Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hard Drive space offered by VPS providers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hard Drive space offered by VPS providers

Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
edited December 2013 in Providers

Hi,

I have seen some budget providers(yes quite a few on WHT and may be there are some at LEB too) who offer 1 GB VPS with 100+ GB space but node setups they normally have are:

Xeon E3 12xx v2
32 or 64 GB RAM
2 X 2000 GB SATA in Soft Raid 1(And the datacentre doesnt allow additional drives)

So what I fail to understand is

1.Do they not put more than 20 clients on the node?

OR

2.They oversell or over-committ HDD space somehow?

3.If they oversell HDD space, is it even possible wih XEN, KVM or any other virtualization to do so?

Thanked by 1iKeyZ

Comments

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

No, Yes, Yes

• Probably oversold. That's why most decent hosts only give around 40 or 50.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Sledger said:
    budget providers(yes quite a few on WHT and may be there are some at LEB

Are you sure you're not lost?

• 1) No

2) Yes

3) Yes

• @jarland said:
    Are you sure you're not lost?

I don't want to name the hosts as I do not see it as a good habit to point fingers but if you search around you will surely find some.

• @mcmyhost said:
    1) No

2) Yes

3) Yes

I understand overselling resources with OPENVZ is nothing abonormal but HDD Space can be oversold with XEN, KVM or VMWare also?

• @Sledger said:
    I understand overselling resources with OPENVZ is nothing abonormal but HDD Space can be oversold with XEN, KVM or VMWare also?

Yes, Disk can be oversold on Xen and KVM.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Sledger said:
    I don't want to name the hosts as I do not see it as a good habit to point fingers but if you search around you will surely find some.

So you're saying there are budget hosts on LEB but you don't want to be rude and point them out?

I'd be happy to. They start on page one and end with an offer from VPS Ace yesterday.

• Who uses 2 x 2TB SW RAID anymore?

• @Sledger said:
    So what I fail to understand is

Oh, the naivety :)

If hosts didn't oversell there would be no Low End Box|Talk.

You just gotta find the good ones who don't allow overselling to impact performance -- or at least not too much.

• @serverian said:
    Who uses 2 x 2TB SW RAID anymore?

I personally know a lot of them who do, yes then there is a majority who uses Raid 0 as well.

• @sleddog said:

I know RAM or other resources can be oversold in OPENVZ but was wondering if its possible to oversell HDD in KVM or XEN since people claim its not possible ot oversell resources in them.

• @jarland said:
    I'd be happy to. They start on page one and end with an offer from VPS Ace yesterday.

You probably didn't get it.What I wanted to say was that I don't wanna point out the hosts who offer such big amount of drive space with 1 GB or less RAM offers

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

we do offer low disk because it is on high quality ssd/sas/san storage. That costs a lot of money.
    Apart from OVZ, we dont oversell space and even there it is limited, most of the time it stays below 50% used.
    However we do offer special storage plans and there are many others than do where space is much bigger than usual.
    Ours are KVM/Xen so you can mount that space without issues wherever you like.

• @Sledger said:

I know RAM or other resources can be oversold in OPENVZ but was wondering if its possible to oversell HDD in KVM or XEN since people claim its not possible ot oversell resources in them.

HDD and even RAM can be oversold on KVM or XEN. Although it may be more apparent compared to openvz (depending on the situation), it's still very much possible.

HDD is not apparent. It is handled outside the VM, but memory is.

• @Maounique said:
    HDD is not apparent. It is handled outside the VM, but memory is.

In KVM, memory can be completely transparently oversold as well; sadly.

Hum, never tried, not even at home to overcommit ram, I thought you need the baloon driver.
    Anyway, best overselling is done with vmware :P

• Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited December 2013

@Maounique said:
    Hum, never tried, not even at home to overcommit ram, I thought you need the baloon driver.
    Anyway, best overselling is done with vmware :P

Care to elaborate a bit how vmware is best for overselling?

I have been using vmware vSphere for a couple of years for personal use but never thought its possible even.

• for oversold with xen/kvm you can do it i think without using raw partition but you will lose on speed from some benchmark i read. I don't think it's possible to oversold raw partition at all but i may be wrong.

• @Maounique said:

https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Virtualization_Administration_Guide/chap-KSM.html

@Sledger said:

At least in our experience with ESXi you could do some pretty funky things, such as run KVM virtualization inside your ESXi guests (virtception?), as well as thin provisioned disks, RAM, and even exact CPU shares.

For KVM, there exists a technology with LVM to create "pools", but SolusVM does not support it whatsoever (feathur might?) You can read more over here:

https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Logical_Volume_Manager_Administration/thinprovisioned_volumes.html

• @Nick_A said:
    No, Yes, Yes

Using LVM may be its possible but how do providers using Solusvm do it which apparently does not support such thing?

• @Sledger said:
    I personally know a lot of them who do, yes then there is a majority who uses Raid 0 as well.

Really? This host must be very unreliable, since there is no data protection :(.

• Most not just oversell the diskspace, they oversell their IOPS. Then contention on some of the systems I have seen in crazy

• emgemg Veteran

Question:
    How can you find out the specifications for the node that your VPS is hosted on?

Comment:
    I don't mind if the provider oversells anything, as long as it does not affect my VPS's operation or performance. I am underutilizing my VPSs in both RAM and disk space. It helps keep prices low for me if the provider can let another user have them until I need them. The caveat is that the provider must be prepared to give me what I paid for when I need it. Therefore they must keep some of their income in reserve to buy additional resources (more nodes) when demand calls for it.

• It depends on the host. We don't oversell any resources. It's simply not fair to our customers to do so.

• @Vpscraze said:
    It depends on the host. We don't oversell any resources. It's simply not fair to our customers to do so.

And you still manage to sell in an LET budget?

• @emg - this is where you just have 'believe' the provider. There was a provider in France I think it was, he sold Xen servers all over the place but he had his own control panel and he openly displayed the stats of the servers and the VM's on it.

So you could see Node 1234 CPU, memory, IO then for each VM on there you could see the same. Of course this could be easily manipulated, but it was a degree of openness you dont see these days.

Having been involved, from a technical perspective, with quite a few acquisitions that Yomura has made over the past few months, I can tell you that overselling is rife. One company we acquired blazoned across their website 'no overselling'. Go into the first server, 64GB RAM, 5 x 1TB (RAID50) - there was about 100GB RAM sold, about 8TB of disk sold, CPU oversubscribed 5-6x, the bus must have been oversubscribed at least 10x given the number of IOPS going on.

This particular company had about a dozen servers like this, we ended up doubling the number of servers to cater for the customer base but having seen this first hand in almost every business we have acquired, I wouldn't trust any assertion that you're buying non-oversold resources.

• Does anyone have a documented example of disk overselling w/ KVM? Review our setup I'm at a loss for how it can be done with Virtualizor.