Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a little help with rsync - not ignoring files?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need a little help with rsync - not ignoring files?

NekkiNekki Veteran

I'm having a bit of trouble with rsync trying to copy files that already exist in the destination.

I originally copied these files from source A to destination B. I later moved the files from B to destination C. I'm Now trying to update the C from A, but instead of just copying the differences, rsync is attempting to copy everything.

Originally I ran with the arguments -avz and after a little googling, I tried --ignore-existing but I get the same result.

Any ideas? I can't seem to find any instance of the same issue on the intarwebs.

Comments

• when you copy files,some attributes of the files maybe changed,so rsync thought they are difference files

• None of the existing files have been modified since the first sync, there are just new files added to the directory structure.

• how to copy at the first time?also rsync?

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2013

--ignore-existing sounds like it should work, I tried it with rsync -avz on two directories and it didn't update the non-identical file. Not sure why it's not working for you. What other options are you using (these might override it)?

• @cgs3238 said:
    how to copy at the first time?also rsync?

Yep, every transfer was made using rsync.

@perennate said:
    --ignore-existing sounds like it should work, I tried it with rsync -avz on two directories and it didn't update the non-identical file. Not sure why it's not working for you. What other options are you using (these might override it)?

Only the -e parameter in addition to -avz

• Double check perms and ownership are the same.

• Well..that is against what "rsync" offers. Something ( like metadata ) must have changed with those files I believe and thus the files are synced again. Also "rsync -vrplogDtH" is what I use always as it will copy over everything as it is.

• @tchen said:
    Double check perms and ownership are the same.

They weren't, but that was intentional and shouldn't have caused al the files to be redownloaded; if the files are identical and permissions aren't, rsync very quickly changes them all. I tested this.

@nixtree said:
    Well..that is against what "rsync" offers. Something ( like metadata ) must have changed with those files I believe and thus the files are synced again. Also "rsync -vrplogDtH" is what I use always as it will copy over everything as it is.

I can't figure how anything could have changed, the source 1 hasn't been switched on for months, so I can't work out how anything would have changed.

Just to finish this off, thanks for all the suggestions but in the end I just let the rsync run in full over the course of the last two days, and I'll just have to hope I don't need to move the files again!