Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New OVH range: "Gen 2 Dedicated Servers"
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New OVH range: "Gen 2 Dedicated Servers"

vovlervovler Member
edited November 2021 in General

New Rise Dedicated Servers

Explore our new OVHcloud platforms today.

We manage our production costs and reuse components, to offer refurbished servers at a highly competitive price.

Harness the power of higher-performance servers, and choose from a wide range of platforms powered by Intel and AMD.

https://www.ovhcloud.com/en/bare-metal/rise/prices/

Tbh it's meh, the new Rise-1 is 10% faster than the old Rise-3, but has only 32GB, instead of 64GB of RAM at the same price point. Feels like a price increase to me.

Comments

• fLoofLoo Member
    edited November 2021

For the quality of the product its too expensive, like most of OVHs stuff. The only reason to choose OVH over Hetzner is the network. If your project is fine with Hetzners routing/ddos protection, Hetzner is the choice.

Rise-1 (Xeon-E 2136 has launched Q3'18) -> 3 year old hardware sold as "new"
    Rise-2 (Intel Xeon-D 2141I has launched Q1'18) -> 3,5 year old hardware
    Rise-3 (Intel Xeon-E 2288G has launched Q2'19) -> 2,3 year old hardware
    Rise-4 (AMD Epyc 7371 has launched Q4'18) -> 3 year old hardware
    Rise-5 (Intel Xeon Silver 4214R has launched Q1'20) -> 1,5 year old hardware

OVH the "premium" brand. Lmao.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • WickedWicked Member
    edited November 2021

Agree with above. Only reason I choose OVH is because of their network and DDos protection. They should also focus more on their support..

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

3 years old is as good as new.

I think we see 10 year old Xeon CPUs sold as new here.

Thanked by 3afn Talistech Aluminat
  • ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2021

By the way guys I think we need to stop blaming price increases on the provider, but instead we should blame it on Jerome Powell at the fed. His money printer is only making the rich richer and driving up prices.

shrinkflation is real

Thanked by 2kheng86 LeonDynamic
  • @ezeth said:
    By the way guys I think we need to stop blaming price increases on the provider, but instead we should blame it on Jerome Powell at the fed. His money printer is only making the rich richer and driving up prices.

shrinkflation is real

Inflation has been hitting everything, but a price increase is still a price increase regardless of the reason. It's just sad

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I'm kind of bummed out that the 1230v6 is only in the worst two locations for anything I do.

• typicalGtaTGtypicalGtaTG Member, Host Rep

@Wicked said:
    Agree with above. Only reason I choose OVH is because of their network and DDos protection. They should also focus more on their support..

I had been using OVH's services for a while but I end up migrating all my services away except for my .ovh domain due to how lacking their support was. Although I don't require support much, its the one time something happens and you rly need the support is what really counts. imho if I can't rely for that one time, then the provider is probably not worth it for me.

For this reason, I choose to go with bigger services like google for their Gsuite and aws for their container services. I also end up with the low end providers because most times, the support is just awesome and ofc the price is great too.

Sorry for going off-topic but in conclusion, I simply don't care about ovh and their services anymore because their support is just too shitty. I'm disappointed.

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

Im 50/50 about OVH.

I mainly use the VPS’s.

I spun up a VPS with Krystal, it’s more expensive, but wow! It’s much quicker using Ryzen 2.9 CPU and support is much better, even though it is unmanaged.

• The only thing OVH has for me... $3 one-time fee for IP.

Thanked by 1lentro
  • I miss the days of the old OVH pricing. I sill have my old Black Friday OVH special - i7 4790K 32GB ram 2x 240GB Enterprise SSD = US$47/month! :smiley:

• WickedWicked Member
    edited November 2021

@eva2000 said:
    I miss the days of the old OVH pricing. I sill have my old Black Friday OVH special - i7 4790K 32GB ram 2x 240GB Enterprise SSD = US$47/month! :smiley:

Prices over at SYS comes pretty close to that, ofc not 1 Gbps, but still. But I'm guessing OVH is trying to be look more premium.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@fLoo said:

So what? The performance of those servers still is the same it was before intel or AMD pushed out a new generation. And btw. the mentioned processors are more current than what many providers have on offer.

I really love my Ryzen 4000 desktop - but my old 1700 still works fine and is no snail at all.
    I really love my NexusBytes / @seriesn VMs, they are insanely fast, but frankly, I've yet to encounter a situation where one of my 26xx v2 based "stoneage" dedis or VPSs really are too slow for their task.

IF there is a problem then it's not OVH's servers being oy vey too old, but many users being totally and utterly out of contact with reality (as in "what performance does my web server really need?").

(Side note: I have no dog in the Hetzner vs. OVH race and I do not particularly like or dislike either one)

• @Wicked said: Prices over at SYS comes pretty close to that, ofc not 1 Gbps, but still. But I'm guessing OVH is trying to be look more premium.

I've got a few sys servers, and all can download at 1gbps but upload at 250mbps. Perfect for my use case, and it works

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited November 2021

@vovler said:
    Tbh it's meh, the new Rise-1 is 10% faster than the old Rise-3, but has only 32GB, instead of 64GB of RAM at the same price point. Feels like a price increase to me.

OVH is a public company now, they used their stock sale to repay nearly $1B in debt. Now they have to show good numbers on a quarterly basis to keep their stockholders happy.

https://www.google.com/finance/quote/OVH:EPA

• @MrRadic said:
    Now they have to show good numbers on a quarterly basis to keep their stockholders happy.

Which means one-time payment IPv4 addresses will be gone soon? Who knows...

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

@Pixels said:

@MrRadic said:
    Now they have to show good numbers on a quarterly basis to keep their stockholders happy.

Which means one-time payment IPv4 addresses will be gone soon? Who knows...

Someday ;-)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2021

@Wicked said:

@eva2000 said:
    I miss the days of the old OVH pricing. I sill have my old Black Friday OVH special - i7 4790K 32GB ram 2x 240GB Enterprise SSD = US$47/month! :smiley:

Prices over at SYS comes pretty close to that, ofc not 1 Gbps, but still. But I'm guessing OVH is trying to be look more premium.

With their continued effort to bring in more SaaS features and their paid support plans, they're doing a pretty good job of it. It's what reeled me in. Well that plus billing in USD so I'm able to budget more consistently.

• I found out from my OVH reseller the E-2386G/E-2388G has no iGPU available despite being enabled in the BIOS. Supposedly they are using motherboards that just do not support them.

The 500GB NVMe being used in the ADV-1/2 Gen2 are 50% slower than the 500GB NVMe used in the previous gen servers too.

The price per TB for the ADV-STOR is just downright ridiculous. The cheapest STOR-1 server is 6.66euro/TB compared to the SX64's 1.15euro/TB.

I believe OVH purposely overpriced their servers knowing they will have a significant number of Hetzner clients moving over due to the change in the IPv4 costs.

As it stands, I'm using OVH only for the frontend, for the cheap IPV4 cost and anti-ddos (through a reseller), my backend is still going to remain at Hetzner.

Using a reseller for OVH, because duck, their support is bad.

• ninzo59ninzo59 Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2021

@fLoo said:
    For the quality of the product its too expensive, like most of OVHs stuff. The only reason to choose OVH over Hetzner is the network. If your project is fine with Hetzners routing/ddos protection, Hetzner is the choice.

OVH the "premium" brand. Lmao.

Hello,

Rise dedicated server ranged are affordables servers (in OVHcloud universe, not mentionning SYS or KS). It's our "second life" product lifecycle.

Since we released our new Advance Gen 2 , which is a mix of previous Advance/Infra range, we put "previous" advance/infra server into the Rise range (with Rise specifications, such as no vRack, 500 Mbps BW..)

So we replaced previous rise (4/5year old CPUs) by the ones you quoted.

So if you want to lastest technologies, you should look at Advance Gen 2, Scale, High grade servers

ninzo