Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1Gig disk not enought
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

1Gig disk not enought

NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
edited December 2013 in Help

Hi,

I ordered a kvm from edis with 1gig disk, so problem is 60MB get filled in some days so mysql crashes and im fucked. Just running Lighttpd + PHP and Mysql on it.

Any idea how to fix this?

Comments

• BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited December 2013

Updates? Logs? Cache?

• to be honest 1gb disk is going to struggle for most things using standard templates.

I'd look to purge logs, cache and then start to be quite aggressive about moving packages you don't need, lang's, unneeded libs, etc...

• duckeeyuckduckeeyuck Member
    edited December 2013

I used to love edis, still do. But their disk sizes really made me look away.
    They could start by offering 3gb/usd ratio on their plans.

• Clear up the logs and caches whenever possible, i got 1 KVM with them (2 GB HDD) and still got like 1.3 GB or so left on it.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited December 2013

You should get around 200MB back with:

Remove cached .deb files

cd /var/cache/apt/archives
    du -ch
    rm –f *.deb

Remove log files

cd /var/log/

Remove list of packages:

rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists/*
    (apt-get update will recreate it back)

Delete already installed (non needed) downloaded .deb packages

apt-get clean

edit:
    I forgot to ask you what distro you run :P

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited December 2013

I got 128MB Back, enought to start mysql again. I hope that holds now, just for DNS :P

Thanks.

• Such spirit. So low end. :D

edited December 2013

Next Level 600MB, maybe some floppys in raid 10 :D

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Infinity580 said: some floppys in raid 10 :D

I can give you a quote on those I have some 10+ various models, including 5.25" ones.

• If you are using it just for dns, you can definitely remove a lot of packages you don't need. A minimal Debian installation usually requires ~ 500MB

• @dannix said:
    If you are using it just for dns, you can definitely remove a lot of packages you don't need. A minimal Debian installation usually requires ~ 500MB

With Minstall it is possible to get around only 260 Mb used in Debian 6 :)

• I can't believe there are still companies that still sell VPSes with less than 10 GB of space; I couldn't imagine anything that could run on that kind of space

• The lowest i see now is 2gb storage with 32mb memory.

• @duper51 said:
    I can't believe there are still companies that still sell VPSes with less than 10 GB of space; I couldn't imagine anything that could run on that kind of space

It depends how low end you are going...

• @Infinity580 : I think you should move your VPS to some other provider, 2GB space is surely going to be a problem in long run.

edited December 2013

It's working now, but i need to clean up the apt-get cache after every update when i vergot this... my Database would crash. You need to pay edis 128MB server's yearly so atm no.