Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chicago or Toronto Dedi
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Chicago or Toronto Dedi

agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep
edited December 2013 in Requests

Looking for a dedi in Chicago or Toronto with something close to the following:

2 x L5420 / 5520
16-32gb of Ram
500-1TB HDD
Gigabit port 5-10TB of traffic
13 useable ips

Would like to try and keep it in the $50-$60 area but will consider other offers.

Absolutely no Continuum DC. Their network seems to be under maintenance or ddos every other day.

Comments

• mcmyhostmcmyhost Member
    edited December 2013

We can do Chicago but only high-end specifications. (SteadFast)

Would you really prefer CC over Continuum?

I know it doesn't really fit what you want, but we can do

• E3-1230v2
    • 16GB RAM
    • 500GB SATA
    • 5TB @ 1Gbps

This is $100/m (Above your budget, I know)

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Roughly double the budget lol! Dunno why people don't like CC I haven't had issues on their network.

• @agoldenberg said:
    Roughly double the budget lol! Dunno why people don't like CC I haven't had issues on their network.

Yes, SteadFast is a great-yet expensive DC to be in. (Our VPS are in CC though, and their network is surprisingly good)

@mcmyhost Thanks for the offer but $100 is more than I'm willing to spend on a hobby box.

• @agoldenberg said:
    mcmyhost Thanks for the offer but $100 is more than I'm willing to spend on a hobby box.

Fully agree, if you are willing to budge on the location I can get you a better offer.

@mcmyhost I just need low latency to Canada so that's why I went with Chicago or Toronto because OVH is pretty high latency forma Canadian provider.

• @agoldenberg said:
    mcmyhost I just need low latency to Canada so that's why I went with Chicago or Toronto because OVH is pretty high latency forma Canadian provider.

ReliableSite might have something.

• We could do it in Dallas if you are interested? $49/month.

Check latency: http://tx.lg.cloudshards.net

Both your Texas and Buffalo locations are too high latency for me. They're both ~50-60ms

I'm looking for 20-30

• c0yc0y Member
    edited December 2013

@agoldenberg said:
    Both your Texas and Buffalo locations are too high latency for me. They're both ~50-60ms

I'm looking for 20-30

What in the world would require such low latency? Getting into forex trading? shrug

@c0y well the idea is to run a few dev vms and a CS:GO server so 30ms would be nice. 50-60 is ok, but I'd like to have the lowest latency possible.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

@agoldenberg We're still here at 40-45 ms in Atlanta...

• @agoldenberg Delimiter has Toronto servers but dont think there are any offers available there. Speak to Steve ([email protected]) he will be able to tell you.

@MarkTurner yeah $250 a month is the cheapest they have in Toronto

• @agoldenberg - I'm sure they'll do offers in the next few months then, they are probably waiting on us to make some offers to them, then they'll pass them on.

@MarkTurner Hurry up already!! Which Toronto DC do you guys use?

• @agoldenberg - Its our own - other than some legacy servers at OVH in Paris, we only use our own facilities.

@MarkTurner do you have a test IP?

• @agoldenberg - email Steve and get him to send you one.

• @c0y said:
    What in the world would require such low latency? Getting into forex trading? shrug

VOIP

• @dnwk said:
    VOIP

That's more about packet loss and stability than latency.

• @concerto49 said:
    That's more about packet loss and stability than latency.

Not really. I am running one and has some first hand experience.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@mcmyhost said:
    Yes, SteadFast is a great-yet expensive DC to be in. (Our VPS are in CC though, and their network is surprisingly good)

Our Chicago network is top notch, it should be amongst the very best in the region.

We've invested very heavily in all of our prime locations (Buffalo, Chicago, Dallas, LA), and if you evaluate our network performance without bias you'll see just how fast they are.

• smansman Member
    edited December 2013

Sort of depends what you are doing but you are most likely going to be better off in Chicago. There are some very good data centers there with great ping times to all over N. America. Toronto backbone connectivity doesn't seem as good. At least that was my experience.

Also you are going to be paying more in general in Toronto for your bandwidth and for the same spec server. Even if they claim unlimited bandwidth there is no such thing. Someone is paying for it and one way or another that cost gets passed on to you.

If you are set on Toronto I would stay away from the outlying datacenters. Those are going to be where the better deals are but it's not worth it. Rackspace and power may be cheaper but I'm pretty sure they gotta pay more for bandwidth so again, one way or another that gets passed on to you. Also connectivity is probably going to be worse. Either because of poor interconnects or because the provider is cheaping out on their connectivity because it costs them more than it does the guys downtown.

• @jbiloh said:

Must agree

Download from Cachefly: 79.7MB/s 
    Download speed from OVH(BHS), Canada: 13.1MB/s 
    Download speed from Datashack/WSI, Kansas City: 12.9MB/s 
    Download speed from TMS, Dallas, TX: 10.8MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 48.0MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 23.5MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 23.7MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 50.8MB/s
    Download speed from BurstNET, Scranton, PA: 39.0MB/s
    Download speed from BurstNET, Los Angeles, CA: 8.65MB/s
    Download speed from BurstNET, Miami, FL: 20.1MB/s
    Download speed from BurstNET, Dallas, TX: 19.2MB/s
    Download speed from WANsecurity, San Francisco, CA: 74.1KB/s
    Download speed from WANsecurity, Los Angeles, CA: 58.2MB/s
    Download speed from WANsecurity, Kansas City, Missouri: 96.9MB/s
    Download speed from Volumedrive, Northern, PA: 11.1MB/s
    Download speed from Turnkey Internet, New York Tech Valley (??): 5.42MB/s
    Download speed from PhotonVPS, Los Angeles, CA: 1.84MB/s
    Download speed from Fiberhub, Los Vegas, Nevada: 529KB/s
    Download speed from ServerComplete, Jacksonville, Florida: 65.4MB/s
    Download speed from IOFlood, Phoenix, AZ: 17.7MB/s
    Download speed from Dacentec, Lenoir, NC: 58.7MB/s 

Nice, @mcmyhost

In all of the locations I listed we're distributing multiple 10ge links per cabinet via EX4500s. We may be one of the few hosts that can actually sell a full cabinet of dedicated servers connected at 1gbit and actually be truthful when we say there is no oversubscription at the access layer.

• skybucks100skybucks100 Member
    edited December 2013

@jbiloh said:

I'm curious, do you know which providers sell out of your Seattle (aka Lynwood :) ) location? I'm only aware of 1-2 and the rest colo out of the Westin or Sentris.

• @jbiloh said:
    Nice, mcmyhost

In all of the locations I listed we're distributing multiple 10ge links per cabinet via EX4500s. We may be one of the few hosts that can actually sell a full cabinet of dedicated servers connected at 1gbit and actually be truthful when we say there is no oversubscription at the access layer.

Might want to check for issues with FiberHub, they usually perform well on this test.

From your Dallas, TX location

Download speed from Fiberhub, Los Vegas, Nevada: 16.0MB/s

@skybucks100 said:
    I'm curious, do you know which providers sell out of your Seattle (aka Lynwood :) ) location? I'm only aware of 1-2 and the rest colo out of the Westin or Sentris.

The only ones I know are https://liquid-solutions.biz/

@mcmyhost If your ever looking to leave SF shoot me an email. Dupont is first class all the way (where our space is in Chicago/Elk Grove).