Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are IP Anycast and BGP possible at LEB pricing?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Are IP Anycast and BGP possible at LEB pricing?

Hi there,

I would like to start saying hello everybody, as this is my first post here. It's been almost a year as a passive reader, but it's time to move my fingers.

I'm interested in two topics, closely related:

• First, I would like to know if there are any provider in the Low End range giving the option to announce IP blocks owned by the user. This environment is populated by really active and responsible providers, but it's always good to know you have your eggs in different bags. Also, they are, usually, local providers, offering one or few locations. They're doing their best in their locations, but quite limiting for those interested in global presence for some services (like DNS).

• Second, and closely related to the previous question, is it possible to IP Anycasting through Low-End providers?

Thanks for your attention!

Comments

• ElliotJElliotJ Member
    edited December 2013

Hey there,

There's a few people who spring to mind, who I know operate AnyCasted networks. I'll tag 'em below to see if they're interested in contributing their knowledge.

@gbshouse operates Rage4 DNS over AnyCast (With a lil' help from @William?)
    @Amfy operates DNS4.pro, but as their website states it, it's co-owned by @Prometeus

Hopefully this'll get some responses :)

Thanked by 1lmerino
  • gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@lmerino - we can announce your IP spaces and provide you anycast, feel free to PM me

Thanked by 1lmerino
  • Thanks both for your quick reply!

@gbshouse I will definitely pm you soon.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited December 2013

We have a service for that in most locations, but charged extra - RIPE IP space/ASNs only as well (no LOAs).

(likely) Available in all locations in the future (except Spain, US/CHI and Germany) - Currently beta testing in Sweden, Italy and some others.

NO SLAs on BGP sessions or uptime - ABSOLUTELY NOT INTENDED for unicast space unless you can take downtime here and there.

• Thanks @ElliotJ for tagging me as well.

@lmerino feel free to PM me as well, however, your best option probably is to go with Edis on their locations. Seems as they got a nice new product addon or that ;)

You could also start combining all these options if it's for anycast: Since Edis doesn't provide BGP in Germany on this point, we can do so. In my opinion that is the only option to build a budget anycast network anyway. But you will soon notice that you have to invest a lot of work to get the anycast network usable by only spending a low budget.
    There's a reason why large anycast networks have hired BGP engineers, and invested tons of money to have "good routing". :)

• Amfy said: You could also start combining all these options if it's for anycast: Since Edis doesn't provide BGP in Germany on this point, we can do so. In my opinion that is the only option to build a budget anycast network anyway. But you will soon notice that you have to invest a lot of work to get the anycast network usable by only spending a low budget. There's a reason why large anycast networks have hired BGP engineers, and invested tons of money to have "good routing". :)

I vouch for @Amfy, he knows what he does very well and his setup for DNS4 (his own DNS provider) is plain out marvelous.

Thanked by 1patrick7
  • what vps place does amfy run?

• I'm also a DNS4 user and highly recommend them. I have a paid account, supporting 18 domains total. In addition to providing a top notch service, they've been extremely responsive to support requests and feature enhancements.

• ExpertVMExpertVM Member, Host Rep

If you need BGP session in Singapore, do drop us an email.

• Ben said: what vps place does amfy run?

None public (yet), only customized solutions (often managed - in general not really for LEB, except if it's technical interesting like BGP). However, if you need anything, just PM me.

@emce: Glad to hear that we solved your DNS needs :)

I have something from @ExpertVM as well, so can perfectly recommend them.

• We no longer offer BGP sessions for VPS customers, but can do it for dedicated servers. Feel free to PM me if you are interested. AS16154

• Thanks everybody for your posts. It looks like there is a big gap when you want to go for Anycasting and BGP. Never understimate a network engineer :) Definitely, I would or wouldn't follow this road, as it seems it's too much hard for low budget.

I would definitely choose @williams 's EDIS services as first stop for global presence, and local providers like @ExpertVM and @rds100 for other more-exotic-to-me locations :)

It also seems @gbshouse are developing a really interesting product and @Amfy can be an strategic provider.

The great level you are showing really impressed me, guys. Congrats to everybody for your work :)

• There is no mystery to this, just build an easily deployable config for nsd/powerdns/bind/blahdns along with bird/quagga/exabgp and push it out with puppet/chef/ansible/salt.

Googling will reveal plenty of VPS providers that can supply a BGP session, these normally come without full table and you just announce your prefix(es). Most charge a setup fee, some of them are excessive ($100+), many also have an additional monthly.

I would advise looking at AnyNode (US), Leapswitch (India), GridLane (Sweden) or ZettaGrid (Australia).

If you know of any others please post them to this thread.

I'm building out my own anycast network at the moment AS60564, still some regional gaps I'm looking to fill - http://noc.esgob.com/

• What's the reason of creating own anycast network ?

I would never host my domains with a small providers of DNS such as Dns4 and Rage4.

One DDoS attack = All domains will go down.

• @alexvolk said:
    What's the reason of creating own anycast network ?

I would never host my domains with a small providers of DNS such as Dns4 and Rage4.

One DDoS attack = All domains will go down.

To create unique services.

Anycast can be used to mitigate DDosS attacks, moving services nearer the user and having less SPOFs.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@alexvolk - I would say > 100k domains is not small, beside that I would assume that if we are good for such providers like Prometeus we should be good for you :)