Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DNS: dns Serial numbers do not match
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DNS: dns Serial numbers do not match

corpuscorpus Member
edited December 2013 in General

Hello
I got continuously emails from MXWatch Monitor for one of my domains hosted in namesilo.com using their dns services also:

Serial numbers do not match
Details: Serial numbers do not match
SOA Serial Number Format is Invalid ns1.dnsowl.com reported Serial 1385920509 : Suggested serial format year was 1385 which is
before 1970.

And after 5 minutes:

Serial numbers match
Details: Serial numbers match

SOA Serial Number Format is Invalid ns1.dnsowl.com reported Serial 1385921107 : Suggested serial format year was 1385 which is before 1970.

Namesilo support not helped me.
Does anyone knows how to fix this?
Thanks

Comments

• Looks like in the first instance you had a delayed update, nothing to worry about.

MXWatch is mistaken in believing DNS serials have to be of the format yyyymmddnn - it's just a counter and as long as it goes up when you change things it's fine.

Date based serials are handy if you're manually editing zone files, if you use a managed system like namesilo let them worry about it

TL;DR - this is perfectly normal, don't panic!

• I don΄t but i have so many mails and name silo don΄t bothered
    thanks for your answer

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

switch to us :)

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • Yeah, it's probably the best to switch to a hosted/managed DNS provider like Rage4 and if your domain only gets low traffic, it's even free!

• DeftNerdDeftNerd Member
    edited December 2013

@gbshouse said:

gbshouse, I didn't even know about your service and I think it'll be perfect for a project I'm working on. I plan to host a large number of domains with few lookups on each one. It says to contact you guys for pricing, but I don't see who or which department I should contact. When I go to support and click "contact support" the link doesn't do anything.

• painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited December 2013

@gbshouse said:

Do you really need 30+ DNS servers across the World,
    Sounds Like Advertising BS

• Works for Amazon Route53... But yea, lots of fast DNS servers is always a plus, and if Rage4 set up their system right, all they need to do is rent some VPS's in data centers in a few dozen locations and set up anycast so when you request ns1.r4ns.com or ns2.r4ns.com, your local DNS provider talks to the closest Rage4 DNS server to it to get the data. That could shave off 20 or 30 milliseconds of time!

The engineering might be hard to set up an infrastructure like that the first time, but once they have their machine templates and puppet configs done, they can probably add another server in a region without much work in a matter of minutes.

If they can deploy a server in South Africa in 10 minutes without any trouble and it only costs them $15 a month AND it cuts DNS resolution time by 20ms, wouldn't that be the right answer?

I was about to build my own DNS infrastructure across 6 VPS's for a domain parking & selling service I'm hoping to put together next year, but with their API, I think I can outsource it to them since the low-usage tier is free. I'll only have to pay if my business actually succeeds.

Now I can focus on just having web servers in multiple locations for faster page loads.

• painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited December 2013

WOW 20 or 30 milliseconds of time!, Now i don't have time to get coffee!!

• DeftNerdDeftNerd Member
    edited December 2013

... our data shows there is a correlation between lower time-to-first-byte (TTFB) metrics and higher search engine rankings. Websites with servers and back-end infrastructure that could quickly deliver web content had a higher search ranking than those that were slower. This means that, despite conventional wisdom, it is back-end website performance and not front-end website performance that directly impacts a website's search engine ranking.

From http://www.stevesouders.com/blog/2010/04/09/google-adds-site-speed-to-search-ranking/

Basically, if you want the best search engine rankings possible, use every trick you can find with your infrastructure. Fast DNS NS, static pages, use a fast web server, pre-gzip your content, use CDN's to serve your content as close to the user as possible, use SPDY, etc. Also move your javascript to the end of the HTML, and minify your CSS and HTML. Even naming images with short file names helps.

I like to pretend that I'm building a product that has to fit onto a floppy disk.