Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MySQL vs MongoDB: Performance & Memory Usage?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MySQL vs MongoDB: Performance & Memory Usage?

Anybody experienced with these 2 DBs?

1. How do they compare to each other in:
    • Performance
    • Memory Usage
  2. Which one is more suitable for using in a LE VPS (E.g: 128MB RAM)?
  3. Which one is more expandable as VPS can be upgraded or I can buy a DS if needed?
  4. Which one is better for development & maintenance?

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• MongoDB - memory, memory, memory and more more memory. 128MB RAM isn't going to work, more like 128GB.

But saying that Mongo is fantastic to develop with - remember one is SQL (MySQL) and one is a docstore (Mongo)

• Performance wise, on a single LEB, I'd say they're pretty close. MongoDB gets its fast speed when the working set (hot data) is all within RAM. It's basically what you'd expect if you tuned MySQL buffers to hold data in memory.

It's lack of a SQL parser makes it faster after that, but the newest versions of MySQL, MariaDB, and Percona all have equivalent bypasses that let you access innodb as a key-value store.

Previous MongoDBs also seemed faster because they skipped on the durable store part. The newest ones, with journalling properly enabled, are going to be limited the same way bin-logging on MySQL will limit you. And likewise, both durability constraints can be loosened up to achieve performance.

One thing I liked about MongoDB vs MySQL was the autosharding and replica sets. It has very customizable write concerns that lets you tailor the durability/safety on a per request level. Maintenance is a nightmare though.

My advice, stick with MySQL unless you need a specific feature of MongoDB. Play with it on the side to get a better feeling of what it does before building a whole project around it.

• apples and oranges

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

• @jarland said:

Awesome video, check out the rest of his series for more kicks...

Thanked by 1jar
  • Useful rule of thumb from one of the AWS re:Invent presentation this year...

If your usage is such that you're generating several TBs (>5) of data in the first year OR have an incredibly data intensive workload, then you might need NoSQL. Otherwise, use SQL.

• @tchen said:
    Useful rule of thumb from one of the AWS re:Invent presentation this year...

or just use partitions

Thanked by 1tchen
  • Intel Core i7 Haswell vs AMD Radeon R9.

• @jcaleb said:
    or just use partitions

Definitely on the roadmap to scale. Although I'm guessing the 5TB had more to do with online schema updates than anything. And no, I'm not suggesting schema-less is heaven. I view it as a hot-iron in the eye poke...

In any case, SQL can take you very far... farther than any place you can reach on a LEB at least.

Thanked by 2jcaleb Rolter