Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do not upgrade your CentOS 6 kernel to 2.6.32-431.1.2.el6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do not upgrade your CentOS 6 kernel to 2.6.32-431.1.2.el6

rds100rds100 Member
edited December 2013 in General

I have posted an advisory for our users here - https://www.fitvps.com/members/announcements/85/CentOS-65-kernel-2632-43112el6---DO-NOT-UPGRADE.html

But since not everyone is our user, here is a general heads up: Do not upgrade your CentOS 6 system with the newest kernel 2.6.32-431.1.2.el6. This would make your system unbootable.

This affects people with dedicated servers or KVM VPSes. People with OpenVZ VPSes should not worry, since they are using the hosnode's kernel.

There is already an entry about this in the CentOS's bugtracker - http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=6831

Comments

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited December 2013

nvm

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited December 2013

nvm too then :)

• rds100 said: nvm too then :)

it was working fine because it didnt update as it should have (meaning the updated kernel) :(. defo not gonna apply it now lol.

But it's yet another great excuse to move to windows :)

• TarZZ92 said: But it's yet another great excuse to move to windows :)

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited December 2013

Zen said: windows? and why are you running centos at home on the first place?

i Run 2 micro servers, one for windows, one for Dev/Openvz

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

It is funny, people were just saying how stable and enterprise-worthy centos is compared to debian and ubuntu.

Thanked by 4Zen Inglar Shoaib_A tux
  • @Maounique said:
    It is funny, people were just saying how stable and enterprise-worthy centos is compared to debian and ubuntu.

Heh. It's just like those datacenters claiming to have 100% uptime... until it doesn't.

• Doh! Reinstalled my newly delivered dedi twice today due to this issue.
    At least I know it's not some weird hardware issue now though.

(You can get it to boot if you remove the old kernel first though.)

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Maounique exactly my thoughts

• @Maounique said:

So there's never been an update to Debian or Ubuntu that caused a server to not boot? Right...

• Maounique said: It is funny, people were just saying how stable and enterprise-worthy centos is compared to debian and ubuntu.

Nothing is perfect. General statements are just that, general. There are exceptions to just about everything in this world, no matter how sure you are of something. Pragmatism.

• @Maounique said:

You speak about it as if you are completely unaware the kernels all come from the same source and that older ones tend to be more stable.

• ok. those centos vs ubuntu theory come up again. wow

• @Maounique said:

Debian is the best :)

Thanked by 2tux Inglar
  • Story begins..

• ramonwapramonwap Member
    edited December 2013

lol

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited December 2013

CentOS has released new kernel packages that fix this problem. It may take some time until the new packages fully propagate to the CentOS mirrors, so it would be a good idea to wait at least until tomorrow before updating your CentOS 6 server.

edit: here is the announcement - http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2013-December/020075.html

• When did all this happen anyways? I have been installing and updating all day yesterday and today and nothing I installed got that kernel. Was it ever even in stable branch?

• @sman it happened today. But when they figured out that this kernel package is bugged they pulled it from the mirrors to limit the impact. So only some people managed to install it.
    Also the problem only shows if you reboot the server after the update (i.e. the new kernel can't boot).

• MagiobiwanMagiobiwan Member
    edited December 2013

They pulled it from the repos, so you shouldn't be able to install it now. If you accidentally did, boot to the last kernel version (should still be in GRUB) and remove the new one. If you don't have OOB management (if it's a Dedi without IPMI) time to ask your DC for help.

• The new fixed kernel seems to be OK

uname -a

Linux test1 2.6.32-431.1.2.0.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Dec 13 13:06:13 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
  • I also upgraded 4 KVM VPSs to 2.6.32-431.1.2.0.1.el6 and they booted successfully.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@petris said:
    So there's never been an update to Debian or Ubuntu that caused a server to not boot? Right...

I didnt say that, just that it is funny this came up right when we were talking about how much better is centos over debian and ubuntu because it is enterprise. I wonder, RHEL had the same issue ?

• Maounique said: I wonder, RHEL had the same issue ?

Probably not, from what i understand this was not even a kernel bug but a CentOS specific packaging problem - they somehow forgot to include some signing/verification keys, and without these keys it refused to load modules because it didn't recognize them as trusted.

• ghostghost Member
    edited December 2013

don't worry. If you get kernel panic, just reboot with older kernel.
    and fix update kernel already release

I just feel sick with seems they just do auto build/rebuild and didn't through test really...

• ghost said: I just feel sick with seems they just do auto build/rebuild and didn't through test really...

Yeah lol... That's my only gripe with CentOS. It adds an extra layer of risk since they can introduce problems or not release security fixes fast enough. I understand a lot of work has been done to improve that but it's still not on par with RHEL/Debian/Ubuntu on that matter.