Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MaraDNS (Deadwood) Security Update for CentOS and Win OS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MaraDNS (Deadwood) Security Update for CentOS and Win OS

painfreepcpainfreepc Member
edited December 2013 in General

Sam Trenholme said:

MaraDNS security update

While looking over the source code to Deadwood, I discovered that Deadwood 3 releases before Deadwood-3.2.03d have a security issue caused by a programming error I made.

Under certain exceptional circumstances, it may have been possible to perform a blind spoofing attack against unpatched releases of Deadwood. The IP performing the blind spoofing attack needs to appear to have permission to perform full recursion with Deadwood in order to carry out the attack.

Read more

Comments

• First time hear about MaraDNS.

• DeanDean Member
    edited December 2013

Never heard about MaraDNS before.

// off topic - I get suspicious about posts like this where the poster copies a post from somewhere else but includes affiliate links in their signature... My suspicion comes from running forums that used to get targetted because of their PageRank and used to see things like this all the time... it may not be the case but just thought I'd say :-)

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Why the hate for affiliate links?

• painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited December 2013

@DeanClinton said:
    Never heard about MaraDNS before.

// off topic - I get suspicious about posts like this where the poster copies a post from somewhere else but includes affiliate links in their signature... My suspicion comes from running forums that used to get targetted because of their PageRank and used to see things like this all the time... it may not be the case but just thought I'd say :-)

would you like me to remove my affiliate links every time i post something!!!

note: maradns is not new software.. been around a long time

the main maradns web site is a PR5, i don't thank Sam needs my SEO help,

use key words "dns software" the website is page one.

• painfreepc said: would you like me to remove my affiliate links every time i post something!!!

Yes :)

The original intent of this forum (and the LEB website) was to learn and share, not to provide a platform for people to signup and try to make a buck.

Make a website. Put whatever you want on it. Put a "My Website" link in your sig. Get with the community spirit.

• Use djbDNS. It's safer and lightweight.

• painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited December 2013

@vRozenSch00n said:
    Use djbDNS. It's safer and lightweight.

Not hear of many problems with maradns.. have you

• @vRozenSch00n

Guppy loads pretty quick!!

So you get any decent sales with the affiliate stuff? As I recall you have had that website for quite a while, even way back when LEA was still admin.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • vRozenSch00nvRozenSch00n Member
    edited December 2013

@earl It pays all the VPS I need, but Google slap me hard with the algorithm change.

It is fast because I use Apache mod_ruid2 + xcache

Thanked by 1earl
  • painfreepc said: Not hear of many problems with maradns.. have you

It is safer and lighter than older Bind, so far no problem heard with MaraDNS. AFAIK it is also supported by ISPConfig3.