.

However, does even the 9.99 online.net server come with the standard protection at no cost?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Why don't you try delimiter? $10 server and use a buyvm proxy, seems about right IMHO

• GaNiGaNi Member
    edited December 2013

@netomx said:
    Why don't you try delimiter? $10 server and use a buyvm proxy, seems about right IMHO

I don't think he would want to play on a US server from UK/EU

@netomx said:

Do you mean use GRE to filter it from BuyVM > Delimiter (or another dedicated provider) and then filter it again from Delimiter to DotVPS (where the MC server is hosted)?

Apologies if I've got that completely wrong.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I'm waking up, I didn't read all. I thought the dedicated was to host MC.

BTW, I also thought you were in the US

Nope :P The MC server is already hosted at DotVPS. I'm looking for a VPS/dedicated server to filter the traffic to the DotVPS server to try and mitigate some of the DDoS attacks if any come in. It looks like BuyVM's filtering may work with GRE although they're in the US and the MC server is in the UK.

I'm not in the US, no :)

• SecureDragon provide ddos protection in EU iirc.

@Jack said:
    Open a ticket, I'll do a GRE for you from my personal Kimsufi I have.

Jack handles business ;)

• budi1413budi1413 Member
    edited December 2013

@Jack said:
    Open a ticket, I'll do a GRE for you from my personal Kimsufi I have.

That's why i add IIRC. :D

Edit: Okay, Portland located in us. :okaymeme: