Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need Wireless Monitor/Keyboard Thingy
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need Wireless Monitor/Keyboard Thingy

NarutoNaruto Member
edited March 2012 in Help

I wish i had a laptop that was nothing but a monitor and keyboard that came with USB dongles that i could plug into multiple desktop computers and each dongle was a separate channel and I could use the laptop thingy to swap between channels to get on different physical desktops, but that doesn't exist yet.

How can i turn my laptop into a wireless monitor amd keyboard? Any alternative ideas would be helpful. I would rather buy a cheap awesome desktop that i can easily fix and upgrade than buy a new laptop every few years.

However, i love how a laptop feels. Monitor right beside my legs while i lie in bed watching TV and typing into the laptop. I don't want to have to sit at a desk. :/

Comments

• Why not use teamviewer of something?

• Probably too laggy. I wanna' do gaming and i want it to be fast so software probably isn't the way. Is there any hardware that would be good for this?

• BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited March 2012

If you got a 100mb port on your router/pc/laptop then it wont lag

• How about Synergy? http://synergy-foss.org/

Thanked by 2SrvisLLC yomero
  • Does your laptop have HDMI out by chance?

• @Kairus said: Does your laptop have HDMI out by chance?

No. Not even DVI, just VGA. :(

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

You can set up up a solution with a kvm and some mediaconverters (kvm & sound over ethernet.
    It will probably cost you alot of money but it can be done.

• Someone needs to invent the thing I said in the OP. I'll buy one.

• It's called a KVM. They've existed for years, and so long as you use a self-powered one it'll do what you're wanting.

• How do I set it up so I can use my laptop as a wireless monitor and keyboard and play games off my desktop with it? Any links with tutorials?

• omg that was clever I thought that was the link but you got me.

• NarutoNaruto Member
    edited March 2012

Think this would feel normal when gaming? http://www.iogear.com/product/GCS661U/

Or do you think there would be lag and it won't look and sound as nice or something?

EDIT: I have a 40 inch LED TV sitting 4 feet away from my bed. I could always setup a new desktop gaming rig next to it and use a wireless keyboard and mouse with it, which would be great for gaming... however, I sometimes browse naughty stuff and if someone walked into my room and I clicked a bad link or just something was on my screen that I wouldn't want people to see, that would be bad. Not sure wat do.

• NarutoNaruto Member
    edited March 2012

When you guys first said KVM I thought you meant some type of VPS...

EDIT: Holy crap, I googled "wireless kvm" just now.

EDIT 2: My laptop only has VGA, not DVI or HDMI. If I play games with a KVM from my desktop using my laptop as a monitor/keyboard, will it not look as nice? Would I not get to see 1080p and higher?