Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SSD-cache setup
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SSD-cache setup

I have a server with a 500GB HDD and a 128GB SSD, both attached to SATAII ports.
What I want to do is utilize the SSD drive for caching purposes to improve IO performance, but I am not very sure of how I can achieve that setup, as I cannot add any hardware to the server.
I've heard about flashcache, but I don't know anything about it. I want to install CentOS 6.5 on this server.
Can somebody tell me how to setup SSD caching on this server?

Comments

• charliecharlie Member, Host Rep

Hi!

Are you want to use this server to virtualisation, or a regular server?

What kind of services are you want to run on it?

• how about using ssd as swap

• @charlie said:
    Hi!

Are you want to use this server to virtualisation, or a regular server?

What kind of services are you want to run on it?

Virtualization. QEMU.

• @ynzheng said:
    how about using ssd as swap

Not sure how that would work out. Since from experience, VPSes don't really use SWAP that much.

• Google flashcache / bcache / dm-cache

All provide means for using ssd as cache device, but are still somewhat beta stage, maybe not an option if its a production box

• @prae5 said:
    Google flashcache / bcache / dm-cache

All provide means for using ssd as cache device, but are still somewhat beta stage, maybe not an option if its a production box

Its a production box. Does that mean I have to purchase some hardware in order to be able to utilize the SSD for caching?

• I haven't tested it in a while, so you will need to research when i looked at the options a few months ago they were all not production ready in my opinion.

• @Zen said:
    If you can't follow the flashcache information and work it yourself I would not recommend asking for help setting it up, it's only a matter of time until you need help fixing it..changing it..recovering all of your data.. etc

Either don't use it or read the docs and understand how it all works

I had just seen a glimpse of the word flashcache somewhere before. Just read about it and figured out how to set it up.

• FlashCache is easy to set up, however it doesn't work with the latest CentOS 6.5 kernel.