Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Market Research] LEB CDN
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Market Research] LEB CDN

Hello LET'ers!

Would you be interested in a LEB CDN? (CDN made of LEB's)

It would be a CDN with a very low cost per TB and many different servers across the globe. It would be fairly easy to setup and maintain.

Comments

• tell us more.

• @dedicados said:
    tell us more.

20+ Locations, Unmetered / 2TB bandwidth @ each location.

Basic Control Panel

• StellaEVStellaEV Member
    edited December 2013

Whats the general speed you are aiming for?

I have my own right now, made by a few hosts (yay btsync + varnish), and would be happy to test if wanted.

FYI, ive found that Ramnode works quite well for this, I can get around 10-13MBps from Atlanta-LAX

• Yes please!

• i did this essentially with 8 VPS i have from LEB

used rage4.com to connect them all with geoip

• I am using CloudFlare Pro on most of my domain.

But well let see what you got for us.

• Been thinking of setting up a personal one for distributing client binaries, so it's something I'd consider.

• Is anyone who already made one okay with sharing some code? This topic comes up enough that it'd be cool if a few folks could collectively work on one/make one better.

• Generally, just get some fast VPS from LEB and connect them using OpenCDN or similar.

• Very interested in this. More info?

• @jimaek

I believe it will be a low-end (or maybe not, just cheap) CDN made using cheap VPS'es listed on LEB.

• I think Rage4 promised to create such CDN.

The problem with this idea is always software. Its not hard to build the infrastructure but a Control Panel to allow users to control it is not an easy thing. Needs either a good programmer or a lot of cash to hire a freelancer.

• Since it's using LEBs, does that mean it'll be based on GeoIP DNS to give users the closest server? How do you plan to go about it? Is it something custom or will you use a third party (like Rage4)?

• A ready GeoDNS service makes more sense. Cheaper, easier and faster.

Except from CP the other problem would be performance. LEBs are not known for their good performance. I have a lot of experience with them in jsDelivr.

They simply can't compete with enterprise CDNs.

So a LEB CDN would have to be VERY cheap to attract users.

Oh and I think traffic would be an issue. Bandwidth is very expensive especially if you multiply it by the number of locations you offer.

I don't think a LEB CDN could offer cheap enough services to compensate for the performance problems and still make a profit.

• I don't think a LEB CDN could offer cheap enough services to compensate for the performance problems

The performance problems of many low-grade CDN networks negate the primary reason for website owners to use a CDN: to improve performance, improve page load times, etc. I can't count the number of times I've visited a site that is using a crappy CDN network and had to wait several seconds (sometimes 20 or 30 seconds) for the images from their slow loading CDN to load. You'd be better off not using a CDN than using half the CDN services that have popped up in the last few years.

• I think you'd need a bunch of nodes, with an extra few in prime locations, and a smart load balancing algorithm to be able to effectively send users to the most-idle nearby nodes. The nodes would have to have some amazing network speeds, and ideally some good I/O. It's definitely not as easy as just setting up nginx all over the place and using GeoDNS, although that'd work fine for something light/for personal use.