Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How good is a Debian OpenVZ image when you can't even apt-get update after install ???
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How good is a Debian OpenVZ image when you can't even apt-get update after install ???

Hello guys,

I'm really wondering : am I the only VPs user getting crazy when a fresh install of Debian at my VPS provider doesn't even want to "apt-get update" ??? (i.e. I need to change the sources.list EVERY time i reinstall)

Isn't it the very basic requirement to offer your client a "clean install" ??

Cheers,

Comments

• For OpenVZ this is weird.. for KVM it isn't because the sources.list has the CD/DVD Rom thingy in the list

• What's the problem with apt-get update? Is it an ipv6-only VPS or something?

• @joodle said:
    For OpenVZ this is weird.. for KVM it isn't because the sources.list has the CD/DVD Rom thingy in the list

That should be disabled by the end of the installation?

@rds100 said:
    What's the problem with apt-get update? Is it an ipv6-only VPS or something?

I think he means the debian 7 minimal template from rackster.ch which uses offline sources.list servers :) a lot providers havent fixed that.

Thanked by 1rds100
  • use http://debgen.simplylinux.ch/ to generate sources.list if you like.

btw, you can update, but just don't dist-upgrade if you use debian 7. run/initctl will get corrupted.

• trexos has EXACTLY spotted the issue ! Yeah it's these bloody servers from switzerland !

• @benjamin74 said:
    trexos has EXACTLY spotted the issue ! Yeah it's these bloody servers from switzerland !

I have this issue with nearly every server of me:P but i dont think providers are interested in changing the sources. You could write a .sh script for that though:)

• IMO, those providers who fail to fix that even when brought to their attention by clients are daft.

I recently brought it to the attention of a prominent provider here, who responded by saying "We're aware, but it's not really a priority at the moment. It's on the to-do list, and we'll likely get to it soon."

I could fix it in 5 minutes on the node and generate a new fixed template. They seem to be just lazy.