Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CentOS 5, Ping unknown / host unreachable
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CentOS 5, Ping unknown / host unreachable

JacobJacob Member
edited March 2012 in Help

I am having a few issues, After installing CentOS 5.7 it appears their is a issue.

I can run wget / yum update perfectly fine and it connects with a decent speed but when trying to ping a IP Address or Hostname it says "Host is Unreachable". I have searched on the internet and at the momment putting it down to the dns resolvers but I am not sure what to set these too.

The IPTables is not showing anything that could block ICMP.

Am I right in thinking this is the /etc/resolv.conf file?

Comments

• Hm, possibly. Try using google's DNS servers - 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

• @Jacob

We had this exact issue today on a new KVM node. Change /etc/resolv.conf to

nameserver 8.8.8.8
    nameserver 8.8.4.4

• JacobJacob Member

I spent like 3 Hours yesterday with the annoying noise of 5 Fans Constantly in my ears trying to fix this issue, Well aswell as doing other things but yeah I only had one monitor so searching google on my phone was not fun at all and having to constantly switch the Display cables around.

• Lol i spent hours today wondering why i could ping the server from the outside but couldn't ping google from inside.

I had been playing with KVM network bridges at the time, due to the newer versions using "em1" instead of eth0 i was thinking i had slipped eth0 somewhere i shouldn't have, turned out the resolv file was empty :P

• JacobJacob Member

Hehe, I will boot it up later tonight and see if the fix above works.

Thanks guys!

• JacobJacob Member

It is still not working, My resolv.conf is the following:

nameserver 8.8.8.8
    nameserver 8.8.4.4
    search localdomain

• JacobJacob Member

It's on a shared network at the momment.

• Have you tried stopping iptables? as I recall, the default installation of iptables is rather stringent.

• JacobJacob Member

@Damian Still is playing up and Ping isn't working.

• Hmm, can you paste the results of ifconfig here?

• DamianDamian Member
    edited March 2012

You said something about shared network.. is a public shared network of some sort? As in, ICMP may be blocked by something upstream of you?

Can you ping localhost?

• JacobJacob Member

Pinging localhost works, Ill just box it up and drop it off at the DC. Im sure James can sort this.

Its proberly my router but my desktop pings fine.

• You might behind a network that only allows certain port, I know at college they only allow port 80 and 443.

• SELinux may be?

• JacobJacob Member

SELinux would not be the cause of this, It's most likely either the router or the DNS/LAN Setup.

I'm sure it will work once it is at the DC.