Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GoDaddy discloses recent security breach that exposed 1.2 million accounts
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GoDaddy discloses recent security breach that exposed 1.2 million accounts

MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

Well, this isn't great. Probably not impacting people here, but still newsworthy.

https://www.engadget.com/godaddy-wordpress-security-issue-1-2-million-users-150142622.html

Comments

• Is everything stored in plain text ? What year is it, 2005 ?

Thanked by 2WebProject dominos
  • Didn't GoDaddy acquire Sucuri back in 2017? I guess they forgot to protect themselves.

Thanked by 1Daniel15
  • @Wicked said:
    Didn't GoDaddy acquire Sucuri back in 2017? I guess they forgot to protect themselves.

Thanked by 1lentro
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Oh, me soooo surprised!

• I blame CumMummy

• Given this was go daddy, was it really a breach? I feel like this was more of a sale :D

Thanked by 1jsg
  • the attacker initially gained access via a compromised password on September 6, 2021, and was discovered on November 17, 2021 at which point their access was revoked.

No two-factor auth for their admins, and no intrusion detection either? lol

I reckon it was only discovered because someone at the company, perhaps an intern that knows what they're doing, noticed something weird in their logs.

Thanked by 1jsg

@KermEd said:
    Given this was go daddy, was it really a breach? I feel like this was more of a sale :D

I'm afraid you might be right.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

I hope Porkbun isn't next...

• @Arkas said:
    I hope Porkbun isn't next...

Are they related? Is PB known for being shitty? I used them a while back to get some cheap domains, though transferred them all to Cloudflare, where I intend to stay forever.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@nickc said: Are they r>elated? Is PB known for being shitty? I used them a while back to get some cheap >domains, though transferred them all to Cloudflare, where I intend to stay forever.

They're not related to GD and in my experience, they are pretty good.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2021

@b0lt said:
    Is everything stored in plain text ? What year is it, 2005 ?

I do believe in above stated, seen a few corporate companies are not even following GDPR (as data is transferred to 3rd party company in India - IT Support, outside of EU zone) but do pretending that they are GDPR compliant.

@Arkas said:

@nickc said: Are they r>elated? Is PB known for being shitty? I used them a while back to get some cheap >domains, though transferred them all to Cloudflare, where I intend to stay forever.

They're not related to GD and in my experience, they are pretty good.

Based on what I've seen it's best to presume any and every providers, registries, etc. security being flawed.