Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there any FREE alternative to CPanel that can restore a backup?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is there any FREE alternative to CPanel that can restore a backup?

Hello All

Just wondering if anyone knows a CPanel alternative that can restore CPanel backups?
I could not find anything in my searches,

Thanks in advance

Comments

• VPNVPN Member
    edited December 2013

Virtualmin.

http://virtualmin.com/

wget http://software.virtualmin.com/gpl/scripts/install.sh chmod +x install.sh ./install.sh

Installed.

• Is that the only one? Thanks so much :)

• funkyblue said: Is that the only one? Thanks so much :)

Virtualmin/Webmin is most likely the best one

• OK Thanks everyone!. I'll stick with those.

• I think both VestaCP and zPanel are able to do that

• @skybucks100 said:
    I think both VestaCP and zPanel are able to do that

Yup, VestaCP makes automatic backups and can restore selectively or entire accounts, it's quite a useful feature. I just rsync the backups away and don't have to worry about backing up my sites individually.

• I though the OP wanted to restore CPanel-backups and wasn't searching for a CP that can do backups and restore its own. If the latter is the case, then any decent CP should be able to do that.

• @ska said:
    I though the OP wanted to restore CPanel-backups and wasn't searching for a CP that can do backups and restore its own. If the latter is the case, then any decent CP should be able to do that.

Correct, in which case I think Virtualmin would be the OPs best choice. I can't confirm if VestaCP does allow cPanel backups to be restored or not.

• @nunim said:

I'm a sinner and take manual backups :(

• @skybucks100 said:
    I think both VestaCP and zPanel are able to do that

Not sure if zPanel can restore a cPanel backup.

It can restore its own (obviously) but doesn't like to include any sql tables with it (when I last used it).

• @ska said:
    I though the OP wanted to restore CPanel-backups and wasn't searching for a CP that can do backups and restore its own. If the latter is the case, then any decent CP should be able to do that.

It seems so, I don't know of any that use the cPanel backup format. Your best bet would probably be to restore the backups manually if you don't have many accounts, if you do have a bunch, writing a simple bash script might not be too hard.

• @wych said:
    It can restore its own (obviously) but doesn't like to include any sql tables with it (when I last used it).

Wait, does he want a panel that can backup/restore LIKE cpanel? Or a panel that CAN restore cpanel backups...? I thought he wanted the like one...

• @skybucks100 said:

I had to double check then, I read it as he wants to get rid of cPanel and use another panel but use his backups from cPanel to setup with?

But yeah I don't know of any panel that takes cPanel backups and rebuilds.

• @wych said:
    But yeah I don't know of any panel that takes cPanel backups and rebuilds.

My suggestion to that would be get a 15 day cPanel trial, install it, restore the backups and get your files. From my limited web panel info, I pretty sure all panels have pretty much a custom backup type.

• @nunim said:
    It seems so, I don't know of any that use the cPanel backup format. Your best bet would probably be to restore the backups manually if you don't have many accounts, if you do have a bunch, writing a simple bash script might not be too hard.

@skybucks100 said:
    My suggestion to that would be get a 15 day cPanel trial, install it, restore the backups and get your files. From my limited web panel info, I pretty sure all panels have pretty much a custom backup type.

The OP can just use Virtualmin as stated already in this thread. No need to complicate things with manual file moving or trials.

• @OkieDoke said:
    The OP can just use Virtualmin as stated already in this thread. No need to complicate things with manual file moving or trials.

Then you'd be stuck with Virtualmin, which in my opinion isn't great.

• I just need something that can restore CPanel backups properly, with full file dates. I need to go through a bunch of backups , and with shared hosting, I can't restore my own backups. As I discovered a VPS is a good solution but CPanel costs. I'll give Virtualmin a go and see if it does what I want :-) Thanks everyone!

• @skybucks100 said:
    Then you'd be stuck with Virtualmin, which in my opinion isn't great.

Ok. Well the OP wants a free alternative to cPanel that can read and restore cPanel backups.

Given the lack of support from other panels to support the cPanel backups, the OP doesn't have much choice. Given that he already has cPanel backups, he has used it and presumably wants to move away from it.

• Im surprised there is not more compatibility with CPanel. It where I'd presume most people would move from.

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

kloxo

• Kloxo-MR

• @OkieDoke said:
    Given the lack of support from other panels to support the cPanel backups, the OP doesn't have much choice. Given that he already has cPanel backups, he has used it and presumably wants to move away from it.

Err, that's why I recommended manually..? Restore the cPanel backup, save the public_html contents (or be fancy and rsync it) and then backup the mail, mysql, etc. It's not too complex. He shouldn't be locked to only what's easiest in my opinion, there are other options.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Get extra job, buy cpanel :)

• skybucks100 said: My suggestion to that would be get a 15 day cPanel trial, install it, restore the backups and get your files. From my limited web panel info, I pretty sure all panels have pretty much a custom backup type.

Seems a rather smart idea.

jarland said: Get extra job, buy cpanel :)

There are great free solutions out there. Unless he needs to host clients on his own, that seems a waste of money. The one I prefer, i-mscp works great.

• vestacp

• Virtualmin restored my cPanel backups perfectly. Do note: the mailserver username changes.

• kyakykyaky Member
    edited December 2013

@mpkossen said:
    Virtualmin restored my cPanel backups perfectly. Do note: the mailserver username changes.

can virtualmin handle a large website for backup and restore?one of my site has.nearly 20G data. I hardly use panels. just wonder if large backup in virtualmin works

• VPNVPN Member
    edited December 2013

@mpkossen said:
    Virtualmin restored my cPanel backups perfectly. Do note: the mailserver username changes.

That's a good point, Virtualmin uses name.domain whereas I believe cPanel uses [email protected]

• kyaky said: can virtualmin handle a large website for backup and restore?one of my site has.nearly 20G data. I hardly use panels. just wonder if large backup in virtualmin works

It can, it will just take a while to backup -> transfer -> import.

OkieDoke said: That's a good point, Virtualmin uses name.domain whereas I believe cPanel uses [email protected]

Yep.

• So this is what I get trying to restore a CPanel backup in Virtualmin.

"Restore failed : The specified source does not contain any domains, or is not a Virtualmin backup"

What am I doing wrong?