Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated Server vs VPSes
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated Server vs VPSes

Ive been noticing that my dedicated server has been having a <2 load now for a while - with 16 CPUs.

There are 9 VMs on board, and each of them has less than <.9 load, except for the MineCraft Server.

What I am thinking is to migrate all these VMs to high-quality VPSes instead, which would be cheaper, and would allow me to focus on maintaining the VMs instead of both the host node and the VMs. Ive already wasted quite a lot of time maintaining the host node, and it doesnt have the best of performance either as I can only afford SW raid1.

The VPS provider I am interested in migrating to is (Ramnode), on their OpenVZ SSD line.

Since the MineCraft Server seems to be a bit CPU-hoggy, it will be moved to a VPS with a dedicated core.

What do you think?

Comments

• I'd say if you are going to do this, don't put all your eggs in one basket. Shit happens. Better split your VMs between 2-3 different reputable providers that match your requirements.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • Your minecraft server is not going to be happy on a vps even if it has a dedicated core (usually a HT core).

As for the load on your VM's you should check with Ramnode about their CPU load maximums. 0.6-0.9 sustained load per core is generally not tolerated on most VPS providers.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

You should test it out for a couple of weeks before migrating.

• Ramnode Max CPU load is 0.9.

Dedicated HT core can try abusivecores.com @drserver's new site.

That's why L5639 is in demand. IF mining ROI not attractive, can turn to host dedicated HT Cores :P

• Load average includes disk I/O wait time.

That load average of 0.6 - 0.9 with software RAID-1 will probably drop significantly on a good SSD node.