Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

cheap vps for folding(if allowed) and irc bouncers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

cheap vps for folding(if allowed) and irc bouncers

wiiguywiiguy Member
edited March 2012 in Help

hello im trying to find a a vps thatallows folding(highly doubt any good ones will allow it though)
and they should also allow connection to irc network :)
i rather have it as cheap as possible :)

i thank youi for your time reading this

greetz,
wiiguy

Comments

• RophRoph Member
    edited March 2012

I don't know about folding, but I'm running ZNC on my £1.50/mo minivps.co.uk box without any issues. The latency is great, even though I ZNC to a few different networks.

cpuinfo says I have 4 cores available, and ZNC certainly compiled fast with make -j4.

• ok i was planning to use "Pre-Sales Contact Us" on minivps.co.uk to ask if fodling was allowed but seems i need to be registert to that :/
    thanks for the suggestion though Roph

• What is folding?

• @dclardy said: What is folding?

maybe best if i give you a link to it > my explaination sucks

folding

• lumaluma Member

Since most providers share each cpu core with other users I really doubt any provider will let you Fold.

It would cause other users to suffer and It also puts a strain on the system it self (higher wattage, more heat etc)

Leave folding for your home machines :)

• @wiiguy said: im trying to find a a vps thatallows folding

Would you want to be your neighbor knowing folding was allowed?

Thanked by 1marrco
  • @miTgiB said: Would you want to be your neighbor knowing folding was allowed?

hmmm if he were to limit the cpu usage, yes :) , no idea if that is possible in linux though(with windows it is)

• Why would you want to fold on a VPS?

• wiiguywiiguy Member
    edited March 2012

@Kairus said: Why would you want to fold on a VPS?

anything is better then my crappy pc :/

besides this way even the vps company help cure some stuff :p (joke)

• flyfly Member

no, the question is, WHY would you want to fold on a vps.

he's asking this because there's no real reason to pay money for a VPS in order to do f@h. it just decreases performance the whole machine, which leads to other things like your neighbors dropping the host, and then on the extreme possibility, your host doesn't have enough clients to keep alive.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited March 2012

We allow IRC bouncers.

If you want to do folding, we can attempt to accomodate you. You'll be put in with the lowest CPU units level we offer, so that you'll basically get idle cycles of one half of one CPU core.

• u4iau4ia Member

I agree with @MiTgiB I wouldn't want to be on that box.

• @Damian said: We allow IRC bouncers.

If you want to do folding, we can attempt to accomodate you. You'll be put in with the lowest CPU units level we offer, so that you'll basically get idle cycles of one half of one CPU core.

and what would be the price ?

• @wiiguy said: and what would be the price ?

It would be regular price. There's a $1.99 plan that would probably suit this well.

Please keep in mind that this will be a trial run for us, too. If we find that folding is a bit too stressful for my liking, then we'll ask you to stop. If it's the deal breaker, we can refund your money; we have a 3 day trial period anyway, and we'll know within 3 days. :)

Thanked by 1wiiguy
  • @Damian said: It would be regular price. There's a $1.99 plan that would probably suit this well.

Please keep in mind that this will be a trial run for us, too. If we find that folding is a bit too stressful for my liking, then we'll ask you to stop. If it's the deal breaker, we can refund your money; we have a 3 day trial period anyway, and we'll know within 3 days. :)

i can guess i can give it a try, should i just signup ?

Thanked by 1flufsor